16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Great thread Mrdjflores! I'm about out of time, 9 weeks till boating season...and we are having a snow storm! :eek: So I'm going to let someone else do the sewing while I try to get Miss Morgan finished up. I drilled and hole for the steering wheel and rack tonight. I ended up shifting the wheel at bit to the right, that allowed me to move the tach over next to the spedo....and all of the other gauges over 4". I still want to use the angled bezels, they work nicely. Here is a shot from the "drivers seat".

IMG_3139.jpg

I also worked on the seat height and location....this is getting tricky with the throttle range of motion....I need to get the seat frame built, then I can play around with it some more.

IMG_3137.jpg

Working on some of the seat frame details right now.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is my drawing for the seats. Designed it around the pictures Creativors posted and some measurements from of the boat, and looking at some other seats and guessing! I'm sure there will be a lot of beat to fit, paint to match, but that is what mock ups are for! I'm building the mock up out of britch plywood I have. Once its right I'm going to take it to the upholster for their input, then build the real seat frames out of 1/2 marine grade plywood I l have left from the floor.

SEATDETAILS.jpg

The idea is that the tops of the seats will be flush with the gunnels. I'm using 2" foam on the backs, 3" on the seats and 1" on the sides....with a carpet base around the bottom. I need to figure out how to get some storage between the two seat backs. I'm toying with some kind of side access, might be a good place for wallets, phones that kind of stuff.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are a couple of shots of today's progress....the clearances are really tight, this is a boat that you "strap into"......once you are in the drivers seat it is really comfy, but getting into the seat takes some work!

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I spent a couple of hours today whittling on the seat. I narrowed it up about 1-1/2" and tighten up some tolerances. It fits the boat nicely now, and its fairly comfy to sit in. Now I'm mainly interested in working on the ascetics. I wanted a larger radius on the inside of seat backs, but when I laid it out it cut into your shoulder blade. So I'm toying with the idea of putting a "hump" in the seat backs. Let me know what you guys think. Still a little miffed on where to put the 6 switches and radio...and xm receiver. I have a couple ideas that I'm working on. I'll post a video later...right now I'm taking a break, hope to tackle laying out the gauges later.

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are my pics from tonight. I added the little arch to the top of the seats....just imagine the plywood being cut that shape....also remember that there will be 2" of foam on each side and the inside corners will be rounded. What do you guys think? Flat or the radius on the top?

IMG_3149.jpg

Frisco here is a shot of the seat / steering / control relationship with a great looking model for scale! :D

IMG_3151.jpg

Here is a shot of the gauge layout....I was laying it out by hand and got to thinking why not do it in autocad, print it to scale and tape it on? duh!

IMG_3153.jpg

A couple other things for you guys to give me input on.

1. Polished stainless rub rail or alum? I have to uses a very narrow ruberless one to get it to fit around the bow.

2. I got to thinking about how I use the radio in the Sea Ray....more or less I turn it on and it just becomes a volume control. I have a separate control for the xm.....so why not put the radio up under the dash....accessible, but not handy (in the way) then just run it with a remote? I haven't really looked at those, but I know they make them. Anyone have any experience with them? That way I can mount the xm where it is easy to get to. Might make things a little cleaner looking too.

3. Where to put the fuse block? I originally planned on putting it under the dash, but getting to it might be fun once the seats are in. I figure it needs to be some place up high.

4. Storage in the side panels of the seats? There is a lot of space behind them in the gunnels. I was wondering if someone make some little storage boxes that could be mounted in a hole in the side panels?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Hopefully tomorrow night I can finalize the seat and get the gauge holes cut out.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Tonight I modified my side panel based on some thoughts from David K. He recommended sliding the seat back and recessing the controls to give more room between the center line of the steering and the controls. I had toyed with this idea, and ran with it tonight. I think it solves a couple of problems, cable routing and creating a little more room between the drivers hip and the controls.

IMG_3154.jpg

Also with the pocket, the control cables can go directly through a hole in the back side of the pocket and into the gunnel. I have a video that explains it a bit better that I'll post next.

IMG_3155.jpg

I plan on mirroring the change to the side panel on the back. That will allow better storage for skis in the gunnels....hopefully tomorrow or the next day I can make it to the upholsters to get some feedback and quotes.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is a shot of the seat today, I tweaked the control recessed panel some and cut out the side panel of the back seat. I now have some opportunities for some "water resistant" storage adjacent to the seats. I need some kind of small hinged doors for that. I figure this would be a good place for cell phones and wallets...that kind of stuff. The only thing I can think of are the stereo covers, but they are a little bit small. I have 6" to work with in the back seats. Anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_0124.jpg

You can see a lot more in the video.....now that spacial relationships are starting to be important, it seems easier to get it across in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZzISDni4U

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the thoughts Fat Fanny. I looked at the boat glove boxes, but they were too big (and pretty ugly), I hadn't thought about going to the salvage. Gun rack is an interesting idea too....I will do some digging around next week to see what I can come up with.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is today's progress.... I have to admit it seems like the seats are going in slow motion! I did spend several hours rounding up parts, and helping a few freinds....so it was 3 or so before I got started. I did get the drivers side seat built....only screwed up one thing, which I think the foam will hide. I forgot the inside seat frame overlaps the seat backs...and I radiused the seat backs. This is marine plywood, so I'm not to excited about changing it if some foam will fix it. This pic shows cardboard on the curve, but I'm going to use a heavy gauge PVC for the final product.

IMG_0134.jpg

The seat did fit like a glove in the boat.

IMG_0131.jpg

Here is the detail at the gunnel, the gap on the seat back will be made up with foam.

IMG_0136.jpg

One of the arched back.

IMG_0133.jpg

And the sheet layout...always a jigsaw puzzel!

