(ON)-OFF-ON toggle for utility lights; any reason for the momentary on?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Doing some re-wiring on my boat, including replacing utility lighting (a couple courtesy lights on the console that apparently light up the dash/controls area) that isn't operational.

Existing wiring is set up with a (ON)-OFF-ON toggle switch (that is: momentary on, off, on). Wondering whether to keep that or go to a simple ON-OFF toggle.

Any reason for the momentary?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe the momentary position was for the horn? Or maybe someone used it for a bilge pump as to not let it run dry?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ajgraz;n10357378Any reason for the momentary?[/QUOTE said:
other than a horn, no

my guess is someone in the boats past changed the switch

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
PO replaced switch and didn't realize, or didn't care it was like that.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
You could always send Morse code with a momentary switch hooked to your lights......😁😁

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Are your courtesy lights white (or red)?

If white, maybe the PO used the momentary switch for a quick glimpse at night to check the controls/gauges without (totally) losing night vision.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Don't know for sure what current utility lights were, no bulbs installed, but probably were standard warm white incandescent wedges.

Going with red led for the instrument lights because of the night vision thing.

Was considering red also for utility lights, but they would be visible from astern and that might confuse other boaters as to my heading. So maybe warm white leds for the utility lights, and then I can see why there might be a use for the momentary, to avoid ruining the night vision.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Or it could be that the previous owner replace a defective toggle switch with what he or she had on hand at the time. :noidea: