Loss of accessories after motor change.

gydatree

Seaman Apprentice
I just changed the motor on my pontoon from a 2001 merc 90 elpt 2 stroke to a '96? Force 120 2 stroke. All electronics were working great before the change, and the wiring harness matched up. There were a couple wires on the existing harness from the merc that i was pretty sure were from the oil reservoir on it, and since the force doesnt have 1 i didn't think they needed 2 be hooked up, although i think one of them might be for the trim since it doesnt work from the throttle. The motor fires up and runs fine, and I have my nav lights, which are at the end of the switch panel, meaning power is going through all the other switches to get to the switch for the nav lights. All switch lights come on, but i got nothing to my stereo, docking lights, and exterior or interior lights. It seems all connections are still in tact, and i checked some fuses.

I also put a new stator, trigger, and switch box on the force before firing it up. Also, there isnt a battery switch. Positive and negatives run str8 to the dash, just as it was before. Also. Though everything worked fine b4, i put a new ignition switch on and the gauges didnt work and nothing happened when u turned the key over once before cranking, and when the nav lights are on it seems the gas gauge works, same as it was b4.

Also, the nav lights only worked with the button pushed down, where it normally would only be the aft anchor light on. When that switch is pushed upward, the red light on the switch comes on like the other switches, and i think maybe only the front lights come on.

Anbody know anything in particular i should be looking at b4 i go rewiring everything?

Last edited:

gydatree

Seaman Apprentice
Accessory cables were on the battery backwards. Blew fuse in stereo. All good to go now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for coming back to bring closure