Finished Restoration, 1983 16 ft. Landau

Status
Not open for further replies.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is sort of a re-post of my completed restoration. I kept a log of my activities (in html) and posted it to my private webspace for therapy while I was restoring. I also asked specific questions here and got lots of great information. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I posted a link to my site, but it wasn't in a form that could be transferred to the completed projects forum. The moderator informed me that how it needed to be formatted. I whined a bit, but he stuck to his guns (great trait in a moderator), so I was forced to produce the readers digest version of my resto and I wanted to re-post, a) because I'm proud of the way it turned out and b) (minor) I thought some of the lessons I learned and some of the ideas (like finding non-wood materials and creating a drain-line so that my flotation foam won't get waterlogged) may be of general interest. So, here's the edited version (still a few posts). Hope it gets some prime-time on the completed projects forum...

16 ft Landau boat refurbished. It's a 1983 and the previous owner (somewhere along the line) put in a new floor and console (so it seems). Here's some beforehand pictures.

MidMarch%20009.jpg

Here's how it looked after purchase.

MidMarch%20010.jpg

Not too bad. It's got a 60 HP Johnson, which had great compression (140?1 PSI).

So, here's the start. First the floor needed to be removed. It's hard to see, but the seat bracket was almost completely rotted out of the floor. Wood! No place for it on a modern boat!

lateOct06%20002.jpg

Here's the front piece of plywood removed.

lateOct06%20006.jpg

Look at the rot!

Here's the bow with the plywood floor removed.

lateOct06%20004.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Re-post (sort-of) Finished Restoration, 1983 16 ft. Landau

Here's removing the console and starting in on the carpet...

lateOct06%20009.jpg

Now to get all the old carpet off...

lateOct06%20037.jpg

Down to the plywood...

lateOct06%20038.jpg

lateOct06%20040.jpg

Now the real job begins! There was a mess of polyurethane foam sprayed in. Not really a quality job. I think it's a good idea and plan to redo the foam filling. But, the stuff was not put in very well! Here's what was waiting for me under the rotten floor:

BoatRepair%20001.jpg

boat06%20003.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a number of scrapers and spatulas. This stuff was rigid and waterlogged. What a chore! Here's the bow finally scraped clean. I removed the front compartment by grinding off the rivets and pulling out the aluminum panels.

Jun08%20002.jpg

So, my buddy does fabrication work. Check out the welded in supports he put in! He ran all the vertical cross members (i.e. bow to stern). They're gonna make the floor really stiff.

Jun08%20003.jpg

OK, so now that the insides are gutted, I decided that I should go ahead and replace the transom - it's plywood. Again, there's gonna' be NO wood on this boat. So, I ground off all the rivets, but it was still a chore to get out! I wanted to replace the transom with something that will never rot. But what... I?ve heard of people using Coosa board (but it?s VERY pricey). I found a place up near Altoona, PA that sells "odd" pieces of fiberglass. The owner apparently works at a plant. So, I got a couple of fiberglass ply sheets for about $20. The transom was 1 1/4" thick plywood, so I had to laminate two 1/2" and one 1/4" fiberglass laminate sheets... Sounds easier than it was. First, I had to remove the old transom...

august07%20001.jpg

august07%20005.jpg

Here are some lag bolts with a bunch of clamps to tighten all areas. I buffed up the fiberglass sheets really well to get a good binding.

Jun08%20005-1.jpg

Here's putting the holes in the 1/4" laminate sheet using the old transom...

Jul08%20001.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's putting the holes in the 1/4" laminate sheet using the old transom...

Jul08%20001.jpg

Now, the final lamination (two 1/2" sheets laminated to one 1/4" sheet). Aluminum is so much easier (and less splintery painful) to work with!

Jul08%20004.jpg

Now, I had to cut out the shape of the transom. This fiberglass "plywood" is some kind of hard. My saw blade was trashed and I finally broke down and bought some fiberglass/aluminum jigsaw blades (expensive). They last about 5 minutes of cutting and it took me forever cutting out this shape!!!

Jul08%20005.jpg

Here's the final cutout... Just needs some belt sanding.

Jul08%20010.jpg

This baby will NEVER rot!!!

I'm sure this is the way it is with every boat owner, but as long as I've got the whole floor out and I'm replacing the transom, I might as well give the boat a good painting? Right?
I had the neighbors help me flip the boat over. Then I had to grind off all the old oxidation and/or paint from the existing hull...

MidFeb08%20010.jpg

MidFeb08%20012.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, here's more of the cleanup before painting

EarlyMar08%20004.jpg

May08%20367.jpg

After the primer, a good full coat of paint!

May08%20368.jpg

May08%20367.jpg

After the primer, a good full coat of paint!

May08%20369.jpg

May08%20370.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the hull after the last few coats!

Jun08%20027.jpg

I slid the new transom in place and lined up existing holes

Jul08%20032.jpg

Then, my buddy welded in some support square tubing in the bow section (he can really do it nice!).

Jul08%20042.jpg

Here's my new console. I got one from eBay ($120) which is all plastic. I removed the steering wheel from the old console (and control box), then I got some switches, mounted the depthfinder. There was a goofy recessed area which had drink holders. I removed it and installed a hatch so there will be usable space. I put hinges on the existing access panel which should help when installing the electrical and steering/engine controls.

Jul08%20178.jpg

Unfortunately, my oil change reservoir was stored on top of the console (by me) and the used diesel oil leaked all down the front (which is the nasty black line). Haven't been able to fully remove it. I guess it's like the first scratch....

