Waterproof Connectors?

BigBand

Cadet
I need to do a rather odd install on a Lowrance HDS Gen3 fish finder/GPS.

Both transducers (standard and skimmer) obviously will be on the transom, but their cables need to go to connectors on the transom, about three feet away. I know I need waterproof connectors for these, but what I don't know is how many conductors in each cable, and are any of them coax?

The main run of wire will then snake through the inner structure of the boat, and will emerge up near the bow, where they will also need the same connectors again. Then up to the display about three feet or so. There will also be the power cable at the bow, a third connector.

1. Can anyone shed some light on these questions?

2. Also, any recommendations on the connectors?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a large water-tight cable gland.

sam am I

Commander
Not sure if this or something similar is what yer after but, back in the day, we used a boat load of DGO's, they'll cost ya a buck and a half though but, they are the best ya can get for underwater/waterproof. DGO makes what ya need I'm sure, some connectors I recall had coax feed troughs as well....50/75 stuff anyway. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for cheap/er. Also, sometimes we'd just break out the coax going through on two pins and go right back into a coax on the way out, had very little if any loss.

We used some
Amphenol stuff too.......We'd also use sma's on some outboard instrumentation (piezo type load cells for dyno's usually) that were coax sig's

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Deutsch makes great waterproof connectors, however every connector is a signal loss.

A large water tight cable gland is about 1/2 the cost