Battery Drain - Chaparral 246 SSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt. Dan D

Recruit
I bought a Chaparral 246 SSI and it runs great. It has relatively new batteries but I noticed that they drain very quickly (about a day) if I do not turn off the Pergo switch after using the boat. I made sure that all known drains are turned off such as the depth finder. I know that there are constant drains such as the radio memory, possibly CO detector, etc. But is this normal and something I just need to adapt to? My last boat (Four Winns 220 Horizon) didn't have this issue. In fact it only had one battery and could go at least a month before draining the battery. Any opinions from other owners?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take off one of the battery leads and measure the current with everything off with a multimeter.
If you want to figure out which circuit is causing the draw, pull out each fuse in your fuse panel one at a time and see which one has the draw on it.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with Bruce and would suggest the first thing to remove is the alternator output lead.

Wsrc

Recruit
I have the same boat/ model/ year. I know this will not help your current dilemma, However, the salesman was adamant when I purchased the boat to always turn the switch off after each use. Sometimes 1day-use apart. I’ve been very fortunate. Just left the marina dock where it cranked perfectly after sitting in cold water(although I have a engine room heater) for 3 months. Good luck in finding the problem ! GREAT BOAT !!

Status
Not open for further replies.