Walking foot sewing machine -- Reliant Barracuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
If anyone out their own's a Reliant Barracuda we would appreciate their opinion on this machine "Reliant Barracuda from defender" is similar to the Sailtrie LS1Z but $200 less.

The reviews are mixed on Amazon but not very conclusive.

Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd shop around on AllofCraigslist.com for the LS1Z used. You can usually find them for $400. You KNOW they are quality. Or better yet a used JUKI or Consew. I got an old REX for $300 and it works GREAT

wellcraft-classic210

WOG--That sounds like a pretty good deal you found. I am not seeing much under $1000 and nothing in my area --- I am still interested in trying to find someone who has owned & used one of these machines or even similar cost machines with availability.

wellcraft-classic210

Still searching and found the REX607 to be very low cost at $300 on Ebay and some claims that it is an LS1 type machine. Anyone own or used one of these ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'll chime in again. Never owned one but...In my quest for my machine a few years back, I did an extensive amount of research on walking foot machines. I called the major MFG's including Consew, Salirite, Juki, Singer etc.. Spoke with the Sales Reps. got their material etc... All great machines and very pricey!!!!:eek: I learned alot!!! I also learned that several Chinese and Taiwanese companies make these "Portable Clone" Walking foot machines with varying degrees of Quality Controls. The parts are almost identical and interchangeable. The REX clone isn't much different than the Reliant or the TacSew or any of the others. That's why they all look the same. Sailrite Bought the factory where theirs is made in order to ensure the QC of their machines and thus the reason for their higher costs. The old adage you get what you pay for applies. I've spent many hours ready hundreds of customer reviews on these "Clones". Some Good...Some Bad. I guess it's like everything else, if you happen to get one that came from the factory when the workers were alert and having a good day, then it will probably be a good machine. If not...then who knows??? As I stated before, I still think the best bet is to try and find a quality used machine. They really don't wear out and with patience can be found for reasonable costs. Even if you Pay $600 you can always sell it after you're done using it. and recoup some of your money or maybe even all of it. Might take some time but...I've paid for my machine many times over doing side jobs once I learned how to do some stitchin!!!;) Heck I use an old 1947 Singer 15-91 a lot of the time and it does a great job for most of my upholstery needs. I only need the REX Walking foot on the Big Stuff like Boat Covers and Bimini Tops, and extra large cushions.

wellcraft-classic210

W.O.G> Thanks for the time spent offering your most excellent advice !

I ended up purchasing the rex 607z on Ebay for $350 new.

-- It appears to be very similar to the LS1z older models ( could be identical but not 100% sure yet) and I am using the lsz1 manual as the rex did not include one. It also fit right into my old machines sewing cabinet.

--1st impression is that its "AWSOME" and much faster than what I was using ( all metal non walking foot machine ) -- It does seem to want to run fast so I need to get use to feeding the material at that rate or fine tune my use of the foot pedal by backing off once its rolling ( if that's possible ). The industrial needles larger sizing, walking foot, built in welting foot, and speed are the main features that seem to be making a difference over the singer15 clone I was using. The Zig - Zag feature added $80 to the cost & seem worth wile as it allows for sliding the needle left and right in straight stitch mode which will be great for welting.

Time will tell if this was the right decision but so far its seems very good for the price. I may stil keep an eye open for a used Juki1504 or similar but this should keep me going.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It'll take a bit to get used to the foot controller but once you do, you'll be able to do one stitch at a time!!!!:D The zig-zag comes in handy when patching small holes in covers etc or if you want to put binding on the outer edge of sunbrella type fabric.;) Like I said the "Clones" a ALL copy cats of the LZ-1 and the only differences are the QC of the parts. SailRite did a video on this issue not long ago.

Last edited:

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I just last month purchased a RX607 straight stitch machine on eBay. I decided for boat upholstery I wouldnt require the zig zag but now kinda wish I'd sprung the extra $70 just to have that option in the future if I ever needed it. So far I've been pleased with this machine. I also have the problem with the speed control and have been looking at purchasing the Power Plus Wheel and Posi Pin components from Sailrite. These should easily bolt onto our machines and reduce the speed for more control. It will also increase the penetration power from what I've read. Keep us updated on how you're machine works out for you.

Attachments

• photo225205.jpg
    photo225205.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo225206.jpg
    photo225206.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo225207.jpg
    photo225207.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1

wellcraft-classic210

I have now used the REX 607Z for several projects and wanted to provide a followup

I have found it much faster and a lot more enjoyable than the home machine I was using. No jams, frayed thread, bent needles or struggling.