Jul08%20179.jpg

Here's installation of the bait pump access and foam spray hatches

Jul08%20183.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now, it's time to paint and finish the upper hull. Primer first:

Jul08%20184.jpg

Then, the top coat:

Jul08%20190.jpg

Now, I have to route the PVC conduit in for the bait tank (livewell) which has a pump side and drain side. I notched the ends to fit "into" the aluminum flashing so they stay in place in the stern. The ends had to be sawed off as there isn't a whole lot of room to play with. Then conduit for the control cables, electrical, and steering. This was tough because a 45 ? angle was as sharp as could be done and still fit in the control cables (which have about 8" of rigid metal).

Jul08%20196.jpg

I put in SS hold-downs for the cooler that can be placed fore of the console. I got these from McMaster - they're only around $4. The perko ones (which are galvanized steel) will run over $20 a piece at West Marine. What a crime! Used all stainless fasteners with nylon-core nuts. This'll never break free or get loose! Also note the nut-serts here as well. They're 3/8" threaded beasts that are inserted like a rivet. Popeye would'a had a time with these guys. I'm exhausted from squeezing the install tool, but I finally got them in. They'll hold in the leaning post and the console. They're all aluminum. OK, now time for a little pre-assembly to make sure the deck fits flush (which required some grinding away on one face of the square scaffold tubing).

100_0013.jpg

Here's the trailer restoration. It was a mess (wish I had my older boat's aluminum trailer!!!). It needs new rollers and all the surface rust to be ground off. I got some rustoleum primer and paint so that I could cover the major rust areas.

Here's the trailer before:

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then, a coat of primer:

PICT0009.jpg

Then, the topcoat (wish I'd used a different color than ?aluminum.?

PICT0014.jpg

Here's the bunk boards installed on fiberforce recycled lumber (no rot) with carpet and stainless screws

Aug08%20028.jpg

Note also the new rollers - pricey, but they're fully greased and spin freely!

Aug08%20027.jpg

Here I added a coat of Gorilla Grip to the fenderwells so they'll be grippy when climbing in and out of the boat!

Aug08%20035.jpg

Here's the finished job

Aug08%20034.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now it's time to install the floor. I placed the aluminum floor panels in and made sure everything measured up so that they could be riveted in place. I used stainless 3/16" rivets so that the floor wouldn't "buckle" up when the expanding foam was installed. I wanted something that I could use for a "french drain" line so that any waterlooging in the foam would be allowed to drain out. I used a PVC pipe (2") and drilled a bunch of hole in it. But, what would allow water to drain, but not fill up with foam when I sprayed it in? My brother-in-law who's a plumber suggested packing it with bread (which would melt out or rot). Having recently had my daughter in a "crafts" program, it dawned on me that paper mache might work very well. It is very hard when dry - not impacted by epoxy, but converted to mush when inundated with water. Here's the center drain line "mached" in place.

100_0017.jpg

Nice organized workspace, huh.... Note the air-powered rivet gun. This was a Godsend! For $35 at Harbor Freight, it was worth every penny!

100_0021.jpg

Here's the front floor panel riveted in place and foamed.

100_0022.jpg

Now the bow deck...

100_0023.jpg

Here's the middle panel installed and awaiting a foam bath.

100_0024.jpg

Now, all foamed in...

100_0026.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next, I primed the aluminum floor and added coats of Gorilla Grip covering (Dolphin Grey).

Aug08%20017.jpg

Here's the final coat, dried and tape removed!

Aug08%20026.jpg

Here's detail of the bait system. There's a modular plug that's valved (on both sides). Popping this in will allow flow and drain.

Aug08%20024.jpg

Even though it'll cause a bit more drag, for durability, I decided to coat the centerline (the paint was already worn off just from moving the boat around) with a couple of coats of Grizzly Grip.

Aug08%20037.jpg

Now, here's fitting in the console

Aug08%20040-1.jpg

OK, here's the freshly painted engine mount - I put a small plate on the bottom so that water doesn't get caught in the bracket and shoot up into the transom.

Aug08%20046.jpg

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the final installation, putting in the console, leaning post, outboard and cables, and wiring:

Sep08%20003.jpg

Finally, here's the outboard hooked up and ready to go! The steering cable finally arrived...

Sep08%20008.jpg

Well, I'm going to do a few more things (install a windshield, get the bait tank working, install a T-Top), but I fired up the engine today (one crank after almost a year of sitting!), and am certifying this baby ready to hit the water! You saw the few before pictures. Now, here's the after:

Sep08%20010.jpg

Sep08%20011.jpg

Sep08%20014.jpg

Sep08%20087-1.jpg

See you on the water!!!

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All, thanks for the votes! My webspace certainly has burps in availability (cost is low, but so is the reliability at times). Sadly, this project took about a year... I was hoping to be done this Spring, but as you can see from the ages represented in the group on the boat, I've got some young ones to keep occupied. I tried to let them help out and explain things along the way (when my patience would permit) and my daughter (almost 7) told me numerous times after our shakedown cruise that the restoration journey was well worth it (she was squealing with delight!).

DJ, you had to mention the outboard! It was in the plans, but I just couldn't do another step right now! I'm planning that for the winter/spring (as well as putting on the T-top). As with all boats, there is a list of "incompletes" and "to be dones." I looked into getting a sticker set and it wasn't available online, so I've got to do some searching. We used to paint our tractors frequently when I was a kid, so I'm handy with the air sprayer! I think I'll keep updating my web pages as minor improvements ensue... Thanks again for the votes!!!

Have to leave you with another view of the smiles!
Sep08 096.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.