Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

zool

Captain
As you can see in my Sig, I have a few boats. I acquired them over the years in various ways, trade, gift, impulse buy, ect. I was using them all here or there, for specific purposes. As it stands now, each one of them has an issue or ten, so I started looking at ways to cull the herd. The 28 SF, as some of you know, is currently under construction, and I will continue to finish that, I have plans for it. The others are up in the air. Honestly, im quite bored with some of them.

The 10' gamefisher I got in a trade for a Jon boat...basically I have it just to throw in from shore, to move docks around, or make repairs...but it barely supports one adult, let alone two..

The Sea Ray, I had some fun on with the admiral for a while, but it has since deteriorated and appears to have the usual issues, transom, and soft deck...I know whats under all that wood, and am not wanting to do the gut and grind thing, on a boat im not all that fond of...Mechanically, its in great shape.

The Century Center Console is a Yamaha built model, not much wood underneath, but it has a soft spot in the deck, and the engine has some carb issues I need to get to. Its rated at 115hp max, but has an 85 on it...and its been a dog lately, im betting the foam is wet.

The boat ive wanted for some time now is a vintage Donzi sweet 16, but they are pricey in most any shape, and the cheaper ones usually need the balsa core removed and replaced, which canbe done, but they are still priced to be not worth the effort.

So lately ive been eying up the Donzi 16 inspired wood boat plans, from Classic Wooden Boat Plans.

I plan to take the drivetrain and anything else I can use from the Sea Ray, including engine, drive, steering, and any other usuable systems.

Given that this would be my 1st scratch build, and im not ready to take that all on right now with the big boat still in progress, Ive decided to make a small wood boat as practice, one that me and the admiral can get on the water easily. It only involves a few sheets of ply, and some standard boat building lumber, but I can cut my teeth on it, and finish it quick. If all goes well, ill start gathering what I need to the donzi.

It looks like ive kinda settled on the Glen-L 13.5 wide body power skiff.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is their a kit for the Donzi 16 or will you be able to get plans somewhere for it?
Beautiful boat.

zool

Captain
Is their a kit for the Donzi 16 or will you be able to get plans somewhere for it?
Beautiful boat.

For a while, there was only an outboard plan available, but they've recently added an I/O plan, designed around the 4.3 Merc/Alpha setup.....ill be using the 3.0/alpha that I have already

I plan to glass encapsulate all the wood, so it will be a cored hull, like the original, but with Okoume ply, not Balsa.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Starting small is a GREAT idea, I LOVE Glen-L boats.

Signing on.

zool

Captain
I think they have great plans too John, this skiff is a Ken Hankinson design, looks relatively easy to build, on temporary frames....its getting used to working off the plans and templates that this test build will be helpful. Like with most plans and manuals, theres always some" reading between the lines" needed lol.

Classic Wood Plans has the replicas, and some real nice ones, that's where I was able to find the donzi.
Length overall11'5"11'5"13'4"13'4"13'4"15'4"15'4"
Bottom length9'8"9'8"11'4"11'4"11'4"13'4"13'4"
Beam overall4'5"4'11"4'7"5'1"5'7"5'1"5'7"
Bottom width (nominal)3'3??3'3??4'3??4'
Hull depth (maximum)2'1"2'1"2'3"2'3"2'3"2'3"2'3"
Hull weight (approx.)140 lbs.150 lbs.165 lbs.175 lbs.185 lbs.200 lbs.220 lbs.
Average passengers1-222-333-445
Horsepower range2-53-83-63-103-154-154-20
(*) NB = Narrow width bottom
SB = Standard width bottom
WB = Wide width bottom

Characteristics
MODEL(*) 11?'-NB 11?'-SB 13?'-NB 13?'-SB 13?'-WB 15?'-SB 15?'-WB

These are the skiff options available, the 13 1/2 WB seems to fit the bill, maybe with a 15hp tiller, with a 9.9 sticker on it for the local lakes :rolleyes: :D

zool

Captain
This is the basic structure of the skiff.

