Mercury - Old (new) Wiring Harness, Newer Control Box

Kargh

Seaman
I hope someone can help connect a few dots on this project. I have an old boat with an old 1976 Mercury 1500 on it. Recently I began redoing the wiring as the previous owners made a mess of it -- wires going to no where, cracked casings, etc. After examining the wiring harness I decided to order a new one (Sierra 18-5511). The new harness does not have all the wires that the old one did. I suspect that one of the previous owners spliced into the original 45987 Merc harness and added in some extra wires so they could hook up various accessories. On top of that, the control box itself is much newer than the original but again, I'm not entirely sure if it is factory or if someone might have modified that as well. What I'm hoping someone can help me with is:

1. A bit of insight into how it might be wired
2. If there is a better way to wire in the accessories than splicing the harness
3. If there are adapters to make this easier to wire (I know there are some adapters for connecting newer equipment to older harnesses but I'm not entirely sure if they apply in this situation or not)
4. A bit of sanity (I know that is asking a lot)

The control box I have is RC881170A13:

fetch

And here are a few images of the old wiring harness. You can see how bad of shape they were in along with what I believe to be the spliced in wires (would love it if someone could confirm that for me):

fetch

fetch

The accessories are your typical gauges (fuel, speedo, tach, etc) along with a switch box for lights, pumps, instruments. I believe the original idea was that they switch box only worked if the key was in the on position though I'm not entirely sure if that was wired right. I seem to recall that I could turn the bilge pump on with the key off. My plan is to get the whole thing wired sanely. Before I had about 15 different ends that connected to the positive terminal on the battery and about 4 for the negative. I'd like to get that down to a single one. I'd also love to get this all wired into some sort of box where I could label what is what rather than having a spider web that runs all over the place but that is secondary to actually figuring out the right way to wire in the harness and control box.

Thanks for any help / insight. I can provide more information and pictures if there should be any questions!

Attachments

• photo249409.jpg
    photo249409.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249410.jpg
    photo249410.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249411.jpg
    photo249411.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Kargh, I am not sure how much this will help, but here goes. first, I found a 1976 Mercury 1500 wiring diagram. I have attached it. It looks like your old / new wiring harness has 7 pins. On the engine side, before wiring this up, verify the pins / wires go where this diagram says they should. If they do, then you can install the new harness and wire the controller side.

Next, as to a better way to wire accessories, I would run a single 8GA pair of Red / Black marine wire from the Battery to a fuse block which I would locate near your console. The second attachment is a typical boat wiring diagram.
This should get you on your way. If you have issues, come on back here to this thread. Let us know how you made out.

Attachments

• photo249449.jpg
    photo249449.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Boat Typical Wiring.pdf
    469.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Kargh

Seaman
Sorted the accessory wiring. The control box is not the original.. it is much newer. Has push choke, and no tach plug. I'm sure you already know that I started a new thread with some images specific to the questions about that wiring application.

Appreciate the help!