1967 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt Starter Solenoid ????

Chadwick67

Cadet
I bought a boat with a 1967 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt outboard. I am not familiar yet with this engine. The previous owner put a new starter on it and was working on wiring in a different starter solenoid. I plan on rewiring the motor. Am I able to use a newer starter solenoid as long as I mount it somewhere close? My real question is, does it matter what solenoid I get as long as I can mount it close to starter?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Is the solenoid bad?

The original solenoid was mounted on the starter. There aren't a lot of choices for alternate mounting because of the lack of room.

GA_Boater

Probably. Does the starter have two threaded holes to mount a solenoid?

Chadwick67

Cadet
The starter does not have the 2 solenoid mounting holes for the solenoid. It is a Wilson starter. I have not tried the starter yet to see how it even works. I am hoping we have a warm day soon to mess around with it.

GA_Boater

I replaced my starter and the new one didn't have the tapped mounting holes for the solenoid. Used a large hose clamp to mount the solenoid on the starter with some short screws and nuts through the clamp.

Chadwick67

Cadet
Do you see any reason why I could not use that solenoid (one in the link) from previous post?

Chadwick67

Cadet
Thank you for your input! I will try that solenoid. If that does not fit/work, I will then try a downward solenoid in the same spot. Looking forward to using the boat this spring to catch some fish!