Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

zool

Captain
I made the template for the transom, traced and cut it out of 3/4 ply. The plans called for 1x3 framing around the perimeter, notched for the battens, then a motor board in the center, and a cross brace if motorized....so I decided to just double up the transom and avoid all that fuss, and gain some strength.

I notched only the inner ply, to accept the battens.

I plan to glue and screw it together and still have to add a 14 deg bevel on the bottom for contour. It will all be glass encapsulated like any other build...

Still trying to source out local wood for the keep and battens, considering cedar if I have to.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good call on the transom, simplify things and add strength. That's a whole lotta notches there! What would be the optimum wood for the battens and the keep (whatever that is), or does it really matter what wood is used? Just curious. Nice to see you back at this build, it's a cool project.

zool

Captain
Yea guys, I can get syp in 3/4 or red cedar in 3/4....but neither at 16'...so ill have to scarf either one..

White oak is whats called for, but I have to travel too far for it. It probably wont really matter because im gonna sandwich 3/4 foam boards between the battens under deck and sides. The bottom will be 3/8 ply on the outside and 1/2 decking, the sides get 1/4 ply on both the inside and out. Then its all glass wrapped inside and out.

So I suppose I don't need the strength of the oak.

The cedar is about the same price as the pine, but has better rot resistance.

The "keep" is just my bad typing, was supposed to be "keel" ;)

I also have to figure out the motor cutout, weighing the price options between long and short shaft tiller ob's.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Oh "keel", haha, why didn't you say so? :lol: (I shoulda been able to figure that out :embarassed:) Keel up the good work. :)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Zool, great build!!! Building a gentleman racer is on my bucket list!!!! Subscribed if you dont mind...

zool

Captain
Welcome aboard Cor...if this test run goes well, ill absolutely try the real boat .....maybe the same time as yours ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I got so much stuff on my bucket list I would never find the bottom ...But restoring a wood boat is definataly on the list ...
Might be easier to build one from scratch like your doing though ...
Cool stuff !

zool

Captain
Update:

I decided to go with a short shaft tiller, so I cut out the transom top on the inner piece, then traced it to the other and set it to the required height on the strong back.

Since im gonna skin the inner sides, I recut the side batten notches flush, it was angled per the plans to support seat shelves if left as is on the inside.

I decided to go with the yellow pine for the battens, since I was able to source it in 16' lengths, so no need to scarf them...I ripped the keel board and mitered it to the transom angle, and temporarily screwed it in place...

oh and no worries Sam, just upgrade to a "barrel" list like I did long ago ;)

Last edited:

zool

Captain
I left the notches unglued for now, till I get the angle set for the stem attachment...

Then I ripped and set the outer battens from aft to front, still leaving them a little long at the stem to attach after the wood accepts the bends...

I ripped them again at 29 degrees to keep the bottom flat.

I did the same to the other side.

zool

Captain
I got a few more done today.

That was it today.....I need to pick up a few more boards and the plywood to finish the shell...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice looking boat there! She has your name all over it. A builders, designer, carpenters delight compared some of the drudge associated with a rehab.
You go!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So once you get everything bent around into shape you go back and disassemble then reassemble glued and screwed .. Really taking shape now !

zool

Captain
KC- The plans do leave a lot of room for "creativity"....in fact, they just leave out whole procedures..so without a wood boat building general guide....you get the engineering, some measurements, and the templates....the rest is on the builder :rolleyes:

Yep sam, that's the plan..shouldn't be too hard to back out the screws and fill the void with epoxy, then rescrew.

Thanks Ned, since its a trial run, its a good way to get my feet wet....and it is fun so far ;)

zool

Captain
If you need to do any steam bending you GOTTA see this...

Thanks for the vid Mike, the pine I used bended well enough that it didn't need steam. I plan to do the spaced inner rails similar to the skiff in the video, but out of oak.....Im sure they will be stiffer and may need steam. The outer rub rail will be grooved oak with a rope insert too.

Not sure where to score the metal gas can tho lol :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Craigslist...Where Else!!!:D:lol: But seriously a regular ole' Steam Kettle/Tea Pot will do the trick just as good!!!

Last edited: