16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

The next stage was to get the floor actually in permanently. Part of that process was foaming the floor.....now it seems this is a hot button topic with some people.....but after doing some research I decided to go with the pour foam. I still had a lot of reservations about the expanding foam. I popped some aluminum trim off a building once with the spray foam...I was surprised at how much force it produced. My friend David K used expanding foam on his....I wish I had some video! He used the tank type system rather than the pour foam. His method was to spray the cavity with what he thought would fill it, then throw the deck on top of it....then stand on it!

One of the reason I went with the pour foam, is I figured I could calculate how much I needed. All of the literature I saw indicated some type of volume ratio...."1 quart of mixed material makes 1 cubic foot of foam." I figured this way I have a good shot at getting the right amount of foam. I was still leery of "blowing up" my boat with it! I thought if it had a way to "escape" the cavity I would be ok. One of the web sites I found, Areomarine products in San Diego, had something along the lines of "have questions, call the owner answers the phone". I like that kind of service, so I gave him a call about my concerns. I told him that I was planning on tilting the boat forward, then starting in the bow and working back. I was planning on installing a 4' long section of deck, foam it, then repeat till I got to the stern. He said that would work great as long at the deck was fastened in place and the excess foam had a place to escape. So I bought my foam and was ready to go! Next was getting the deck in place.....

The front part of the original floor was just glass and mat. It was in the storage area up under the bow...about a 3' triangle. So for the first foam pour I made a "form" to shape the top of the foam. I also installed the first section of deck. I could screw it to the seacast keel beam, but had no way of attaching the edges. It looked like they had "glued" the original plywood down with resin, so I did the same. I used West Systems 6-ten...worked great. I was still worried about the foam bowing up my deck, so I put temp braces on each end of it. You can see the braces and the form in this pic..

bowfoamform.jpg

I had a piece of wood to wedge between the bow support beam and the form to hold I in place...here is a picture of the form after I finished the foam. the two holes were "relief" holes at the front of the bow.

IMG_2392.jpg

I learned a couple of things from my first pour....

1. The mixed foam is very "water like", I thought it would be thicker...therefore it "runs" like water.

2. It has to be "contained" to overcome gravity.

3. I worried too much about the expansion damage issues.

4. It doesn't expand quite as much as advertised.

Here is a picture of what happened...still had some work to do on my method!

foamoops.jpg

I had the boat slightly tilted forward...unfortunately where I poured in the foam, the hull was curving towards the stern. The foam ran down this curve, gaining speed and ran completely past the deck! it ran back under the decking, but some it still expanded where I didn't want it to! Also the foam would only expand up so far before gravity made it grow sideways....The two board are some that I used for makeshift dams....So after pondering my next pour for a while this is what I came up with....packing tape, cardboard and duct tape!

secondfloorsectionfoam.jpg

Actually this is a picture from the 2nd section of deck, but you get the idea. The "dam" forced the foam to expand inside the cavity till it was full (also kept it from running out). Here are the results:

foampop.jpg

Once I removed the "dam", I just had to clean things up, and move on to the next section. I poured the foam into the cavity through 1" holes using a funnel. Once I had poured it in, I put a piece of duct tape on the hole and set a concrete block on it.

funnel.jpg

Hopefully this will save someone else the learning curve!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is a shot of how the bow foam came out....

bowfoam.jpg

Next time I will post how I dealt with the bilge pit and the last of the foam....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

For the last foam pour, the bilge pit was to be the "relief" area. At this point I had gotten pretty good at figuring out how much foam I needed to pour. I would just calculate the volume of the space, then add about 50% more than the instruction indicated. The product is temperature sensitive, but it was in the high 80's to low 90's when I was pouring. Maybe the humidity had an effect on it too? Regardless, I was planning on using the foam to form the sides of the pit. Once the foam was shaped, I glassed in the pit. Once again I made a form...this one was a box I made from my handy cardboard and packing tape.

