Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sounds fun ! Take a pile of sketches notes and templates scratch yer head a while then turn it into a work of art ! :joyous:

zool

Captain
Yea Sam, I guess this is the fun part!...it does state in the booklet that boat building is a personal preference thing, and the plans should be used as a guide! lol...I already came up with changes, just want to get the hull angles as engineered, the inside and details will be my own :D

zool

Captain
Update:

I did a little rearranging of the shop, to make room for the jig in the center, with the bow towards the door, so I can get the trailer under it after its done. I spread out the plans and got a better look at them, theyre not so bad, and referencing the booklet for sizes works fine. The "full size" templates are 1/2 dimensional, and they are stacked so you cant cut them out and trace, you need to use 2 sheets of carbon paper between the template sheet, and the plywood, and trace it, leaving one imprint on the ply, and another on the back side of the template sheet, then work off a center line. Shouldn't be a problem, cept I don't have big carbon paper lol...but I could make the jig.

This is the template sheet,

This is the plan sheet for the jig/strongback.

and the drafting table I dug out of the barn, just a place to keep the plans clean.

zool

Captain
I scrounged around for 2x lumber, and found enough for the jig.

I scabbed the main rails to 10', but I will replace them with full 2x4x10, nice straight ones.

The transom legs needed a 14 deg cut ( 3 in 12)

The stem and temp frames, need the templates, so that's it for now.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey Zool, Cool project going to have to follow along for this one. Finally some nice days to get some thing done. Can't add any thing to this but I will be here for moral support. Enjoy the day.

zool

Captain
Welcome aboard mr300,

I didn't really get any boat work done this weekend, not only did I have to mow all the lawn, but I had to fix the mower 1st :frusty:

I did manage to pick up a sheet of 3/4 ply for the temp frames and breasthook, and some graphite paper and poster board. I decided to trace the templates to poster board, then cut and lay them out on the ply, so I can rearrange it till it all fits ( the plans say it should only require 1 sheet, but that's gonna be tight and require some pre-thought lol. Also picked up 2 new 2x4x10's for the top braces...

The plans also state I can use exterior ply for the skin, since im glassing it, so I looked thru HD and found some 1/4 bcx sanded pine, for 30 a sheet, as opposed to 50 for the douglass fir. and 75 for the okoume. I still may have to make the long trip for the white oak, but im looking into some cedar plank that lowes has here, but it may need to be scarfed to length if I use it...that will save a lot of time and money if I can use them...

zool

Captain
Update:

I took some time today to work on the stem and breast hook, and try the template to construction method I plan to use. It worked out fairly well with no issues.

For the stem, I just put the graphite paper between the pan and wood, and traced the outline.

I transposed the template to a fir board and cut it out with a jig saw

zool

Captain
After it was cut, it was aligned and the spec height was set. the nose was specked at an an initial 45 deg bevel, which will be faired later.

I then adjusted the height at 5" from t level line.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Where did ya find a piece of carbon paper that large ? All the pieces on your drawing .. Are they all actual size so just trace and cut ?

zool

Captain
I couldn't find large pieces Sam, The local craft place does have rolls, but they were out, these are 18x24, I just lined up multiple pieces. The templates are actual size, just some are 1/2 the beam.

zool

Captain
The breast hook was also just trace and cut

form #3 required me to transpose the 1/2 template to construction paper, set on a level and 90 deg line, trace and then flip the paper to make the full piece.

just have two more temp forms to make, and the transom...

jbcurt00

Staff member
The plywood frames don't remain in the finished boat, or do they?

Looks like a great start of the ladder/strong back.

zool

Captain
The plywood frames don't remain in the finished boat, or do they?

Looks like a great start of the ladder/strong back.

No John, they just hold the longitudinal battens in place til its all secured together and sheathed.....I see some builds cut them down some and use them as braces, Im thinking of boxing in the bench seats, and filling them with floatation foam, also gonna use foam board between the battens, then ply over them for a smooth deck.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is that the widest one ? Looks like it just made it on the sheet of ply...

zool

Captain
Is that the widest one ? Looks like it just made it on the sheet of ply...

That's the narrowest one Sam, just under 4' wide from tip to tip, the other two sit outside the outer rails, so I may have to trace them from the long section of ply.

Same ole crusty cam KFC! :D

zool

Captain
Ok, got form #2 built, did it the same as the other.

Then notched for the battens

2 down, 1 to go ;)

the spacing is somewhere in the manual, I have to look that up before I secure them.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking good Zool! Why look up the spacing in the manual? I think you should just wing it, make it bit more challenging :laugh::eek::faint2:.
This'll be a fun one to follow.

zool

Captain
Update:

Today I decided to work of the skiff, it was raining out this morning and didn't feel like glassing the other project.

I left off needing to finish the final temporary form, and the transom assembly.

I followed the same procedure using the cardboard paper and templates. I taped 2 pieces to the needed size, and traced out the template.

Then cut it out of the ply.

then notched out for the battens and keel

That's all 3 forms done.