Jabsco 135SL Searchlight Issue

krizm200

Seaman
Hi everyone,
I have been rebuilding the electrical system on my Mako15 1974 boat. Everything is done (and working!) except for the Jabsco 135SL searchlight. The gear under the head (makes it turn left and right) is stripped. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement gear? I have been doing google searches and have not had any luck. Thanks for any info.

Mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have you tried contacting Jabsco directly?

krizm200

Seaman
Hi everyone. Yes, I did some searching on the internet, found out that Jabsco is under another company. More importantly, I pulled the head off the base and found the gear is built directly into the head! I would have to replace the entire head section for a new gear, so I cleaned out the original gear of the dried grease, cleaned the teeth on the gear, lightly used marine grease on the gear, and adjusted the motor mount so the motor is tight against the gear. Works great now! I also cleaned out the control switches and made a new button out of a vinyl nail from a window shudder. Cut the nail part down to 1/2 inch and very carefully drilled out a hole down the center, pushed it onto the remote control switch. Works great! Now my Mako15 1974 has a completely rebuilt electrical system, all lights and instruments work. Engine is almost completely tuned out too (Mercury 1972 Thunderbolt 800).