bildgebox.jpg

To prep the pit area, I put packing tape where I didn't want the foam to stick....and it sticks to about anything other than plastic!

bildgepittape.jpg

I put a 4x4 block inside the form, then wedged it in place with some plywood and shims. Wood shims are the handiest thing ever....I'm constantly using them to get things exactly where I want them.

bildgeformready.jpg

My calculations were right on when it came to the foam.

bildgefoam.jpg

Here is a shot of it with the form pulled. It just needs shaped and cleaned up. Next time I will post some pics of it and the floor after I got it glassed in.

bildgefoamlessform.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well Vegas the weather is always entertaining here....snow one day, 110 the next, tornado the next.....then everything is covered in ice.....never a dull moment!

I thought I had more pics of glassing out the floor...but I only found this one of the mat rolled out...just imagine 3 layers of this wetted out! :)

IMG_2501.jpg

Next was body work, other than the dash and the transom it wasn't bad....just the normal scratches and dings.....I would have taken pics but if you want to see someone who can sand....just visit that famous hull extension project! Here are a couple of shots of the first of 3 primer coats....

firstprimer.jpg

primer2.jpg

Looking sexy huh? Ok here is the wet look! lol! A shot after the last round of wet sanding....

primerwet.jpg

After that I shot one more coat....then it was time to finish up the trailer...then time to flip the hull again.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok so we are getting close to caught up to what I did today....but first there is more! Here is the plan at this point....get the top half ready for paint, more or less done at this point...get all of the work done on the trailer and have it ready for paint. That includes fixing the tongue, winch, and adding fenders / steps.....but in order to do that I needed to.........................................................................

So here is how that day started out....this is a photo of the "high quality" Taiwan ram that I had on my cherry picker.....I don't use it much, but it still decided to keel over on me....##@%&!@!!!@$%#......

IMG_2604.jpg

So after driving around for an hour and a half I found a "high quality" Chinese replacement. I got it installed on the cherry picker....then spent an hour and a half removing the metal shavings that the highly motivated Chinese worker left in the valve body, oiling it and reassembling it.

IMG_2602.jpg

Yes I was HAPPY at that point, see my smile ???? But then there was the glow at the end of the tunnel....that marvelous piece of AMERICAN engineering! Behold the Tower of Power! (Heavenly music in the background with light shinning down from heaven....)

IMG_2607.jpg

After all the work that made it worth it....even without the cowlings, it just looked right! Looks fast just setting there huh?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I know there are a lot of theories around here on paint and body work, but I stuck with the automotive products. I spent 4 years while I was in school working in a body shop that specialized in heavy trucks. They are mostly fiberglass and aluminum, so not that much different than what boats are made from. I all of the holes or structural damage was glassed up. Anything that required a heavy fill I started out with Duraglass (USG product). Its kind of like bondo, but harder and thicker. After that I topped it out with Bondo. If it was just a thin fill, then I just started out with bondo. After that a high build urethane primer (Dupont). When I would find minor defects while sanding, I would fill them with a glazing filler. Just make sure you get a catalyzed one. There are some lacquer based ones out there that "shrink". Hope that helps. I'm only going to have the boat in the water for a few days at a time. If it was going to be in the water long term, then I would have went more along the lines of some more traditional boat repair methods.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Skibum, it will be a urethane, the strait acrylic doesn't have quite the durability. I'm not too sure about flames....but it is an idea! We will still have some time to ponder it over the next few months. I'm leaning towards using a black base coat, then suspending red metallic flake (house of color, huge flake, similar to size as a metallic gel coat) in a clear coat....then building up the clear....anyhow who knows what I will do 2 months from now. If you have any more suggestions send them my way!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is a quick post. This is the cart I built for the next phase of the work. Once I finish up the work on the trailer (I'll be posting that next), I'll be flipping the boat. (I'll have to lure friends over with, "hey come by the shop and have a beer....um yeah we are just hanging out....oh by the way, since you are here.....lets flip the hull") The cart will let me push the boat out of the shop when I need to prime it. Just need to add some carpet to the boards for padding.

boatcart.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Time for an update...by the way I hate winter, its 20 right now:mad:

One of the main reasons I wanted to get a motor on the boat was so that I could figure out where the axle should be located. The trailer had an "adjustable" set up were the axle could be move from front to back or vice-versa. I wanted to permanently weld the axle to the trailer, then add new fenders and steps. A couple of things about this shot, the axle is tac welded to the angle, which is bolted to the frame. Yes, that is a new axle and springs...I added that early last summer after 86ing the old set up. Notice the masking tape, I used that as a "clean" place to mark some references.

IMG_2626.jpg

Next I marked front and back of the two shackle brackets on the masking tape for reference. Supported the trailer on stands, then placed a jack under one side of the axle. With the jack supporting the axle, I cut the tack welds loose. Once it was free of the axle, I slid the angle out.

IMG_2624.jpg

After that it was just a matter of aligning the brackets with the reference marks and welding it up. Then repeating on the other side.

IMG_2627.jpg

Next time we will show you how to make a fruit cake out of left-over hardened resin!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here was the next step on the trailer. I started by trying to figure out where the fender needed to be in reference to the wheel. That took some time measuring and some really complex alignment tools...concrete blocks and wood blocks, lol!

IMG_2617.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the precut parts

IMG_2644.jpg

Once I had the fender where I wanted it, I tack welded the 1/4" x 2" bar that it would hold it in place. It ended up being at an odd angle, so I had to clamp it to the fender while I welded it. Next I tacked the 2"x2" angle in place in front of it. Once that was done, I tacked the 3/16" by 2-1/2" bar in place.

IMG_2645.jpg

I wanted to bend the 3/16" x 2-1/2" bar back into the side of the trailer channels. Making a crisp bend can be easier said than done. I have made a couple that qualify more as "curves" than crisp bends. I clamped some scrap angel and tube to the bar to "brace" it while I bent it. Once I had the braces in place I heated it up where I wanted the bend.....nothing like a little oxy / act to make things glow orange!

IMG_2646.jpg

Here is a shot with everything tacked up. I more or less repeated the process on the back side, minus the bend.

IMG_2648.jpg

The front looks like its bent down, but that is because of the curve of the frame. It's actually strait.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I got a lot of practice welding when I built my dock....I'll try to find some pictures of that....I welded for a couple months on that !

Here are some more welding shots of the trailer. It took me 2 hours and a 6-pack to get the channel iron tongue cut off...it would have NEVER broken off! The way it was set up, it looked like someone was trying to offset a high hitch. Given back as old as the trailer was, I bet it was done back before the drop hitch. Anyhow, I finally got it cut loose (4-1/2" grinder, 8" grinder, torch, and two die grinders), and was planning on replacing it with a tube. After seeing how well it was welded, I figured the two pieces of channel were welded just as well! I decided to reuse the channel, saves buying some expensive tubing. I cut it off and welded it to the boat frame. I also fish plated it at the connection on the sides, should be good to go. After that I added the new jack:D

IMG_2591.jpg

Next was the bow roller / winch bracket....fortunately it was bolted on and came off without too much trouble. Most of it was toast, but I did save the channel the winch and roller mounted too. The "bracket" the roller was mounted too wasn't a very good design....remember the pictures of the glass damage to the bow around the hook??? Hmmm wonder how that happened? lol! I cut off the brackets, made new ones and added the new roller. I welded the assembly to a tube, and added it to the trailer. After only two trips to Ace to buy the correct length bolts I mounted the winch!

bowrollerwinch.jpg

Next was the spare tire carrier, it was actually pretty easy. I mocked up where I wanted the tire (using my high tech blocks), then did some measuring....then a quick CAD drawing. It took about 2 hours after that to cut the parts and get it fabricated.

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

I still have a lot of grinding and dressing to do, but I will do that after it is sandblasted. Glad I put the new heater in the shop, looks like I will need it today!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Ski, but I think they have a section for trailers already! I figure the trailer is part of the restoration, right?

