Looking for some opinions on Antennas

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am installing a few new features to an old boat. I have a Marine stereo reciever and speakers in the mail, and I plan to run a VHF in the boat when I get closer to getting it in the water. The boat had a very low end stereo and speakers in it, and they worked (barely) even where I can get great signal with my car. So my question is, what antenna or antennas can I use to possibly use for both the VHF and stereo?

If I can feed them both off a traditional shakespeare antenna, I will just go that route instead of keeping 2 separate antennas.

Is there going to be any issue with running them both off the same pole?

The boat gets used in northern MN where radio stations are generally spotty, but can be tuned in with some patience.

Ive never messed with antennas on a boat or any VHF systems for that matter.

If it matters, I ordered a Kenwood KMR-D368BT reciever, and 4 MB Quart NK1-116 speakers. If possible, Id like to run a hidden antenna for this unit, but if I can use a shakespeare for both applications, that is 100% fine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Shakespear makes a signal splitter to use both a VHF and an FM radio

or install two antennas.

the radio antenna could be a single wire run around the perimeter of the boat like the GM minivans of the 1990's (the ones that looked like dust busters)

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply Scott! I did not know that Shakespeare made a splitter, ill be looking into that one. Being a fishing boat, I know that someone who ends up riding with me is going to smack any shakespeare that I put up, so thats why Id rather have one instead of 2 separate ones.

Ill have to look into the GM perimeter ones that you are talking about.

Thanks for the help!!!

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got off the phone with shakespeare and that was a great help. I have narrowed my range of antennas and what mounts/sizes I will need for the application I am using them for. Looks like I'll be getting a 5242-A antenna and the 4357-S splitter.