Best Transducer Location Alumacraft 1436 LT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the process of installing a Lowrance Hook 4 depth finder on my Alumacraft 1436 LT jon boat. I have a stern pad / block I'm going to mount to the starboard side of the outboard, but cannot decide where the best location to stick the block. Transducer mounting instructions say stay away from outboard with in 3 inches because of possible cavitation interference. Also avoid mounting transducer over a bottom rib and then goes on to say avoid outer edge of the boat, can cause interference. A picture would be great if anyone has one of their install on a jon boat and how their depth finder is preforming ? I'm thinking just right of a bottom rib but it's about 2 inches from the outer edge of the boat.

Tony

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ok I really didn't get much response to this thread when I posted it, so I tried to choose the best place I thought to place the transducer on the transom. I took the little 14ft Alumacraft jon boat out for the first time last week to see if everything was up to par. At first it was but not long after cruising along my Evinrude 6hp just bogged down and stopped. My first though what the heck, turned out my fuel tank had slid over a bit and kinked the line and cut my fuel supply off and then I guess I developed like a vapor lock. It would start but bog down quick and die. I finally got it to going though and was running good. Ok point of that story is I didn't have much time to spend with the Lowrance Hook 4, I do know the gps works fine but I don't think I've got the down imaging adjusted color wise to my liking yet. I'll know next outing I hope too.

Anyway I've included a couple pics below to show where I installed the transducer, I used a stern block pad to keep from drilling into the transom.

Tony

Attachments

• photo270479.jpg
    photo270479.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo270480.jpg
    photo270480.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like it should work well.
Yeah I have had the boat out a couple more times since this post and it seems to be working fine. I just need to study my owners manual a little more in order to operate the Lowrance Hook 4 better.

Tony

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Lowrance manuals leave a lot to be desired, I read mine about 5 times and took it with me on the boat, but it just wasn't that helpful, and the on screen menus aren't very intuitive. The best way to understand it is to devote a couple trips to just fiddling with everything, after a couple of sessions you'll get a better understanding of how to adjust it to your liking.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lowrance manuals leave a lot to be desired, I read mine about 5 times and took it with me on the boat, but it just wasn't that helpful, and the on screen menus aren't very intuitive. The best way to understand it is to devote a couple trips to just fiddling with everything, after a couple of sessions you'll get a better understanding of how to adjust it to your liking.
I agree, there are so many different things you can do with these new to me depth finders these days, it kinda all runs together when you get on the water and you are only really concentrating on just fishing at the time. So far I've got water surface temp, my depth, gps speed just fine, but the navigation part is only slowly soaking in.Maybe I'll figure it out better like you said just playing with it.

Tony

Dale Fletcher

Recruit
Tony T. I am installing on a 1436 as well. But I also have a trolling mote installed on the transom. Do you have a TM as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.