Wiper Motors

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 2 wiper motors that are located on the top of the winshield. I had to replace the Port Side Wiper Motor.
The original Starboard Wiper Motor, when not in use, stays vertical on the windshield. That is what I want.
The replacement Wiper Motor (Port side) when not in use stays horizontal on top of the windshield. That is not what I want.
Is there a way to make it stay vertical to the windshield like the Starboard Side ?
I am including pictures of the motor.

Attachments

• 20141110_081342.jpg
    20141110_081342.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0

sam am I

Commander
I suppose you can't rotate the motor 90 degrees?

or.......

Typically there is a micro or similar like switch (those cut wires go to this looks like) that's actuator rides along an offset cam somewhere in the gears of the motor. This micro switch is electrically wired in parallel with the main on/off switch. When you turn on the wipers, this cam starts to rotate along with all the other workings and say about 20 of 360 degree later, the lobe of the cam comes around and closes this micro switch.

Once the paralleled wired micro switch closes via the cam lobe, the wipes are forced to have to stay on to complete the 340 degrees no matter if you now turn the main switch back off they'll continue to run until the cam lobe allows the micro switch to open back up. If you do shut off the switch, they'll park/stop where this cam lobe allows the micro swich to open..........the "horizontal position"!!

wiper3.gif

There are a few other variations of this scheme but I'm sure you get the gist

Not knowing the exact internal workings........

Can you open the motor's guts enough to somehow rotate/advance the micro switch 90 degrees about the cam?

or....

Can you unpin/re-tooth the cam gear and rotate it 90 degrees about its rotational shaft?

or......

Slide out and rotate that pictured main brass shaft 90 degrees about the wipers housing?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have 2 wiper motors that are located on the top of the winshield. I had to replace the Port Side Wiper Motor.
The original Starboard Wiper Motor, when not in use, stays vertical on the windshield. That is what I want.
The replacement Wiper Motor (Port side) when not in use stays horizontal on top of the windshield. That is not what I want.
Is there a way to make it stay vertical to the windshield like the Starboard Side ?
I am including pictures of the motor.

What does the instructions that came with your replacement wiper motor say about adjusting the park position?

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have bought this part used with no instructions. I dought I can still find info on this 1989 wiper motor!
thank you for the explanations and the shematic sam am I.
No I can not rotate the motor 90 degree.
I will see if I can open the motor to have access to the micro switch.
This I will do this coming week. I'll get back.
Thanks again

ButchH

Recruit
The picture you have is of a WWF or WWF copy from China. If yours says "Made in Columbus, MS" it is the original. If it says China it is a copy. the older ones could be configured to either 65, 85, 100, 110 degrees (some rarer ones claim 120 degrees but they prove a bit finicky). Take the backing plate off and move the peg to the sweep you want.