Minn Kota e-drive - Reverse only

Kurt James

Cadet
I have a 48 volt, MinnKota e-drive with reverse only, no forward. I'd like to root cause the controls assembly to see if the issue lies there. Does anyone have info on the connector schematic going from the controls to the motor, so I can check continuity through the pins in forward and reverse? Does anyone have any other ideas that might help root cause this issue?

Kurt James

Cadet
I did. There is no wiring schematic for the connector ends from the controls. I contacted them directly to get that info since I posted.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no idea about your TM.However, since you do have reverse, you know the motor itself is good. So seems the circuitry is the problem and that includes any and all switches as well. So at least you can narrow down where to start. It would also help a lot if you know how to use a DVM or multi-meter. JMHO

sam am I

Commander
Go here

Page 133 (19-8) and/or 134 (19-9) in chap 9 might help..........I'm with gm, probably control board issues.

They potted these units really well too, maybe even gm proof potting.....:smash:

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Board appears to have two relay's, one of my guesses is a relay's contact burnt open/is carbon'd up, maybe tapping on the relay tops with like a screw driver handle might seat the contact long enough to see if that makes forward work.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha sam am I, there is no such thing as GM proof potting. :pound:

I use to work in DEPOT Repair of "black box" repair, and those circuits had every known potting material you could imagine. And some even had to be soaked in Tricoethylene or DIchloromethane for at least a day or longer to remove the potting before you could work on the boards. So I have de-potted a lot of different PB board coatings in my days. Just saying.

sam am I

Commander
Hehehe.........Cool gm!! Have OP send you his board, lets have more fun!! ;)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Big red and black wires running down into the head. Swap them on the board, at least then you'll just have forward.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Get the number off the board and Google it or do an ebay search, they are around. You could also Google Foster's Trolling motors, they have everything and fix everything.

GM, good luck finding chlorinated solvents in 2017. My brother worked for First Energy until he retired and they could not get them any more, not for quite a few years now.

I used to rinse, soak everything in tri-chlor, now it's poison.