motorguide tm

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have mg tm 70# i would like to put a little light in the head to light the direction arrow any advice on materials and where to get would be appreciated 24 volt system thank you:)

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know what that is, but the answer is easy. LED is the way to go.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
tbishur, while there are ways, it really all depends on your capabilities and the amount of room inside the head unit. I would go with a small LED that wasn't very bright. And that is because during the night, when I am assuming you need this for, even a medium output LED will look amazingly bright. You would have to figure out a way to install the LED in the pointer and run the two leads down to a current limiting resistor for the voltage you are using. And you also have to keep those two leads out of the gears and such and be flexible because the pointer needs to turn with the motor. Can it be done? Of course it can, but it really depends on you and coming up with a clever way to install it in the pointer and routing the wires carefully. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are thousands of small LED lights for sale in many different styles, so you just need to start searching for the style you need. They come in many different voltage options too, so while looking for a 24V compatible light may narrow down the choices a bit, you should be able to find one.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are thousands of small LED lights for sale in many different styles, so you just need to start searching for the style you need. They come in many different voltage options too, so while looking for a 24V compatible light may narrow down the choices a bit, you should be able to find one.

Yes there are many sizes of LEDs. I worked on a project once were we designed the circuit and board with a self testing capability and used 0201 sized LEDs to display any errors when powered up or upon any failure while running. And even those extremely tinny sizes, when one was on, it was near blinding to look at. That 0201 is about the size of the head of a pin or smaller. Not too different then a typical period on a sheet of paper. But very bright when illuminated. JMHO

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
thanks guys for the quick responce and good ideas i didnt think about leds. time to go to radio shack should find something. i just got a motorguide tm it has a round red disc ,an arrow on it as u troll it points the direction of travel all other tm i had had a little incandesent bulb under it for night operation. this tm does not have one. again thanks for your help everyone.:joyous: