Complete electrical shutdown including engine

RickCowey

Recruit
Hi
This one is probably easy.
Cruising at 6 knots and all electrics and motor shut down. Dead in the water. 40 to 50 seconds later electrics come back on line and engine restarts first go. Then went up river at 40knots slowed down for 6 knot area for about 5 minutes and it happens again dead in water for 40 to 50 secs and then everything back to normal. No warning beeps temp 170 amps ok oil ok fuel ok. Boat is fourwinns h180 with 135hp mercruiser. Hope someone can point me to the problem.
Thx Rick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

since everything is dead, gauges, engine, etc. your loosing either main battery connection or main ground or the power feeding the helm

first, start with every battery connection from the battery to the engine and back and clean them. you want them to be bright and shiny contacts, then seal with marine electrical varnish.

next, locate the big breaker on the engine. clean those terminals and seal with marine electrical varnish

then the big connector on the engine harness that is headed to helm. clean those contacts and re-plug

then move on to the dash, look at the connections at the back of the ignition switch. clean those contacts, and seal with marine electrical varnish.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
First order of business, Welcome to I-Boats!
​I'd start with the battery, remove all connections and clean them real well, and t the starter, Including the ground at the motor. If you have the boat at the dock, start it up, let it warm up, and do a wiggle test of the harness. Sometimes by grabbing and wiggling the harness, it will help you find a loose/bad connection. If on the trailer, just hook up the muffs, and do the same thing. Just be careful of any moving parts while it's running. Let us know how it works out. I see Scott was posting while I was typing...