IMG_0130.jpg

I'm not happy with the corners of the base, so I'll work on those tomorrow. I had planned on runner a round over bit over them, but I think the raidius will be too small.

IMG_0137.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok I finished up the seat frames today...sort of, still need to deal with the corners under the seat bottoms, but I at least have some complete seat frames! I feel like I should be posting on a woodworking thread after 3 days of jig saw, band saw, table saw and the belt sander! Overall things worked out nice... here are a couple of shots of the seats:

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

And a couple of the controls....worked out nice, I think it will allow me to cleanly route the control cables and wiring into the gunnel.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

I need to work on the seat base corners, need some kind of radius on them....then I'm going to seal them with the system 3 epoxy and send them off to the upholster. Hopefully next weekend will be pain prep. I have a video that is uploading too.....why does that always take so long! Hope the rest of you had a productive weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well my plinth block worked. After I trimmed down the stock I glued up last night, then I fiddled with cutting a 45 degree miter on it till I got it the right width. 1" seems to be the right length for the 45 leg...need to write that down somewhere for next time! Here are a couple of shot of the sequence.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

0012.jpg

Here is a shot of one of the seats with the system three epoxy on it, and a non treated piece. It really soaks in, takes about 18 hours to get hard. I probally should do two coats, but I figure one is better than nothing....and it is pretty pricey. I figure I will hit it with two coats around the seat bases.

IMG_0013.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Mtribe.....sometimes it comes out great, sometimes it doesn't! I fought with the fenders all afternoon. I almost caught one Bob, its not Murphy....Gremlins, just like in the Bugs Bunny cartoons.....maybe I should hire the Road Runner to get rid of them? I was ready to try a 12 ga after the sealer crazed on me...have no idea why that happened...anyhow wet sanded it out, re sealed and painted them....close enough!

IMG_0015.jpg

I'd like to get some clear on the seats, but I'm beat.....so maybe tomorrow afternoon.....I'd like to drill the gauges too if I have time. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I got a little bit of work done tonight.......put epoxy on the seat frames and drilled the last two cleat locations and gauges. The only thing left is the is to cut the switches and install the transom drain tubes...then sand it down and paint! Hopefully about this time next week I will be painting the top!

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Keven, I'm looking forward to the project at Hiwassee....its fun to have a client that wants to do something out of the main stream.

Thanks for the complements Mike....it has been fun and the details are what make the difference. I have really enjoyed the project....its easy to be passionate about little things when you are enjoying it. That being said fiberglass dust sucks! I remember taking a lot of cold showers to get that stuff off....but it will be worth it this summer zipping across the lake! I will try to post a couple of projects from work when I get a chance.

Tonight I put the freshly epoxied pass passenger side seat back together. I screwed and epoxy glued it together....west systems six-ten.....it won't be coming back apart again! Tomorrow I'm picking out the vinyl and dropping of the passenger seat. I'm going to epoxy and finish the drivers seat over the weekend. I also need to sand down the primer and prep for paint....which will hopefully happen on Tuesday. Here is a pic of the assembled passenger seat.

IMG_0027.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I dropped of the passenger seat frame today and picked out the vinyl colors. It was tough since they had a zillion colors....and they were all mounted to boards which made it hard to put two together. I actually did end up with two that were next to each other. My goal was to have something that went with the red / silver theme. Since most of the top is red, and red gets hot, I went with an all sliver theme. I don't like the normal gray vinyls because they are flat and dull....blah! I ended up with a silver metallic fabric, that has a "cloth" like texture to it.....it has a nice sparkle in the sun. As an accent I have a geometric textured pattern. The silver will be the main color and the geometric pattern will be a strip down the middle of the seats and seat backs. The piping will be the silver. Here is a shot of the swatch.

IMG_0028.jpg

Max also got a lot of mail today. The tach wiring harness showed up today.....brand new, its been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 30 years!

IMG_0037.jpg

And the reproduction stickers.

IMG_0034.jpg

The quality is excellent, there are only a few minor difference between them. Great attention to detail.....I didn't realize how bad the old ones really were till I put the new ones next to them.

IMG_0035.jpg

I also disassembled the drivers seat tonight and put the epoxy on one side. Tomorrow will be a busy day....still have a lot to do before I'm ready for paint Tuesday.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have been working on my list for this weekend....keeps getting longer ! :eek:
1. Epoxy the other side of the seat frame.
2. Put the seat frame back together.
3. Install the transom drain tubes....can't wait to deal with the 5200, I know you are a fan of that stuff Jay!
4. Cut out 2 rectangular holes in the dash for the switches. Sounds easy but the tolerances are tight....yeah!
5. Drill for the bow light (which involves finding the stainless steel screws I bought for it, which I stored in a safe place....somewhere......:confused:)
6. Tape off the bottom half of the boat with plastic.
7. Wet sand the top half of the boat and fix any defects.
8. Clean out the paint booth and shop.
9. Take apart the paint booth fans and clean them...then reinstall on the outside of the booth and make a cardboard shroud for them.
10. Tape off the boat and get it ready for paint.

Hmmm looks like I'm going to be busy!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok I am worn out....long day, but I got a lot more done than I thought I would. I knocked out expoxying the seat first, no problem. Next I worked on cutting out the holes for the switches.....burned through a new gig saw blade in about 30 seconds!

IMG_0039.jpg

So I bit the bullet and ground thru the glass with a die grinder......still itching....but I was able to cut out the holes with the gig saw after the glass was ground away.

IMG_0040.jpg

I also got the bow light mounted.

IMG_0042.jpg

And almost all of the boat sanded down. The only part left to sand is around the gauges....I epoxyed the exposed plywood tonight to seal up the pores tonight....tomorrow I should be able to finish up the prep!

IMG_0044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.