Hot Blower Wires

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
New to me 1977 Cobalt 19CD, came with a mercruiser 260, which blew up sometime in the 80s. Original owner dropped in a 5.0 GM crate motor. Taken it out a few times, runs great. Does hiccup at higher rpms but I attribute that to the old gas in that 50 gallon tank.

End of the day at the lake and I am idling up to the dock with the blower going and every other electrical thing humming, nav lights, radio, interior lights, when I catch a scary rubber melty smell. I killed everything and went to investigate with a flash light. Wires were warm under the dash but nothing was on fire and the boat ramp was crowded so I loaded up quick. Came home and to recreate the event I turned everything on again. Within a minute the blower wires were hot to the touch. Nothing else had even warmed up yet.

The blower seems to be churning along nicely, isnt lugging or anything and doesnt seem to be pulling too many amps and hasnt blown the ten amp breaker. Though it is an old breaker.

Hunting down the grounds, battery appears to be hooked up to the copper plate on the back, instead of the motor like I thought it would be?? Probably going to replace the ground wire off the battery, it looks terrible and is loose.

Thoughts?

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Pics:

Attachments

• photo249487.png
    photo249487.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo249488.png
    photo249488.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo249490.png
    photo249490.png
    926 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249491.png
    photo249491.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Not pulling a lot of amps, though I'm sure this isn't the most accurate gauge?

Attachments

• photo249492.png
    photo249492.png
    921.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249493.png
    photo249493.png
    926.6 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
the only reason a wire ever gets hot is to small for the load, a lose connection will heat at the point of contact

jobrown

Seaman
Alright, I'll up the gauge and see what happens. In the pic with my hand, the two wires that are hot and the ones coming out of the top of the breaker. One goes to the blower, the other goes to the next breaker

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I'd suggest that you feel the temperature of the wire well away from termination points to see if it's the wire size as MH Hawker suggested or a poor contact near that crimp connector. If it's at the connection, a new crimp terminal could fix the problem and save the breaker from a shortened lifespan from excess heat. - Grandad

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
While you are in there, that groind buss bar in the first picture looks like there is corrosion. And that ground battery cable has seen better days. I woild suggest cleaning up all connections nice and shiny and replace that battery cable. Check the positive one also.