Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

zool

Captain
Good to have you aboard TDF, and yeah Arch, im a glutton for punishment I guess, but at least theres no poly to grind :)

I have an early 80's 7.5 hp tiller I was using on the 10' alum boat. I started it up yesterday and it ran for a bit but sputtered. Im hoping to sea trial with that, then look for a 20 or 25 hp..if I can find a deal...I don't think the 7.5 seahorse will plane it...but we will see,

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just found this little project the other day, I'll follow along if you don't mind. Looks like a cool build.

zool

Captain
Glad to have you NM, remember to bring your clamps ..or ill have to hit up HF for a bunch of cheap ones :D

I got the rest of the battens on, just have to tie in a few to the stem.....will post some pics when I feel like fighting with photobucket

Last edited:

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm really looking forward to when you do the Donzi, but this one is neat too. I've been following a guy building a huge 50' Carolina for a year, but he doesn't post enough up close and in-progress shots. We can almost reach out and touch yours.

zool

Captain
I'm really looking forward to when you do the Donzi, but this one is neat too. I've been following a guy building a huge 50' Carolina for a year, but he doesn't post enough up close and in-progress shots. We can almost reach out and touch yours.

Im looking forward to the that too, even more so as I progress thru this......but its a learning curve GW

So I glued and screwed the lower battens at the stem......and readied the mid and upper battens, leaving the stem connections to last.

I used Gorilla Glue for these connections due to ease of use...

Last edited:

zool

Captain
I got the plywood all set to cut...cant wait to set a string of blue claw pods.....this will be a perfect retrieval rig,,,,,cept I need glass and paint lol ;)

I have a batch of ppg dplf50 that's getting old I may use as a sealer then I think ill try rustos topside on this,,,i hear good things from this inexpensive option....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So everything thus far has been SYP correct ? What plywood did you end up with ?
Looks great zool !

GWPSR

I might have missed it, but are the templates sacrificial? You're going to have to cut them up to remove them I'm guessing.

zool

Captain
Thanks Arch and KC, its starting to take shape now ;)

Sam, so far its all inexpensive lumber...the battens are pine, the stem is douglas fir, the ply for the transom 3/4 and bottom is 3/8 bcx - the b side gets glassed the c side faces the foam core...the sides will be skinned with 1/4 underlayment which supposedly has water resistant glue...ill coat all the wood with epoxy before I cover with skin.

GW, the plans say u can leave them in or remove them, im removing them so I can lay out the interior as I need....they are just screwed in to help them conform to the shape, ill remove the screws right before I lay he ply.

Last edited:

Mikeopsycho

She's looking very boatish now! Great info and pics in your posts, a very enjoyable thread, and a cool zool project!

zool

Captain
She's looking very boatish now! Great info and pics in your posts, a very enjoyable thread, and a cool zool project!

Thanks Mike, I try to make u guys feel the pain lol...

Anyways, I got some more done....

I tied in the rest of the battens to the stem......by far the most difficult to get the compound miter needed,

the rail tied into the breast hook subfloor for our purposes.

then I did the other side..

I saturated any void and gaps with thickened epoxy afterwards.....

another angle

zool

Captain
I mixed up some epoxy with west 403 to make a strong glue....catsup consistency......and backed out the screws in the transom/batten connections, and at the breast hook.

I then laid out the ply and just traced it to shape. The 4' sheet just made the width,,

Then I just had to temporarily screw the ply in place, mark it with the pencil, flip it, cut it with a jig saw, and fit it back in place...

zool

Captain
I put some screws in that piece, .then traced out the front piece, and did the same..

I removed both pieces, mixed up some epoxy with west 403 as glue..

After it was all glued and screwed, I used a belt sander to flush the plywood edge that stood proud being at 90 degrees. I formed the whole outer edge of the hull..

Last edited:

zool

Captain
I want to add some teeth to the hull, so it don't fishtail around....the plans show this option, which seems simple but effective...

I put what was left in the pail in the seams....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow...You are sure enough in your comfort ZONE with this project. Looks great...as usual, even the pics are clear. :D