Trolling motor extension wire gauge??

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at purchasing a Minn Kota Endura Max 55 Trolling motor for my canoe. I want to place the battery near the bow to even out the load when there is only me in the back. Therefore, I will need to extend the power wires so the total length will be 14 or 15 feet long. From what I understand, the motor will draw about 50 amps at full speed. What size wire would I need?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Isnt the MK Endura Max a transom mount? Isnt your canoe flat backed for a motor?

Then why the wire extension to mount the battery at the stern where the motor is?

Please remember Iboats is an online retailer (and has the Max 55 on sale for $275) so dont post competitors or links to other sites.

Might call iboats and ask if the forum member discount applies to MK Max motors. FYI it comes w free shipping too.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, jbcurt, I am using the incorrect term. I meant bow of the canoe for the battery as I have a flat back canoe. Thanks for catching that. Actually, I would want it placed just behind the front seat in the canoe.
I keep forgetting that iboats sells a wide range of boating supplies. They don't seem to show up very well in google searches or other online searches though. I will definitely be checking them out for the motor and will check into the forum discount possibility.
Thanks.
I am still looking for an idea of what size wire I would need for an extension on the wires to the battery.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The Minn Kota manual will tell you what size wire is needed for your motor, and they sell the wire kit if needed.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know what size AWG wire comes with the Minn Kota Endura Max 55# Trolling Motor?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd bet you could find the manual at Minn Kota's site....

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Yep, it took some doing, but I did find a chart. It looks like I can probably get by with 6awg wire. It says that 6awg will support a 10 foot extension from the existing leads out. So, that would give me the overall length that I am looking for.

Attachments

• photo258047.jpg
    photo258047.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0

garyinsc

Recruit
#6 AWG 105c wire is rated for 60amps when three or less conductors are ran together and in open air. Pay attention to the temperature rating the type insulation on the wire you use as well as the butt splices, switches or termination points. Many have a 90c degree rating and that will affect the size of wire. Very often wire is undersized due to not using the correct temp rating columns of sizing charts. Also make sure you are not bundling a large number of wires or routing them in a way that they cannot shed the heat.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is what I intend to use. Do you see any problems.

This listing is for 10 Feet continuous of 6/2 RED/BLACK AWG Duplex Fine Stranded, Ultra-Flexible, Tinned 105C Copper Boat Cable/Wire.

The Bob R

Cadet
esox07, I did exactly what you're planning. I had an Old Town Discovery 17 with a MK 30 on an Old Town side saddle motor mount. When I would solo, putting the battery up in the bow on 6AWG extension let it plane. Good luck, Bob

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob. The only concern is that I will be using a 55lb MK Endura Max, which should draw a bit more amperage than your 30lb. However, according to the MK support page, I should be good with a 10 foot extension of 6AWG. And, yes, like you, I am hoping to hold the front end down a bit when it is just me in the back.

So, are you saying you actually got the canoe to plane with a 30lb trolling motor?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Bob R

Cadet
esox07, Sorry to respond so late, I just saw your question. Yes, the 30 pushed the canoe around the lakes I fished both solo and with the wife on board. The battery forward kept the canoe balanced very well. I don't think a canoe will plane like a boat, but the bow stayed wet and I didn't have any tracking issues. Bob

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks bob, I did get the MK Endura Max 55lb motor. I did get it out for a 4 mile small river tour already with my wife and I in the canoe. It did well but I didn't use it all that much since water flow was good and we didn't need a lot of extra power behind us. I did put a 6awg extension on it so the battery can go up in the front. I am just waiting now for the temps to rise and hard water to melt so I can get out some of the slack water lakes around here. My next project will be fabricating a set of out riggers for the canoe. I don't want to risk a tip over with trolling motor, battery and other gear in the canoe. I am going to be doing it with PVC piping and Crab Pot floats. Again, I just need some warmer weather to be able to get out in the garage and do it.