1981 310 Sundancer accessories

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the boat out today and all of a sudden nothing from any of the accessories. All of the 12v devices would not work except the bilge pumps which are direct wired. There is supposed to be a 50 amp circuit breaker on the starboard side engine area but we could not find one anywhere. There were a couple of them on the engines and an inline fuse by some solenoids which we replaced and still not go. Any ideas would be grateful.

alldodge

Staff member
What motors do you have?
You may have lost a ground. Start with the battery cables and check the connection of the ground on the block. Remove the cables and make sure there is no corrosion under the jacket.

If that checks out, look for a fuse on top the starter solenoid, being a 81 model it may not be there.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
What motors do you have?
You may have lost a ground. Start with the battery cables and check the connection of the ground on the block. Remove the cables and make sure there is no corrosion under the jacket.

If that checks out, look for a fuse on top the starter solenoid, being a 81 model it may not be there.
The engines are 350. We swapped batteries and made sure the connections were tight as the engines still cranked. interesting you mentioned corrosion on the block. I was not able to check the connections to the blocks.................it is tight there but one thing I failed to mention was the back end of the boat was partially submerged I am not sure how far so there may be some corrosion somewhere. We discovered water in the oil yesterday as well as a result (did not see it when checked before) and I will change the oil. I would like to find the reset button thinking that may be the issue. The documentation states to look at the front of the starboard engine so naturally I was looking forward but now I think about it the engines may be sitting reversed. we did a quick scan of the bilge area and only found the reset buttons for the engines and replaced the 50 amp fuse just in case. I will go our there over the weekend and scan the aft section more near the transom but do not recall seeing anything before when I was replacing the 110 wiring last year. Good God it is tight in there, I nearly got stuck last year. I appreciate any more responses.

alldodge

Staff member
The 350 was called an 898 for the early years. Some had breakers and/or fuses. The fuse which is on the starter post can be a 55amp for those without breakers, and 90 amp for those with breakers.

Old 898 (350) GM.jpg

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 350 was called an 898 for the early years. Some had breakers and/or fuses. The fuse which is on the starter post can be a 55amp for those without breakers, and 90 amp for those with breakers.

Thanks for the diagram.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the back of the boat partially submerged, was this salt water or fresh water?

If fresh water, clean all the contacts to shiny metal, seal with marine electrical varnish when they are tight. pull the starter and alternator and take them in to have rebuilt

if it is salt water, I would yank out both motors and pull apart for inspection, and yank all the wiring harnesses and cables and replace them, along with the starter, alternator and steering cable.