1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friscoboater

Captain
This is a condensed version of my original thread to provide instructional help to would be builders. If you would like to read the complete thread (and keep up with new additions to the boat) please click the link below to the original thread. Its good reading. Also, all of the photos are not posted here, so if you would like to see them all, click my photobucket link.

Original Thread
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

My Complete Photobucket Album

http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu180/linkedupmedia/Sea_ray_rebuild/

Well here we go again. This time, the restoration is not voluntary. Let me bring everyone up to speed.

In November of 2010 the wife and I started looking for a bigger boat to handle the whole family. We looked at at lease 20 to 30 boats all over a 100 mile radius here in Texas. One night I was searching on the internet and found a gorgeous Sea Ray in South Carolina. I spent alot of time discussing this boat with the owner and exchanging emails and pictures. He had the deck replaced 2 years ago and had it gelcoated to seal it up, and had the exterior gelcoated also. This thing was awesome so we decided to drive out a pick the boat up.

What I did not know is that the new deck was installed over rotten stringers. When I was cleaning her out after our trip I discovered a soft spot in the far port corner of the deck where previously there were a pack of life jackets were sitting during the lake trial. What had happened is that the rotten stringers we wicking up to the new deck and rotting it out. They did not even seal it with resin or fiberglass and used sheetrock screws to hold it down.

So anyway I paid for a lake ready boat, not a boat that needed $3000 worth of work. Now I must restore it just to be able to recoup some of my investment. I will make it better than new, and hopefully enjoy it for years.

I have to say I am scared to death.

So here are my objectives.

1. Replace all wood that is in the boat.
2. When replacing the deck I want to somehow slant it toward the middle to shed water toward the bilge.
3. All carpet will be gone. It just holds moisture.
4. I would like to gel coat the deck this time, and in white
5. Come up with a drain system for the deck.

I am sure there is more

I will keep you guys updated with pictures and video as I go along just like I did with the Glastron.

Well here she is

Sure looks pretty on the outside
DSC00392.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

This is what I felt when I stepped on the deck once we got back. It was below freezing when we bought the boat, and the deck was frozen
DSC00395.jpg

This was after I started cutting. Nothing but rot.
DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration

Here is the first of what will be many videos for this resto.

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I am done for the day. The temperature was dropping fast and I was soaked due to all the foam being water logged. Not a good feeling. I got alot of foam out today, but still have so much to go.

Anyone that has a boat with this type of construction needs to be vigilant about water intrusion.

Here are some pictures of todays work. the video will be up shortly.

Port side kick plate. It had about a half inch of glass mat and resin on it for strength.
DSC00402.jpg

Water under the foam everywhere

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

I have been thinking alot about how to totally seal under everything. The smallest crack will let water in and boom you have the potential for freeze damage and rot. When I rebuilt our shower a few years back, I used a product called red guard. It is a solid but flexible shield you roll or spray on, and will keep any water out. What i thought about doing is once all the stringers are in and covered with glass, I slather this stuff on, and then foam it. Foam is actually used for structure in these boats, as well as sound deadening. I believe if the boat is built right you should be able to have foam in there, and not worry about rot.

Here is this weekends video

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Not a whole lot to report. I got a couple of hours today on deconstruction and got a ton of foam out. I found this cool tool at lowes called a mini tiller that made foam removal a breeze. Best 13 bucks I have ever spent.

Here is that nifty tool I found.

DSC00416.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

I took core samples on the mounts and they are shot, and that is why I think the gimble bearing is making so much noise. The engine has settled a bit putting the output shaft in a bind.

It was really pretty today so I decided to run the engine one more time before taking it out just to make sure everything is ok. She fired off like a champ, and I checked everywhere for leaks and the oil once more time. I did do all this when we were looking at the boat, but I just wanted to make sure. Heck, I missed the rotten deck. She does burn a little oil right at startup, but after a few seconds it goes away. This is probably worn valve guides, and that will have to wait for next season. I will just have to check the oil more often to see how much she eats up. What I will do for this season is put the high mileage oil in it to help stop some of the oil consumption. I ran it through all the tests and everything is acceptable.

Here is a little video

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Well it looks like today will be the only day I can work on the boat this weekend. We are expecting a bunch (for Dallas) of snow tomorrow. I just finished putting the large cover over the boat so no water or snow will get in.

I got alot of work done, including ripping one of my finger nails back. That was some of the worst pain I have felt in a long time. I am up to the bow, and work has really slowed, as I have to make sure that I do not cut through the hull. I have to say that Sea Ray must have been high when they built these boats. Rot will happen no matter what you do with these things. I found where most of the water got in on the Starboard side, as the fuel vent hose comes through the deck by the seat and there was a tons of water there. I have an idea on how to fix that mess. I figure I have a few more hard days gutting this thing before I get to start grinding. Yipppeeeeee!!!!

Here are some pictures of the work so far. If this is boring to you guys let me know. I feel this is getting redundant. Saw, rip out, take picture, saw rip out take picture. I like posting progress.

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

I have decided to use Polyester Resin for this build, as it is what the builder used when it was new, and if you prep things right, it will last.

Here is the plan

1. All the wood will get a light layer if CSM and resin for water proofing since resin alone is not penetrate well, and is brittle. It will eventually crack and let water in.
2. I will tab in the stingers with one or two layers of CSM and then follow with two layers if 1708 in two different widths.
3. I will then cap the stringers with 1708.

Anyway, here is the video from the weekend.

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Well... The motor is out. The weather here was perfect today, and I got up at the crack of dawn and went to Grapevine and picked up a HUGE cherry picker. Clockwatcher told me about Fox Rentals, and how they had the model I needed. Get this... $25.00 for the day. SAWEEEET!!! Anyway my Father in law came over and we had it out of the boat and bolted to the cradle in less than an hour. We also used the hoist to get the gas tank out. I now have enough gas to mow my yard for three years.

