Need to wire a Tachometer

StrokeBail

Cadet
Hi, first post here so be gentle. Trying to put a tach on my 2014 Tracker Grizzly 1648 MVX SC w/ 30hp Merc 4 stroke. Bass Pro where I bought it (Mesa AZ) is "98% sure there is wiring in place to plug into but would like to know before ordering tach in case I need a wiring harness. Need a tach to find out what RPM the motor is topping out at to decide if I need a new prop with more or less pitch. It is an 11 pitch now but at 5600 ft altitude it won't plane out with about 300 lbs on board (including porky here). Tried distributing cargo not much help. Doesn't feel like the motor is in the sweet spot but I come from 2-strokes so maybe I'm not experienced enough to tell, hence the tachometer question. Maybe I'm asking too much to have a 30hp plane this thing at this altitude? Any help appreciated. I know I probably didn't post this correctly. I"ll tell you later how I almost sunk this boat last week!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you have a side console there should be a connector just beneath the ignition key. If it is a tiller steer, the connection may be tucked away under the hood. If you cannot find either of these, the "S" (send/sensor) terminal on the tach can connect to one of the two INPUT leads on the rectifier. +12 volts and ground for the tach are available wherever you find it. If there are any other gauges on this boat, +12 volts and ground as well as the connection for the internal light can be jumpered from any other gauge.

StrokeBail

Cadet
thanks Silvertip, I'll take a look under the console. There's a bunch of wires in there, several that are not connected to anything.