And this is the donzi

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Are you planning to start it right away, or are you going to complete the 28 first? I'll definitely follow along and watch this build, sounds like a fun project!

zool

Captain
Are you planning to start it right away, or are you going to complete the 28 first? I'll definitely follow along and watch this build, sounds like a fun project!

Im gonna work on the skiff and the 28 at the same time, plan on starting the skiff this month. I have about a month left on the house project, then I have a lot more free time...at least til I break ground on the next build, which wont be til late fall or winter.

Im ordering the skiff plans this week.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ahhhh WOW! Both boats are so nice. Looks like you have your work cut out for you with all of your projects going on.

zool

Captain
Yea Sam, I think it will be, welcome aboard.

So after tossing around options for a bit, the plans are on the way, should be here any day now. I ended up ordering the 15.4 wide body instead of the 13...the few extra feet wont break the bank in wood, but will come in handy for storage areas, and when the bay kicks up.

Sourcing the white oak in the sizes I need was a little tricky, but I found a few places, none are close so im looking at a few hr drive to either. Im gonna use white oak for the lumber, just marine ab fir for the ply..since im encapsulating it all in glass. The materials list calls for lumber from 1 1/2 to 9" wide, so im just gonna get 10" wide planks, and rip what I need, to simplify the wood list

As soon as the templates get here, im gonna build the strongback and temporary frames....hopefully by next weekend ill get this thread rolling ;)

Jeep Man

Commander
I can't seem to manage one at a time, and your doing two. Now your just showing off. Good luck! I think I'll keep an eye on you.

zool

Captain
Thanks for stopping by KFC, Willy, and Ray, Im the quintessential multi-tasker, but im still spread thin with non boat projects right now, but that's changing real soon ;) The 28 is a big and costly project, so it will take a lot longer than planned, This little skiff is the path of least resistance to get on the water for now...just hoping for some back bay crabbing and weakfishing...with the shallow draft of this rig, I can run in a foot of water, which is all there is in most of the back bays here.

Actually, im kinda stoked to get started! ;)

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Zool,
Just signed up. I am awash in projects and recently retired but waiting for that first FERS check from Uncle Sam. Also have to sell the TN house and have two other restore jobs to do, 1986 Islander and mostly life extension repairs on a 1988 Trophy CC. As soon ans the house sells I get to build the boat barn and start on my bay boat, a Spira Galveston. I look forward to following your build.
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

zool

Captain
Im in if you'll have me looks fun!!!

Glad to have you on board minch...but I cant be held responsible if you find yourself driving by boat lumber suppliers........that aren't on the way home ;)

zool

Captain
Zool,
Just signed up. I am awash in projects and recently retired but waiting for that first FERS check from Uncle Sam. Also have to sell the TN house and have two other restore jobs to do, 1986 Islander and mostly life extension repairs on a 1988 Trophy CC. As soon ans the house sells I get to build the boat barn and start on my bay boat, a Spira Galveston. I look forward to following your build.
Cheers!

fisher,

That's a stout looking garvey or dory, and should make a great bay boat....start a thread here when you get to it..looks like an interesting build.

Welcome aboard ;)

zool

Captain
So I got the plans yesterday, and spent some time studying them. As I suspected, they leave a little to be desired, mostly a few sheets of random sketches and notes, but lacking a legend sidebar..instead, they gave a work booklet, so you have to located the wood member on the sketch, find the notes labeling it somewhere on the sheet, then look up the dimensions in the booklet, fun stuff! lol....no lofting notes either, but overall, they appear workable. The templates are just as confusing. I have an old drafting table in the back of one of the barns, that im gonna dig out today to set the plans on, and begin to build the strongback today, along with some tasks on the 28, and of course the grass ...

Ill update the thread later on, after I see what progress can be made.