The industrial needles which are stronger and the walking foot make all the difference for plowing through thick vinyls in multiple layers with ease. The built in combo straight stitch / welting foot reduces setup time. I also stepped up from v69 to v92 thread which is heavier. The zig zag foot feature allows for moving the needle left or right when straight stitching so I am glad to have that feature as well even though I have not found much use for zig-Zag stitches yet.

I did have to tune it -- most were normal setup adjustments except for moving the shuttle closer to the needle to avoid skipped stitches. ( I found the shuttle was not assembled at the factor to the remended specs )

Given the price of $350 this is a great value // It not comparable to a $2000 Juki -- but it is something most non professionals should be quite content with.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Way back when, I bought a used Consew 226R for $300 on ebay. I put in another $100 for a DC motor and some more to get it tuned up. Very good machine that was probably really worth $1000.

I only use V92 thread as well. My next project will be using SolarFix thread which is a teflon thread like Tenara. Pretty expensive though $200/lb.

Have any pictures of your projects?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of all the things I like to do and basically know how to do, I have to admit, upholstery is not one of them. I can struggle doing some things, but really never got into sewing much at all. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to learn either. Bravo to you guys for doing such things. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Glad to hear the REX is working out for you. I have it's Older Big sister, the 11-155r Walking Foot. I too, like the ability to use the V-92 thread, and ability to power thru the multiple layers of vinyl with NO bogging down. I have installed a Home Built Speed Reducer on the machine that I copied from this popular version on Ebay.

s-l500.jpg

Made it from plywood for less than $20 bucks and it works GREAT!!! Made the Pulleys out of Plywood too!!! This video shows how it works...

Don't think it would work on your machine. It's designed to work on the Large Clutch motor machines.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's why I bought a servo motor for my Consew. You can go as slow as you want an no need for reduction pulleys or clutches anymore.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's why I bought a servo motor for my Consew. You can go as slow as you want an no need for reduction pulleys or clutches anymore.
Yeah, but... Servo motors ARE kinda pricey ($100.00)compared to a $20 dollar reducer and I can go 1 stitch at a time now with ease. I've also heard that they can be problematic in that they don't always provide the "Punch Through" power when dialed back to a slow speed. I've never used a Servo Machine so can't speak from experience. I DO like the SailRite servo style machine in that no matter how slow you dial it in, it punches through with the same amount of power. From what I've seen in the videos, I'd say my reducer works pretty well in that I can go as slow as I want and still maintain plenty of PUNCH Power. If I can find a used SailRite 111 with the MC-SCR power system when I retire and I get a steady flow of business then I expect I'll be purchasing one. Until then this thing is working good.;)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Going through 6 layers of sunbrella, binding and webbing? Yeah..I think that's plenty of punch power.

I thought about the reducer. Glad I got the servo motor. You also don't have the motor running constantly and you can go fast if you want to. Makes sewing SO easy!

I sold my old motor/clutch assembly for more than half of what the servo motor ran me.

Also, servo motors are lighter making it way easier to move around the table which I sometimes do since I put it in a truck to take it places occasionally.

This guy does leather with my same machine.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Dang now ya got me wanting to start looking for a better machine ... I'll step up to a w/f at some point before long ... The smaller pully on my old 3115 singer did help slow things down but still can be a pain ... If I keep looking I'll run into a deal eventually ....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You guys have me looking for a machine now

wellcraft-classic210

I appreciate the interesting idea's on the motor -- I am not sure of the proper term but --The motor is a small one located over the table ( like a home machine )

I think the $100 Sailrite power wheel seems to offer a gear reduction that would be an option as the parts are supposed to be the same. Not sure if a server motor is available in that configuration.

I was looking for a good used industrial machine but they appear to be rare here and I gave up when a project came along that could not wait. The rex607 seems good for now but better speed control would be nice for aligning exposed stitching more accurately and touchy areas.

I will try to post some pics soon -- Are links to photobucket the preferred method ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A very good resource for people that might have experience with the Rex machine is in this forum:

http://www.upholster.com/upholstery-forum/

As far as posting pictures, I much prefer using Dropbox than Photobucket and using IMG codes. Even if you use Photbucket, I prefer to use IMG codes.

Basically, put
at the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.