maximum current draw?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I am working on my boat relocating some items. I am relocating my group 29 battery and 6.6 gallon fuel tank forward.
I would like to put in a remote switch to provide power to the electric start/trim motor. I thought a hidden switch might provide a little security for the tiller controlled motor.
I know it charges at 12 amps but I don't see the spec for the current draw for starting of my new 2016 20 HP motor.
20-25 amp should do the trick I am thinking?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
keninaz, The only way you can know for certain it to install an inline ammeter. But I wouldn't be surprises to see more then 25 amp while starting. Starters demand a lot of current to turn over the engine. So I wouldn't wire for only 25 amps myself. JMHO!

sam am I

Commander
Not sure I understand the design entirely but, current for your starter itself s/would be switched with THIS size and type or bigger solenoid.......As gm mentioned above, that starter could peak upwards at 100 amps loaded, guessing w/o looking up the spec.

Last edited:

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
As my boat has floor boards I thought I would mount the toggle on a box and set it under the seat out of sight.. But I like the little keyed switch just as well and ordered it.
I just worry about someone firing up my beached boat in the night and taking off with it. It's insured but I have put a lot of extras and work into this boat to makes it just right.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
according to mercury my 15 hp motor draws 75 amps for starting so 100 amps is about right for a 20 hp, how ever you can add a toggle switch in line with the safety lanyard and hide that some place

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
As my boat has floor boards I thought I would mount the toggle on a box and set it under the seat out of sight.. But I like the little keyed switch just as well and ordered it.
I just worry about someone firing up my beached boat in the night and taking off with it. It's insured but I have put a lot of extras and work into this boat to makes it just right.

Ahhh heck, all the beached boats I've taken at night I just jump those batt switches, keyed or not.........I'd hide a switch that shuts off the CDI as MH has mentioned. And add a Pit Bull and you'll be good to go, errrr.....stay ;)

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
keninaz, There are so many ways to keep the engine from cranking when you don't want it cranked. I mean if you really don't want some one to start it at night, Simply remove the spark plug boots and WALA, they could crank forever and it won't run. I never heard of anybody stealing an engine when folks are out camping before myself. For that size engine, I would be more worried about someone removing it and carrying it off instead of cranking it. So use a good quality cable and lock the engine onto the hull.

Also. wire your engine to cover at least 100 amps for the huge cranking current. Otherwise you could heat up lesser gauge wire to the point of melting it or a fire.

There are ways to wire your engine so if it was removed or tried to start it, it would sound an alarm. JMHO

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
If I wanted to steal a boat that size, I'd go about 3 a.m. and paddle silently up to it in my canoe, tie on and tow it quietly away. And if I chose a night when the wind was right, I wouldn't need to paddle. In fact, I might not even tie to it. Officer, I was just paddling by. No muss, no fuss. - Grandad

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a rated batery switch with a key. A 100 amp toggle switch will be expensive and rare.

However as stated, no one would crank the motor to attempt to steal it, they would float it away, or carry it away

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I am more worried about the entire boat coming up missing. The motor is an electric start and trim model and comes in at 183# and is not like the old 9.9 was in that a couple of twists on the handles and it was loose and only 84#.
When I got the new motor and went to lift it out of the shipping container I could not believe the difference in weights!.
The keyed switch that I ordered will be here today.