Anyway, after I got the engine out I had a chance to really inspect the engine mounts and transom, and the news it not good. It looks like both mounts and at least the bottom 1/4 of the transom will have to some out. So tomorrow I will try to get the gimble housing off so I can start tearing into it. One really interesting thing I noticed is that the Transom does not go all the way to the hull at the bottom. It actually stops about 2" up. Kinda weird.

So here are the pictures of the carnage... and a little video.

Still had more to go on the lift and had plenty of room
DSC00462.jpg

My Father in law
DSC00460.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

Weird Bolts
DSC00472.jpg

YUCK!!
DSC00466.jpg

More Rot
DSC00468.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

These things are really light one you get the gas out of them
DSC00464.jpg

I was hearing a pinging noise when the engine was running, and I thought I had a problem. It turned out to be the flappers.
DSC00473.jpg

My god I have alot of work to do.

DSC00469.jpg

This is my little man playing with the dremel tool in the back. It kept him entertained for at least 2 hours.
DSC00457.jpg

And here is the video tour

Friscoboater

Captain

Well another day of hard work is in the books. I got the gimbal (can someone confirm spelling of that?) Housing out and cleaned all the grease and grime out of the aft section of the boat. I did not want to be cutting and grinding in gear oil and power steering fluid.

After I got the housing out I had a better look at the transom. From what I can tell the rot only goes about an inch into the starboard side towards the bottom and the same on the very bottom.

I also noticed that the trim pump is full of milk. I guess that means new cylinders for me.

It was really nice to get everything out of the way, and I feel like I am really making headway on this project. Unfortunately mother nature is not going to be very nice for a while. Starting Tuesday we are not supposed to get above freezing until Saturday. In that time frame we are supposed to get an "ice event" in the early part of the week, and "significant snowfall" towards the end. That is just great. It was 75 yesterday and 69 today.

Anyway, that is it for now. Here are some pictures, and a ton of video.

Nice little burn mark on the trim hose

DSC00476.jpg

Gimbal off without indecent. Can someone point me in the direction on how to completely take one of these apart. I need to repaint the whole thing.

DSC00477.jpg

All clean

DSC00481.jpg

Gas Tank area

DSC00482.jpg

Here is the rot I was talking about. The left side is the worst. There is more in the video. (It is wet because I just washed the area)

DSC00485.jpg

Everything for the Engine fit perfectly on that pallet

DSC00480.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Last but not least, the video.

Make sure you guys subscribe to my channel.

Friscoboater

Captain

I finally got some work done today. I have really been putting off the really hardcore cutting of the stringer in fear of piercing the hull. Well, I put on my big boy pants on today and started cutting after I finished getting the rest of the deck up around the stern. Went smoother than I thought, and I hope to get much more done tomorrow. I cant get a whole lot done until the after noon. At night it gets down in the 20s and the water logged wood freezes and it is like working on a frozen turkey.

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

Look at all that rot!

DSC00512.jpg

The entire bilge is lines with the 24oz roving

DSC00506.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

WOW... I got a ton done today. The boat is about 90% gutted. I just started cutting and cutting, and now all the stringers are gone. Check out the progress pictures.
I have about 3 hours left in real demo, and then I get to start grinding. Yipee!!!!!!

Beginning of the Day

DSC00515.jpg

Ski Locker bulkhead

DSC00519.jpg

Killing my back

DSC00520.jpg

Starboard side motor mount

DSC00537.jpg

More of the motor mount
DSC00541.jpg

Port Side motor mount

DSC00542.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Pile O Junk

DSC00545.jpg

Looking forward

DSC00546.jpg

I cut out the rotten part of the bow boxes. I am trying not to have to remove it all.

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

No more rotten stringers

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Here is the video from Saturday. I debated on whether to post this one or not. I was really complaining in the beginning of the video, and I was feeling sorry for myself. O-well, I figured you guys need to see me in the lows too.

Sunday Video will be up later. That is where I really haul some tail.

Friscoboater

Captain

Here is the video from today. Lots of action shots on me cutting out the stringers. My 8 year old daughter did alot of the filming, and she does not quite grasp the idea of holding the camera still. She is learning

Friscoboater

Captain

Here are some pictures and video of what I found when I took the skin off the transom. It was worse that my Glastron.

DSC00575.jpg

Nice Huh?

DSC00579.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Mmmm... Nice

DSC00581.jpg

Hole where water wicked in

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

All clean

DSC00588.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

I cannot believe it, I am actually ready to start putting in new wood. I used a 4" grinder with 36 grit flap wheels, along with a 7 inch grinder with 40 grit flap wheels. It has taken three full weekends to grind all the way to the bow, and about 20 flap wheels. I ended up having to take the whole deck out along with the bow boxes. Oh well, just a little more wood, right? I left the first 2' of the stingers in the front as a reference, but I might end up taking all of that out. I cannot believe how long it has taken with the deconstruction of the boat, and I hope that the reconstruction does not take as long. February really messed me up with all the snow and ice we had, and it really stopped me from working on the boat.

So here is my plan. I will go out an get all the wood, resin, and glass this week. Next weekend I hope to get the transom at least in the hull ready for tabbing, and maybe get the stringers roughed in. It is a pretty tall order, but I need to hit the afterburners.

Here are some pictures and some video.

And some pictures

Safety First

DSC00594.jpg

Just washed out the dust for the tenth time

DSC00600.jpg

This is a shot from yesterday, the section is actually bare now.

DSC00601.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.