EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) Protection, Outboard and Electrical Instruments

NightAngler

Cadet
Hi, On a 2004 \Mercury 9.9 M, What parts specifically should be removed, wrapped and sealed in aluminum Tin-Foil layers to prevent EMP Damage?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Sorry couldn't resist.

Welcome aboard, Angler. I don't think you need to worry about EMP unless you see a mushroom cloud.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have nothing electronic on the motor, you have nothing to worry about with an EMP or HAEMP

however the chance of you coming in contact with an EMP is less than a plane falling out of the sky and landing on your head

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Are you planning a covert insertion into North Korea? You can tell us...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The only way to protect from something like that is to install a Faraday Cage and install ALL your electronics inside. Problem is, then you can't use them unless they are battery powered. But then they can't receive anything either because they are inside the cage. And you can't transmit anything either for the same reason. So you still have all your electronics protected, but basically useless. :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is this post still alive? I don't see anywhere where the OP came back with more info. :noidea:

NightAngler

Cadet
LOL some of the answers... Sorry taking this long to reply. I had written meaning dissembled parts and what parts would need to -be yes put into a faraday type enclosure. Suppose the big part of the question would be could EMP burst (SUN coronal discharge) damage the pick-ups under the flywheel or would they be affected. In other words would I yank the flywheel too, for faraday storage?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Being not to much of a worrywart myself, I would just leave it put together and use it as is. IF we get a sunburst that would destroy electronics, I honestly think we would have more issues than an outboard that won't run. Taking it apart to store it would be a hassle, and might cause more damage than leaving it as is. If you don't plan on using it till something like that happens, it can sit for many years, requiring re-assembly, new impeller, and carb cleaning. And hope it was stored in a dry location, fogged properly ect..... Just use it and go boating imho.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
LOL some of the answers... Sorry taking this long to reply. I had written meaning dissembled parts and what parts would need to -be yes put into a faraday type enclosure. Suppose the big part of the question would be could EMP burst (SUN coronal discharge) damage the pick-ups under the flywheel or would they be affected. In other words would I yank the flywheel too, for faraday storage?

Leave the flywheel in place. But you should use the tinfoil to fashion a stylish hat.

I'm sorry, but this is too off the wall to consider.

NightAngler

Cadet
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry taking so long getting back. EMP is a real threat in the world and from the Sun CMEs these days, I asked for some suggestions as to what 2-stroke engine electrical items may be susceptible to EMP damage. That during storage I would dismantle such things as the computer box and flywheel, wrap and place within a Faraday cage. Since the post, I have found a helping hand from CDI engineers.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Aren't you worried about your TV's, all of the electrical appliances in your home/apartment, your car, the electrical system in you home/apartment? Guess for simplicity you need to build a very large cage around the entire property. But the outboard would be the very last think I would worry about. Besides, the flywheel would not be affected as it is not electrical -- unless you consider the permanent magnets it contains as electrical. And lastly -- if there is an EMP attack, you would not have time to get everything of value protected anyway.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Depending on where you live, a working outboard could be vital to your survival.

NightAngler

Cadet
Anyway, thanks for the insults. I'll pull the coils, switchbox and stator wrap in plastic and tinfoil them during storage
OP

Mod EDIT: Content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since when are realistic suggestions "insults"? Removing, packing, and re-installing these parts is likely to have a higher chance of causing damage than what you are actually worried about.

Mod EDIT: Content removed

Last edited by a moderator: