16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

I went through the electrical "check list" so to speak...plugging in fuses.....flipping switches, etc.....all systems go, so I pulled out Miss Morgan and Max....then fired him up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJnShog07k

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Your a day early T2! I'm taking her to the office in the morning with the hope that I can sneak out for a few hours.....pesky clients get in the way....just because they pay us they expect us to prioritize them! LOL! The morning looks pretty open unless something comes up....so hopefully we will have a splash! I did the "pre-flight" check list and pics tonight. Here is a pic of the girl, and Max ready to go!

IMG_0269.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ha! Thanks guys! I just got back to the office....need to get my but to work! We went to lake Draper....unknown to me, they have the water level way down....must be working on something. Anyhow it was closed. So then we drove south to Thunderbird (or thunderchicken as I call it). I really didn't want to go there because it was closed for a while....junk from the tornado in it. Anyhow the water was flat....84 or so....I had a little bit of a time starting Max. Finally figured out he likes a little throttle at start up. Then I figured out I put the steering arm in the wrong hole. Slid that over and we were good to go. With 3 guys in her (almost 600#s) she trimmed out at 50! Think I will drop to a 17 on the prop and see how she does. I never got her to WOT RPM. I have some video, I'll post tonight...have to get to work!

lookingaft5-26-10.jpg

Just about the time we were heading back to the ramp, we took care of the newness....just below the surface was a piece of plywood from a roof.....I backed off the throttle but it was too late...:eek: Max has a couple scratches and Miss Morgan has a minor one on the bottom of the keel. Other than that no damage (plywood didn't fare so well). Oh well it was going to happen sooner or later.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Thanks guys....UPS Santa guy came today too....

IMG_0286.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is the first video, I have a lot of other stuff.....needs a lot of editing. This is from the dock next to the ramp. I was pretty ginger with her in this, trying to figure out if she was going to do anything funky or if Max was going to break the transom off :eek: lol! At no extra charge you get to hear David K and B-nard's rambling commentary! For those of you who have been following my thread, the comment about putting a boat in in November is when David K put in Maxine the Water Queen for the first time...I have a pic of her posted on January 1 of this year. Here you go, I'll work on editing more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m24r_dXC9c

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin great arch! She has really transformed!

Congrats on the sucessfull trials as well! Sorry to hear about the scratches though, dang plywood.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks BigBlock, I hope some of the stuff I have posted is helpful to others. I have really enjoyed the boat rebuild and posting.

Today was one of those, drink coffee....come up with a plan...go to 5 stores to get parts, then come back and try to get things to fit together. Of course by that point it was 2, I started at 7, so how did that happen?

The main head scratchier today was the ski pylon....which is the wrong one, they are sending me the correct one (adjustable not the fixed height they sent). I REALLY don't want holes in the deck. After thinking about the forces involved, and coming up with really complex solutions, I have decided that I need to drill the deck. I'm thinking of coring over-sized holes filling them with epoxy, then inserting stainless all thread in them. Once it cures I want to go over the top with some reinforcing mat. Anyhow there will be some post on that in the next few days.....I'm ready to take her skiing!

Today I worked on the stereo and seat frames. I 'm mounting the stereo vertically on the back side of the throttle mount. You won't be able to play cd's or access it easily, but I don't plan on using it that way. I'm planning on mostly XM or Ipod. I'm also planning on controlling it with the remote. I just didn't want a big hole in the dash. Here is a pic of the remote mount I made.

IMG_0291.jpg

Here it the stereo mounting bracket I made...actually two of them, the second one fit!

IMG_0290.jpg

After that I focused on the seat bases. I had planned on putting carpet bases on the outside, but the upolstery in the middle of the seats didn't seem to make a clean transition.

IMG_0289.jpg

So I made stainless steel transition bar and trimmed off the excess vinyl.

IMG_0287.jpg

The carpet bases turned out pretty nice.

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

I finished up the evening by preping for the carpet, which should go in tomorrow..then the seats for the last time I hope! I'm planning on leaving the carpet loose in the back to deal with the ski pylon. Hope you guys are actually out enjoying your boats!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I started out the day trying to figure out why my battery puked in the bilge....think that might have had something to do with how I had it tied down...at an angle. Started another thread on that issue. After cleaning up the mess, I did get the carpet in (didn't glue it down behind the seats because of the ski pylon issue.) Can anything be simple on a boat, lol! The carpet went in smoothly, ended up with a couple of relief cuts up under the bow, not to bad at all.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

I also got the stereo in...hope Jay doesn't see my wiring mess on this! I'm amazed at the amount of wire I have in her....you would think I was wiring a main frame or something!

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Tomorrow I'm working on speaker boxes.....why can I see that taking all day????

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Tonight I worked on mounting the ski pylon. I didn't want to, but I didn't see any choice but to drill the floor. I used the non-adjustable base for a template (hope the adjustable one has the same base :eek:) Then drilled 3/4" holes into the deck. I dug some of the foam out from under the plywood around the holes so the epoxy would have more "bite".

IMG_0318.jpg

After that I filled the holes with west systems six-10 epoxy and imbeded some stainless lag bolts. I didn't drill the one in the center deep, since I can run a lag screw into the sea cast keel beam. I made a template to keep them aligned...I put packing tape on the back side of the card board....hope that trick works on epoxy, guess we will find out!

IMG_0319.jpg

I also worked on mounting the depth finder in the dash....wrong size hardware, back to ace!

I built two speaker boxes for 6x9's up under the dash. I should have those carpeted and installed tomorrow. This short week is keeping my busy, I'm headed to the big pond Friday at noon!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

It was a long evening in the shop tonight. I started out by hooking up the cylinder head temperature sender, got it today. That little thing is a pain to find.

IMG_0324.jpg

I also covered the speaker boxes in carpet and glued clip angles to the hull to mount them too. After that I hooked up the depth finder and the air temperature sender. I'm going to wait until I figure out the swim platform to put in the water temperature sensor. It was a little bit of a pain, the wires were really small gauge....so I ended up soldering them together. I still need to straiten up the gauges some.

IMG_0321.jpg

I also worked on the ski pylon mounting hardware. I epoxied stainless fender washers over the epoxy plugs I put in last night.

IMG_0320.jpg

After it dried, I ground off the excess epoxy and put a couple of 2 oz layers of mat over the entire assembly. I figure if the thing comes off, part of the floor is going with it!

IMG_0329.jpg

Tomorrow I have a bunch of parts coming in, tilt sender, fuel tank and related hardware, ski pylon (hopefully the correct one this time), rectifier (my mechanic recommended replacing this one given the voltage issue).....So I have to get all that put on tomorrow to be lake ready on Friday (except the fuel tank). I also found an ice chest that will work pretty good. Its a Coleman "stacker", think they just came out with them. Hope everyone is having a good "short week"!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Big Pete, you can do it too....its just one step at a time, and sometimes a couple steps backwards!

The weekend was good, but I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted out on Miss Morgan. My dad came down...we had some neighborhood "politics" that came up last weekend....so he wanted to see what was going on. On Saturday morning, he got up at O-five-thirty.....stomped around a while....when I got up at 7 (I turned in about 12 the night before after a few beverages....) he had a list of things that need "fixed".....so it was about 3 by the time I got to go play! Naturally BBO there were no parking spots at the cut by then, so I got to park on the "married" side of the island. There were some hotties, just all attached to large guys, lol! Oh well we still have all summer! I didn't get any "action shots" just a few stills. And Vegas I had that damn gypsy queen song stuck in my head all weekend, lol!

IMG_0346.jpg

So I have a lot to fix / change. First thing is getting Max squared away on the voltage issue. I'm heading over to the boat place in the am. The xm antenna needs moved....kept losing the signal when I put my hand on the throttle....I also need to finish up the ski pylon and the built in tank....and the back speakers....and a bunch of other details! I have a feeling it will take all summer to get her "done". What do you guys think about the "sleek" graphics? We worked that up based on Vegas's pics and some font info he sent me. Thanks Vegas!

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, I was thinking about buying this boat on craigslist. What do yall think. Seems like a good boat. The only thing is, the guy selling it says the upholstery is "serviceable" which to me is code for "sucks". I don't know, the price might be a little steep also.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1788300079.html

lol-049.gif

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I managed to get back to Miss Morgan this afternoon. It was 91 by the way tallCanadian and humid.....I was wishing I was at the lake! I installed the ski pylon, now all I need is a limit switch to keep Max from head butting it so to speak.

IMG_0371.jpg

Naturally I had to go to Ace for a drill bit.....never fails. Let me know if you need to borrow a 5/8 HSS drill bit! I also love how the manufacturer says ,"just drill a 1/4" hole through the round tube". Ok first of all drilling anything that is round is pain...then throw in harder than hell 304 stainless. Anyhow its done.

IMG_0373.jpg

I also got the pinstripe on, so looks like I have run out of excuses to wax her!

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Here is a shot of the somewhat dirty interior. The rounded corners on the seat bases were worth the time, they work great!

IMG_0376.jpg

I looked at installing a 12 gallon tank in the back....didn't work, surprise surprise.....so I'm thinking I may just stick with the portable tanks this season and modify things next fall. I can see a custom tank coming into play.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok the vidio link worked this time Mrs BBO.....I think that guy needs to search transom repair on the forum!

Tonight I replaced the rectifier with a CDI voltage regulator. More less Max's voltage regulation system was a little primitive....it worked great before we started putting electronics in boats. Anyhow I called CDI and they recommended this voltage rectifier / regulator. I think its more or less what they put on the later models, with an adapter plate. So the directions read like a sales guide.....remove the rectifier wires and two screws.....bolt on the adapter plate and the regulator...the connect the wires. 10 minutes right? Nope! The "kit" is a one size fits all.....so I had to mount the regulator in a different area than the rectifier due to its size.... Here is a shot of the rectifier, its the black rectangle with the yellow and red wires going to it.

IMG_0394.jpg

Here is a wider view, the rectifier is at the top in the middle, I mounted the voltage regulator lower on the motor, on the right side of all the wiring, below the starter.

IMG_0395.jpg

After figuring out where it would fit, I needed di-electric grease and some 10-32 pan head screws...off to ace and the auto parts store. I drilled and tapped new mounting holes, then mounted the regulator and adapter plate (think its also a heat sink)....of course the lead were too short so I had to extend them. Here is a couple of shots of the finished product.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

I pulled her out and fired her up. I ran her at about 2K for 10 miniutes and the voltage never moved above about 12.2V. Hopefully that solves that problem. Here is a shot of the gauges at night...the depth finder is the really bright one, LCD.

IMG_0400.jpg

I also changed the fuel filter....need to vacuum and I think we are ready for the next round of lake "test" next weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks XateEsix! I need to get BBO to sell this sea ray for me so I can start my next thread......lol! I was going through pics from two weekends ago and thought this one was kind of cool.

IMG_0350.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.