Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea King project complete :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sea King project complete :)

    I just completed work on my Sea King trailer that bought earlier this year along with an old fiberglass runabout .
    Last edited by Bob_VT; April 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM. Reason: Modified to include trailer
    2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
    1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

  • #2
    Sea King project complete

    My wife and I bought this boat a year ago as a project. We had planned on just doing the minimal work needed to get it on the water, but of course that didn't work out as planned. This was our first boat/engine restoration, and almost everything I learned along the way came from the iboats forum. I only posted a few questions, and the rest of the info needed came through the search function.

    This project turned out to be a hull up restoration which included the trailer and engine. I didn't everything entirely "right" I guess, but I tried to replicate the original construction as much as possible. If I ever do another restoration, I'll probably do a few things differently, but it is what it is and this should be a fun little boat to cruise around in this summer.

    Oh, the transom was replaced at one point by another owner and the HIN wasn't replaced. The CA DMV gave it a generic registration and hull number at some point and the name "Lawson". I still don't know who made this boat. All I know is it is 13 1/2 feet long, maybe a 1961 and the steering wheel is on the left hand side.


    This is what the boat looked like when we got it home:





    We began the task of stripping it and removing all of the hardware and fittings:
    2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
    1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sea King project complete

      I made the decision to not separate the top from the bottom of the hull. I thought it would simplify the restoration process, but looking back I should have cut the top off. I didn't though, so I made some gimbal mounts on saw horses to support the boat. I patched all of the nicks, holes and scrapes using Marine Tex and sanded the hull:



      Top Secret Supermarine primer was applied using a gravity feed sprayer:
      2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
      1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sea King project complete

        Top Secret gloss white bottom paint applied in my spray booth:



        Masking and the Top Secret North Sea Blue top paint was sprayed on. Painting took about a month to allow drying between coats:


        2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
        1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sea King project complete

          The stringers were sized to the original, epoxied, glued and fiberglassed into place:





          Floatation was cut and added. After reading many many topics on floatation, I settled on foam core insulation:


          The wood support for the dash was replaced. I simply traced the original and cut a new one. It was then epoxied and fiberglassed back into place just like the original:





          Marine plywood was then cut and fitted to the hull in three pieces. I epoxied the underside and fiberglassed the top. I used fiberglass tape around the edges and seams and then laid mat for the rest:

          2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
          1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

          Comment


          • #6
            2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
            1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

            Comment


            • #7
              2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
              1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sign up today
                Sea King project complete

                I just completed work on my Sea King trailer that bought earlier this year along with an old fiberglass runabout (also a project in the works).

                The trailer was stripped of everything, sandblasted, primed with Rustoleum Bare Metal primer, sprayed with several coats of Rustoleum Marine white, and reassembled with new rollers, bunks and stainless bolts throughout.

                Now I can get the boat back on the trailer and get to work on the floor. :P










                2000 Seaswirl 175 BR with 3.0 Volvo Penta
                1993 Jetcraft with a 350 Kodiak and American Turbine.

                Comment

                Working...
                X