Thanks Frog for the upholstery recommendation. Bulldog hitches are great, but maybe a little overkill for something like this boat. Of course no one ever complains about something that didn't break....and a bulldog won't!

Here is part of today?s work...waiting on the pizza so I have to be short! Boat flipper, here is some more of my "customization"....I want the fenders to work as guides. Here is the template that I made.....

IMG_2680.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Let me back up a step from the last picture. I bent a bracket that I would weld to the frame and bolt to a piece of plywood that would from the inside of the fender. I wanted to slope it to act as a guide when loading the boat. Eventually it will be covered with carpet.

IMG_2677.jpg

Next I drilled the bracket and plywood, then bolted it on. With the help of a few clamps, I got it where I wanted it. Once it was in place, I transferred the curve of the fender to the plywood. You can see a pencil line if you look close. Next I cut out the plywood on the band saw.

IMG_2676.jpg

Right after that is when I took the shot I posted earlier. With the plywood back on the trailer, I made a template out of chip board (cardboard) that followed the edge of the plywood. David K was nice enough to loan me a very cool tool that I don't have.....need to get one of these for Christmas! Plasma cutter.....

IMG_2683.jpg

Next I made a masonite template from the chipboard template. The masonite template guides the edge of the torch, so you end up with the shape you want. Here is the template clamped to the sheet metal....

IMG_2684.jpg

This was my first time to use a plasma, very easy. I got one little hiccup in the middle....but there is going to be a lot of welding and bondo that will fix that later.

IMG_2685.jpg

Here it is tack welded in place. I need to add some tabs to the fender where the plywood will bolt to it today.....then build the one on the other side!

IMG_2691.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok so after I got the other fender tacked together, I cleaned up and put David K?s plasma up?..hmm maybe Santa will bring one huh? I started working on the seat layout?.finally I started cutting up plywood and nailing it together?followed by a work out kind of like I see the ladies at the Y do?think it?s called the rumba or something?.you sit down?move something?then?. you sit down?move something?.then?.. you sit down?move something?anyhow after several rounds of that I was feeling kind of warm?..then I thought about what System-F said??AHHHAHHHH I?m on fire! Ooppps, not really it was just the heater I invested in! Seriously, if you need a heater, this is the one! Northerntool.com??.awesome heater for under $600.

IMG_2692.jpg

I did make some progress?..but I?m not sure it looks like progress?.just a bunch of blocks and plywood frames! Well you have to start somewhere!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok so here is my cardboard miracle! The wood is a "seat and back".....some plywood and a 2x6.....I played with the seat height and back rest location / angle till I thought I was getting warm. David K had suggested putting the ice chest in the middle and having seats on both sides.....it was pretty tight with all the ice chest I tried, so I finally came to the conclusion that I might need to make a built in ice chest....ah yes yet another project, in for a penny in for a pound!

IMG_2704.jpg

I figured out how wide the ice chest could be....then built a cardboard box to mock it up....I also added the ski pylon. After that I spent about 30 minutes cutting out the "seat" and mocking it up. I have some changes I want to do to the ice chest and seat....should get to that this weekend. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

IMG_2709.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday. The first one is a control I picked up on ebay....been in the box sitting on a shelf somewhere since 1984.....never opened as far as I can tell!

IMG_2701.jpg

Most of the progress today was just welding tabs to connect the plywood to the fender and steps...cut, grind, drill, weld, repeat process.......yeah! Here is a shot of the fender plywood mounting brackets.

IMG_2714.jpg

After that I took off the left fender and ground it down. Then I put on a coat of duraglass.....great stuff for projects like this. I'm going to try to take advantage of the warm weather today sand it down and get a couple of coats of bondo on it.

