Stern light troubleshooting?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I tried a search, but was unsuccessful. I'm sure this has been asked/answered, but I can't find it.

The socket/pole-mounted stern light on my 1998 Wellcraft 240 SE only works intermittently. Currently not working. I put a know-working stern light from another boat into the Wellcraft's deck-mounted stern light socket, it would not light

How should I go about finding the problem? Any ideas appreciated.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would check your pins or contacts.. see if there is any corrosion on them. my bow light was like that but a little wire brushing the connector and it works now.

ScottMartzen

Cadet
Use a test light and test for power and ground at the socket itself. If you have power and ground to the socket then the conection between the socket and the pole is probably bad. If there is no power at the socket check to see if you have power coming from the switch and check that you have a good ground.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input. The contacts are clean. Will get the test light in action as suggested this weekend. How should I check the pole itself?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the input. The contacts are clean. Will get the test light in action as suggested this weekend. How should I check the pole itself?

If you already used another known-good stern pole light and that didn't work either, what makes you think you have a pole light issue? Are you certain you pushed the pole in far enough to mate with the receptacle prongs/sockets? And did you have the pole turned properly? It only goes in one way. If you really think you have a pole problem, jumper a battery to the two prongs/sockets on the end of the pole and see if you get light. If not, check for voltage at the lamp socket. If you don't have voltage there, you have a wiring issue inside the pole. Either way, not a hard fix. Is this a LED pole light setup?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks gm.I think the pole is OK, but just want to check. Yes, I'm sure I pushed it in far enough and in the proper orientation - but thanks for checking, it's easy for me to do stupid little things, just ask the Admiral...​

No, it's not an LED pole light setup (yet) - would that make a difference?.

What concerns me the most is that I find it's a wiring issue somewhere in the boat - not easy (almost impossible?) to get to.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
If you have a DVM ( digital volt meter ) you can use that to check for voltage ( instead of the test light ). You can also check for resistance between the two connectors on the pole. If they read open ( OL ) then it is a pole / light bulb issue.
If you do not have a DVM, then follow the previous advice, and get one. A cheap but usable one can found in Harbor Freight, currently free with coupon and a 4.99 purchase.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks gm.I think the pole is OK, but just want to check. Yes, I'm sure I pushed it in far enough and in the proper orientation - but thanks for checking, it's easy for me to do stupid little things, just ask the Admiral...​

No, it's not an LED pole light setup (yet) - would that make a difference?.

What concerns me the most is that I find it's a wiring issue somewhere in the boat - not easy (almost impossible?) to get to.

garbageguy, if you find a bad wiring issues, take a length of string or even some new wire and attach to the old wire and pull them through to the opposite end and hook up, if that is possible. Interesting you talked about LEDs...yet. I bought the normal pole light setups myself. Then I changed both bulbs with LED replacements and saved the cost of buying LED setups initially. AND, if you do have a problem with the LED bulbs ever, you can always revert back to incandescent again. I will warn you about the typical front two color short pole setup. I had to buy a low profile LED replacement bulb to get it to fit. But they do make them. And one other issue, LEDs are polarity sensitive, of course. So you have to install them and if they don't light, remove them, turn them 180 degrees and reinstall. They will come on then.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks mj. I have an analog multi-meter, and a digital my son gave me that I haven't used yet - does it matter which one I use?

gm,
It figures, the light is working again, so troubleshooting is going to be difficult again, I think. Thanks for the idea, and LED experience.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Does not matter, use the one you are comfortable with. The DVM is easy to use, but if you are good with the analog one, use that