1986 Larson Senza Tilt will go down but not up - How to troubleshoot and fix

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 Larson Senza. I have two different tilts on it - The handle trim up and down, and the tilt on the dash for pulling all the way up for towing. My tilt works going down from the throttle handle, but the tilt up does not work. I can however use the up on the dash tilt to raise the motor. Anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it? I am not a motor or electrical person at all... Need some help on troubleshooting and fixing... Thanks to everyone in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
This means either your trim limit switch has gone bad, the switch in the throttle handle is bad, or the wiring going to the trim limit switch is bad. Being a 1986, my guess is the limit switch on the drive (starboard side). Here is the wiring diagram, note the Blue/white and Purple/white wires

Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What would be my best way of troubleshooting each of these to find the problem?

My concern is that it is in fact the trim limit switch. The one that is on there is a good bit worn, and the wires have been attached to it and ran outside the boat instead of back in through the stern like it should be. There was a short in the original wire and the previous owner fixed it by running the wires around the back of the boat and down into the motor instead of through the wire harness like it should be. But how would I diagnose this as the exact issue for my trim not going back up ?

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It would make sense if it was the wiring from the trim limit switch. Is this replaceable with just regular 12v wire? Even though the limit switch looks a little worn, since I know the previous owner ran the wiring out side the boat over and into the motor compartment, I would think this would be the issue. The wire he used is a really small low gauge wire that looks old to begin with.

alldodge

Staff member
Take the wires going to the limit switch and connect them together. Once connected together the up on the handle will allow the drive to work the same as the trailer switch. If it works, then its the switch, if it doesn't need to check the switch in the handle and/or wiring.

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So just take the two wires going to the limit switch and touch them together and see if the tilt goes up? Got it.. I will try that today after work...

Next step I will replace all the wiring from the limit switch going around the back of the boat....

And after that if neither fixes it then I will check the switch in the handle....

Could it be the solenoid ? and how would I check that?

alldodge

Staff member
Could it be the solenoid ? and how would I check that?

Since it goes up with the trailer switch then no it would not be the solenoid. The power coming from the handle switch goes thru the limit switch before it goes to the up solenoid. The trailer switch goes straight to the solenoid bypassing the limit switch. This is why the trailer button works and the handle doesn't

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok that makes sense now....

So I will try to bypass by putting the two limit switch wires together. Secondly I will try checking the handle trim switch.

It will be this evening after I get home from work. I will report back. Thank you so much for your help!

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so that worked. I put the two wires together going to the trim limit switch and then the handle trim worked. So now I know that it is in fact the trim limit switch that is bad. Does anyone know if these can be cleaned and fixed? Or just buy a new one? The one on mine has frayed wire and was held together with electrical tape. But I do see a way to open it up. Is it worth cleaning and trying to refurb ? Has anyone else done this before?

alldodge

Staff member
Some have open, cleaned and get it working again, but in most cases it doesn't last