Panoptix P21-TR vs P21-TM

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I am sold in squandering $1K on a Garmin Panoptix plus a Multi Function Display after a lot of research.

I see the difference between P21-TR vs, P21-TM as follows:
​(1). trolling motor mount vs. Transom mount
​(2). Power cable and Ethernet cable (13 feet vs. 30 feet)
​(3). Beam width (45 degrees by 90 degrees vs. 20 degrees by 90 degrees)

​(1) and (2) are obvious, but (3)??? can anyone help explain this please?

Q1: What are the 2 degrees?
Q2: Is 45 a wider angle cone than the 20? so 45 can cover more water than the 20?

Thanks.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems to me 45 is wider than 20. Maybe the 20 degree cone angle is for deep water and the 45 for shallow? i would call garmin and get the answer directly from them before spending that much on a ducer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If your going with a MFD you will need a black box sounder module (GSD 26 $$$$) to go with it as well.
Those figures are the scan angles up-down and left right. The PS 31 has adjustable scan areas

BTW I thought you bought an Ray Axiom system?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
If your going with a MFD you will need a black box sounder module (GSD 26 $$$$) to go with it as well.
Those figures are the scan angles up-down and left right. The PS 31 has adjustable scan areas

BTW I thought you bought an Ray Axiom system?

​Not yet, the more I research, the more I lean torwards a Panoptix. The Garmin Panoptix seems to be a better choice because of the real time fish image. My only thing is the fish image shows up more like a blob or blobs.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My only thing is the fish image shows up more like a blob or blobs.
The same thing could be said of an MRI by someone without training and experience.

Those "blobs" contain an awful lot of information if you know how to read them....