Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

zool

Captain
I got a little more progress done today, I had to do a Buick Enclave trans today, so after the surgery, I let my helper close it up, and stole some boat time...

I started fitting the foam for the sides...the center pieces were a pain to keep tight because the hull has a flare around mid ship...

y4mrxl8Gg-Xje2RyUkfCXYtsOOhstXIkE7QY3M6GMOUpGrYqrZ0T5H9v1OvCNpCgbgrWXW0X7CZ-CysTTs7SxNCnNpQTgPxIYO_V81SeDKe-cBFNluIEImogxuOVrr_0TVUvtdN1BYytVMe_wtUn3YrNh4mCayCY2_E2esn33Qo9vwfPFLOogmvySD06Vc8VKdpaV8S8s-6SK3_zBbI6WrTBQ

The deck is still not secured down, I have to take it up, mark the stringers for the screws, and add some glue.

y4mQkgxHlPxdbEXf33j2BMGQwFIAQ8y9kGqEYja-Q6LUihV20uXDw_GAbgywN_GunmCk_DP2TxUg1wlUZCxnLi0bsc4YuD-n5yJ5Tft6cq3hzaND7mjo0JDgdC9ucmtOLAO7bfsLJqTMvOCAGHi6lqp-CDUmDMYZKdUgEpERemA1XY3umft8U3i4c2jjDJ01Hh0TEOZNtsSkMuctA8CLdu1pg

y4mn-yWP4MbS3SuQv1844oZjaUy-6yYQJa4j4Op_sza8X2t3bsXUXP4z-IeJS12aHrK536X8zbno9rR8F112uWjXn9yO_CpFWeTh7ePaD_3BjxQMq5TIBIXOAJliz6uiAsIGz9-A7-M9omcQBdzXAGul5qq8aOegU00jJrsjlf-VFzBi-JTgVymnm-iVNm7J6sqzESoIhO8OSanKhQ6CvHo9Q

Thats one side almost done.....I stopped there and went over to visit the Checkmate and get a few things done there too.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good Zool. Are you coating both faces of the deck plywood with epoxy?
Cheers

zool

Captain
None of the wood inside the sandwiched hull is being coated with anything..its being left in its natural state..The bottom exterior was skimmed with thickened epoxy for some abrasion resistance, the inside deck top will be coated with resin, all the corners and seams will be coved with PB, taped with 6oz cloth and faired smooth for paint...the deck will be coated with cloth for abrasion resistance. The goal is to keep the inside waterproof, like a bathtub, with a drain in the transom, and a pump. I want the wood to expand and contract as it needs to....

After the boat is faired, the whole thing will be sprayed with PPG dplf epoxy primer, used as a sealer, then PPG k36 build primer for a final fairing, then the rusto paint and hardener. Ill add a non skid grit on the foot traffic areas.

If the core gets compromised, no amount of epoxy under the deck will help, the water will stay in there and soak the foam. The boat will be kept indoors most of the time, and in the end, its just a utility skiff and aside from some of the sheet goods, its made from alot of scap/leftover soft wood products, designed to last 10 yrs at best.

If I decide to build a real wood boat, it will be with the proper wood products and built with much more care than this one :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
zool... Watch out for Carpenter bee's , they ruined my bowrider to cuddy conversion in less then 6 months!

zool

Captain
zool... Watch out for Carpenter bee's , they ruined my bowrider to cuddy conversion in less then 6 months!

Ive read about your carpenter bee issue Micky, they look like small bumbles right?...I have mostly hornets and wasps, I just Napalm any nest I see...Kinda like the Crypts and the Bloods...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Ive read about your carpenter bee issue Micky, they look like small bumbles right?...I have mostly hornets and wasps, I just Napalm any nest I see...Kinda like the Crypts and the Bloods...

Yes! i mean i would have never believed it but when i removed all wood and replaced the cap , i brought it home and the bees went nuts looking for the old wooden parts, i don't know where they all came from but friends keep tennis rackets around lol. i have started dealing with them again on brand new fence , they even attacked my gantry's i had erected i just tossed them and will rebuild new ones because i didn't want to trust them for replacing cap on hull.
My favorite boats will always be wood , however i know i will not own one again in Florida..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Dang Micky ! Now I have to run out back and inspect the Wagemaker for bees .. Just for ease of mind ... :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
They used to bore into the leantoo on my old barn. They would holes about 3/8" to 1/2" and made there nest up in my rafters. I used to shoot carburetor cleaner up in the holes, which you would think would kill them....but they would fall out, stagger around on the ground for a moment and fly off! I got to where I would just step on them when they fell out. They are a real PITA. The wasp and hornet sprayer wouldn't even touch them. The leantoo on the back of the hangar is framed out of treated lumber so I no longer have that issue.

zool

Captain
Yikes, well that settles it then, if I run into them, ill just do what i do with other pests and hazardous waste, take the hive, cross the river and drop it off on Kcassells property :laugh:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yikes, well that settles it then, if I run into them, ill just do what i do with other pests and hazardous waste, take the hive, cross the river and drop it off on Kcassells property :laugh:

Man you had me rollin on the floor. You are such an ole' Coot!
Still lol chump!.................................
If there's a way to 1 up me you seem to always get the best of me!

Hope all are beeing happy for the 4th

doin-it-wrong.jpg

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mickey, we used to have a bad problem with them in Tennessee before we moved to Pensacola, but have had no issue with them. My daughter who lives about 15 miles east of us on the bay has to keep a trap out for them. It’s pretty effective. There was a powder we could spray into their holes in TN that was pretty effective in killing them.
Happy 4th!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I have tried borax wd40, elecro clean, bleach, flame thrower,"that ended poorly but no bees" carb cleaner, purple power, my carpenter bees glowed florescent from striping paint a few days but they scoff at me and look for the next chemical high i can give them .... tried those traps but they liked my pressure treated 4x4 better since the pressure treating doesn't go to heart they just hold their breath and dig through outer layer till they hit paydirt, only thing i felt good to hear is they don't care for hardwoods so maybe the wage maker will be safe:)

zool

Captain
Not intending to hijack the thread, but FiPro is supposed to kill them.

No hijack worries Pcola, all topics are welcome here between progress....

We got the outboard running, but it stalls at idle. may have to rebuild the carb with new jets, but at least its running above idle speed.

I also dug out a 20+ year old Minn Kota trolling motor I had in the barn....havnt put power to it yet, but ill try to fix it if need be.....

zool

Captain
I did some research on titling and registering a home made boat in Jersey...it appears I have to show pictures and original receipts for all item purchased....basically thats just a few sheets of ply and whatever hardware I buy..

It also indicates I have to take the boat to the State Police-Marine Division, and have it inspected, get some docs from them, and bring back to DMV.....That sound like a pain but whatever...