1964 Starcraft Jet Star Renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

I hope the boat doesn't sink with the weight of all the wire ties I used this morning! First thing I did was have to make a run to the closest local harware store when I found out I was out of them. This looked like a good bargain--500 of them: 300 7" and 200 4" for $10.99.

wDSC_5104.jpg

Otherwise, I spent a lot of time bundling and tying wires after getting things hooked up to make sure they were away from any sharp metal, ends of bolts etc. It took quite a while to route everything, but will be well worth it in the future I think.

wDSC_5109.jpg

wDSC_5111.jpg

Hooked up the battery and the lights work.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The steering arm that came with the motor is what determines how much the outboard turns. I wonder if you have an arm for a different outboard?

Going back, this may answer my earlier question about why the motor turns a little more one way than the other. I got one of these on ebay (dated 2006) for $8 and hidef was right.

wDealerPrep001.jpg

The steering arm has a different part number stamped on it than the motor calls for. After a little research, I found that the one I have apparently comes from a 1994 48hp Johnson, mine is a 2003 50 hp. I'll watch ebay and try to pick up the correct one, I see them going routinely for around $20-25. Then it should turn the same number of rotations Left and Right.

Here's a steering arm chart for future reference:

w-steeringlinktable001.jpg

:)

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The big moment: and it didn't start!

I checked over the starting instructions in the manual after priming the oil pump and gas, running pre-mix for this first start.

System check operated as it should, & the starter engaged but it was a no go. It petered out right away. I checked the plugs and they are wet with gas.
A few pics and a video:

I don't remember where I got this some time ago, but I thought it would be great for the boat: (Obnoxious, yet charming)...

wDSC_5188.jpg

My super-duper test garbage can, complete with spigot drain:

wDSC_5190.jpg

"The video" (starring my son's voice, who wanted to be present for the big moment---Ha!:

The starter not disengaging after turning the key off:

wDSC_5191.jpg

The battery sounds weak; it had been several days since I'd charged it, so I'll re-charge and try again.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

SUCCESS! WOO HOO!

After an overnight charge, it fired right up. Here's a video. Wish I had better quality but it's made with a point & shoot still camera and very hard to see what you're shooting with the reflections on the LCD.

It's definitely not ready to hit the water yet, several problems.

It will run for a few minutes, then just stops...not getting gas. The hose is brand new, hooked up the right way.

On a later attempt, I kept squeezing the bulb every couple minutes and it ran longer, but eventually, the NO OIL alarm went off. I primed it per instructions, but will have to reprime and see if that will do it. It's also possible that the OMS pump needs replacement.

At any rate, I'm PLEASED AS PUNCH that it started after sitting for 2 years!!!

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I ran it with the cap off the gas tank & same problem.

After more running, it seems like I might have multiple problems. I reprimed the oil line and that seems to have helped the "no oil" alarm situation, but I'm not sure if it's completely cured. I checked the intake screen inside of the gas tank and it's pristine. It ran for longer today, but after a while, the RPMs get erratic and eventually it stops. I was able to run it for a short time without the fast idle lever up around 600-800 RPM (Specs=800 in gear), then it quit. I idled it around 1000 RPM today for about 10 minutes before it surged and then quit.

I have no idea what, if any, service this has had. I suspect it has had very little. It probably needs carb cleaning/rebuild, possibly fuel & oil pump work, and new impeller.

More on the motor later...

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

My die-cut vinyl registration numbers came today.

I got clued in to this guy on ebay by Jason in his thread & contacted him directly using the "Ask a Question" link. He does various boat graphics & numbers. I emailed him & asked some questions about registration numbers and he got right back to me, providing font choices and several color choices. After settling that, we did a deal directly & I paid him with Paypal.

It was $15 for two sets of numbers (free shipping) and they arrived in NY from California 4 days after I ordered them. A great guy to work with! Here's a link:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/shabestari/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Definitely recommended!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I put on the STARCRAFT emblems (thanks, North Beach!!)...you can see why I need the new rubrail insert. Once I have that taken care of, I can fasten the corner caps back on. Later this afternoon if it warms up, I'll apply the registration numbers.

wDSC_5241.jpg

I guess that makes it officially a Starcraft again!:D

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Busy day - just scored an anchor for 10 bucks. I haven't picked it up yet, looks to be a 15-pounder. Should hold a battleship; I already have one of these in my SF-14. It's really a little too much, but for the price....

anchor.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I've been avoiding totaling up my expenses for this whole project because I'm afraid to know :D, but I needed to know what it has cost me for the 50 so far....and I'm glad I figured that out. Not sure I would buy a bare-naked motor again without any accessories, but here's the breakdown on my total motor costs (all new items except oil tank) so far. Not too bad, I guess, if I end up with a reliable machine that's going to last a long time.