IMG_2716.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I ended up working late tonight....so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Sucks how things like running a company get in the way of my boat habit! :D Here are more trailer pictures that will bore Mick! I did want to share an old boating proverb with you Mick......"Single guy with cool boat on nice trailer spends weekend picking up hot chicks on lake. Single guy with cool boat on crappy trailer spends weekend replacing wheel bearing on side of highway....or getting fat ticket from Smoky for broken light." Since I am single I try to keep that in mind! I got the duraglass ground down and slathered on the first coat of bondo on the left fender.

IMG_2746.jpg

I also finished up mounting the marker lights on the front steps.

IMG_2738.jpg

Both tail lights are now mounted.

IMG_2741.jpg

I still have a long list on the trailer, but I'm going to get after it this weekend. Tomorrow I have a long shopping list for it...once I have that done I should be able to make some progress. Anyone have any suggestions for "wire management" on the trailer light wires? I hate having them zip tied to my nice painted frame....or flopping around. One of my friends used 1/2 EMT (glav metal electrical conduit) on his flatbed. It worked great, he just strapped it to the inside of the frame and pulled the wire through it. I just wonder if that is a great idea for a trailer that is in the water all the time? Unless I can think of something else, I may give it a try.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I wish you guys were closer, I could have you over for steaks....that of course would probably happen to be on the same day I flip the boat! If no one hears from me on here again.....I didn't make it out of Bass Pro alive! I can't believe I have to go there on the Sunday before Christmas! Well I'm going to head up there right at opening, try to get two bolster brackets and make a run for it! Here is a quick update on what I worked on yesterday. I put on and sanded off a couple of layers of bondo on the fender....I just about have the shape right....just need to put on a skim coat and work it out with 80 grit. The fender was slightly concave in the center....so I went ahead and filled that too. I think they should look pretty cool when they are done.

IMG_2748.jpg

I also found this little grommet at Ace, I think I will use them on all the places where the wires go through the frame. I figure its good insurance for .50$

IMG_2747.jpg

I also worked on putting in the longer bunk boards. I went by Academy thinking I could get the bolsters there....no all they had were the 10" not the 8" I need. So I thought surely the 10" will work right....no, hence the trip to bass pro. While I was working on that, I found out that one of the bunk boards wasn't "strait" relative to the trailer. So I had to unbolt the bracket, then slot the hole with the torch.....then put it back on. Once I had that done I was measuring to make sure I had the boat on the trailer "square". I kept thinking the bow roller bracket looked like it was leaning to the right....I check it, yep square to the channel its welded to....hmmmm.....finally figured out that cannel had a twist in it....so I cut 3 sides of the bracket loose, straitened it out, then welded it back! The last thing I did was mark where the new bunk bolster go....used the old string line method!

IMG_2751.jpg

Oh and by the way?.the bolts I bought for the bolster brackets were too short too?so back to ace! Hopefully today will go a bit smoother!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Mitch, I have actually been thinking about using "funny pipe", black pipe similar to pex. Right now I think I am still leaning towards the EMT....but I still have a ways to go! I'm looking forward to seeing your project! Let us know when you get a thread started!

I didn't get as far as I hoped this weekend, but I did make progress. I did manage to replace the bunks with longer boards. One of the challenges was how to raise the boat up to get the old boards out.....nothing like a port-a-power to save the day!

IMG_2756.jpg

Once I had it raised up, I slid the short bunk out, and the new one in. I'll put carpet on it once I pull the boat off to paint the bottom. Right now I am thinking red carpet on the trailer......fenders to match the boat (red) silver frame and red pin stripes.....what do you guys think? Here is a shot with the new bunk installed.

IMG_2761.jpg

I also worked on cutting out the plywood for the steps.....right now I am debating on going back to my original plan, rinoliner covered steel steps. What do you guys think?

IMG_2770.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

The boat is going to have the reverse scheme, metallic red for the primary color and silver as the accent stripe. I think the interior is going to be mostly gray, with some red accents......red can get a little warm in the August Oklahoma sun! My Sea Ray has some burgundy accents in the seat....think I still have stripe burned on my butt from last summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.