1800 Motor
65 Battery cable
60 Throttle & shift cables
152 Wiring harness
44 Fuel hose
27 Primer & paint
166 Tach/system check gauge
214 Control
31 Operator's manual **highway robbery
70 Oil tank
340 OMS pump replacement
35 Shop manual

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I bit the bullet today and ordered a new OMS pump ($340), saving $79 over the local dealer's price. Before doing that, I removed the starter and checked the pulse limiter, as that was listed in the manual as a possible cause of fuel delivery problems, getting gunked up with carbon. It looked pristine. From the looks of this motor, it hasn't been used much, I hope I'm right. In doing that I found a hose that runs from the carb to the primer solenoid that was almost worn through because of vibrating against the pump. Will have to replace that too.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The OMS pump came a couple days ago and I got it in today. The process went pretty smoothly, I just had to be careful with all the hose & wire routing. Luckily, the pump I took out was already a 4-wire pump, so it was just basically a drop-the-new-one-in procedure. Glad I didnt' have to upgrade it because I didn't completely understand the instructions for that. The hardest part was removing/reinstalling the rubber pump mounts without mangling them. But I'm glad I saved myself the $90/hr. local repair shop rate!

So, for the results...I bled the oil hose and then started it up per the recommended procedure that tests the self-priming of the oil pump. Running on 50:1, the no-oil signal came on; I left it running and shortly the horn shut off, and a couple minutes later the no-oil light shut off. :) This time it didn't stall every few minutes, and I was able to idle it at about 750 rpm for 10 minutes before I shut it off. It runs fairly smooth but I'm sure adjustments will need to be made. The fuel level in the filter stayed pretty consistent at idle.

A few other bits of progress:

My emergency oar, I learned long ago never to be without one:

wDSC_5305.jpg

Of course, held in place by the venerable bungee:

wDSC_5304.jpg

A new home for my $10 anchor (note color-coordinated rope):

wDSC_5306.jpg

And last but not least, something I hope I'll never have to use...the fire extinguisher.

wDSC_5334.jpg

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The more I run it in the barrel, the better it seems to run. I read that the no-oil alarm doesn't activate unless running above 1100 rpm, so idled it around 1250 yesterday for 10-15 minutes, on pure gas from the tank & oil supplied by the pump only and no issues. It smokes less now not using the premix...I thought I was going to drive my neighbor inside at one point a couple days ago. I have to tell you though, as a pre-mix 50:1 man all my life, this oil pump business makes me nervous.

I've decided if I can find a place nearby and the weather cooperates, I'll launch it and try it out. Most places have hauled in the docks by now and the ones I've checked would be pretty tough to use without one. I can't stand the thought of going the winter not knowing the results of all my work!!

Except for the rub rail & splash, it's FINISHED*! That is unless there are more motor issues on the sea trial; will change the water pump and lower unit oil in the spring.

(* 90% new parts :D.)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I decided to use up some of this crummy weather by checking the lower unit oil. Good news - it was practically full, & contained no water or particles/filings. It was pretty black, like the PO probably never changed it but just added to it, but at least they did that. I'll fill it up with fresh and that's one more thing not to worry about.

I also bought a couple cheapie bumpers yesterday @ WM and rigged them with rope for quick use at the launch.

There. That took up 45 minutes...:rolleyes: :facepalm:

Too bad it's so cold & rainy today, there's no wind. I'm sure the lake is nice & flat.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

OK, for your and my viewing pleasure, some self-indulgent before and after pictures!

wBeforeAfter100811sm.jpg

wfrontdeck.jpg

wdash.jpg

wtransom-new.jpg

whelm.jpg

wsplashwell.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A few more:

wstern.jpg

wtransom.jpg

wmotor.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

SPLASH = YES!!!

This thing Hauls A**!

YAA-HOO!!! That 50 is smooth as silk!!! Really relieved. OK, I'll go right the the videos cuz I know you guys have been holding your breath so you'll get your fix. Then I'll go to stills, then bore you with my questions. Sorry for all the wind noise in a couple of them, camera mic is horrible in wind.

First one: Being careful and sane at first:

Second one: Starts out with gradual accel, then slow down, then hole shot.

Third one: Here's part of the ride. I was a little concerned that at WOT rev's were up to 6000, then a little more after trimming out a little, you can hear when I mess with the trim. Specs say WOT range is 4500-5500 rpm. What do you think about that? Wind noise in this one is horrible!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A few stills now...

In the driveway ready for the "big adventure":

wDSC_5390a.jpg

At the launch, a level shot of the trailer:

wDSC_5403.jpg

This launch wasn't too graceful, I have some tweaking to do. With the cold water, I didn't want to get wet! Could have backed down further, next time will do that & give a tug from the side with a rope.

wDSC_5414.jpg

First float:

wDSC_5415.jpg

A couple wake shots:

wDSC_5422.jpg

wDSC_5418.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

And a little side-splash:

wDSC_5423.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Here's a video of my trim/tilt motor; (Again, sorry for the wind noise). It didn't always make the rhythmic thunking as it operated.

Now a confession...the dang hull leaks, but I suppose it's not bad. We were on the water about 2 hours and here's what collected, not bad I suppose, but I had re-bucked several rivets and I had a little more faith in the two coats of Gluvit.

This is back home with the bow full up: Maybe a gallon or a little more. (I have bilge pump issues that I have to remedy, it only runs when it wants to.)

wDSC_5424.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.