Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Zool great work on your build from scratch! I was really wondering about your choice of 1/4” ply for the deck until I saw how you fit the foam. I’m impressed with your creativity to get the floatation while also minimizing weight! It’s unbelievable how much we can learn from the skilled folks on here like you, Arch and Wood, among others!
Cheers and thanks!

zool

Captain
I'm no Mech-a-Nec soooo, have fun with the motor. Your skill set will have it running like a top in not time.

Ha Mike, Im cursed when it come to carbs.....I may have my helper pull it and clean it...hes got a knack for these kind of things....

Im doubtful the 7.5 will plane this rig, I think i'd have a better shot with a 9.9 but its what I have right now......I know a 25-35 will get her going nice in the bay, just need to find a cheap one :D

zool

Captain
Zool great work on your build from scratch! I was really wondering about your choice of 1/4” ply for the deck until I saw how you fit the foam. I’m impressed with your creativity to get the floatation while also minimizing weight! It’s unbelievable how much we can learn from the skilled folks on here like you, Arch and Wood, among others!
Cheers and thanks!

Thanks Pcola...I figure that wood floats, the foam floats so between the two, it may stay up even if its swamped....hope I dont have to find out tho :eek:

The same foam is going on the sides too, and the center bench seat will be foam filled.

zool

Captain
I got more done today, ill update my progress later on, gonna head back out there for a while tho, since the Admiral is at a Yankee game tonight with her friends....gonna take advantage of this free time...so its a beer and boat night for me :)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I will drink a beer or three for you! You know, just to help you along.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually I’m having a bourbon and branch water after final mixing up the Old Timers Formula for waterproofing my jonboat transom. Looking forward to seeing your latest progress. Caught some red snapper with my grandson this weekend, maybe fish tomorrow for dinner if the rain will hold off.
Cheers!

zool

Captain
Mmmmm Bourbon...nah, i better not lol, and thanks for the help Nurseman, I knew I could count on you!

Ok, what I did was glue cleats over the exterior ply seams, and added more in the back so i could stagger the seams for the inner ply panels.

y4m-YNXgjWiBLAAr8rpDF1DBPgQ6CqFjDidpS3aeGujzn0_-V6nt8nN6nkBsNvnPWXBFq8R1ooRTFNvvdYeMkZc4tb_MD-IrhPTSuuKaD2BOdtFyscgOdkhc_A9vVv8sI8pd7E49qrPtPdYYfYEFBrqHKuwMGC0sMJAnPI7uO0UkCFc5_Ek1omfnc7UNawsnd3cX-3rWtchk5_52JSxFYnJxg

Then I cut the large deck piece and dry fitted it for now. I ended striking a line along the center keel board and measuring out every 6 inches, then I struck a center line on the ply board, and transferred the measurements...tedious but effective.

y4mrGvO6TMmC1n-Ha1d7LgbB9fGPSUeAiorF0BSccuwbEZ6bw_hhcvTUZbpIz-xeT3G5ug9sdyGk3gl2pfn-B-D5D_905kRkx-DQooRTbbaEbiRsTsIVLp5DZYDJCvD3HhAJLd04TXPtJQp6bjQfqOat1aJLRkqNTVsf7vJZ_6UQRi0utAnG_lF1znj3UR_MOkj0xNEUVEU1Dzh_IWbf8MxIg

zool

Captain
Then I finished up the other pieces, so the deck is all cut and placed.

y4m1J6srKi26Z0b12DGEOoQeJM1Pv4mxm608f9MisXXiqj5JvZphZzkoe1x2-hyngpl_D_6SxX4LBCMZxWAVJaAraaEhe2RQNeJkm_UGVN01JAmJ2SbiANXQlCV9OFmfQYDwXK2C6QdymApBasyU3Mn5pLzVF3aGmbUs7B1DWVmnY7P_7Ahc0qdYF6FPkHpLEkoEGgqNh_kXQBJiKdfH3hrYg

y4mtFbgZvafqzskTpW0FTob7OjWDMevBAyZjrTHoVd1HUtmAErMtAkor1vqH2YTCSyfrQ_OgOkpsFzpe4DIls4N7JeVWG86lHNNu0Z45PNsSLjzWM6x_KqMp7IgvU7_CQemB3-ylOV-k36p5LLPrj7PsG6egrQMyRX7fpWyT8vZM_BOZskV6eEsC0wfuzBgX7pu5zR0P6ZRYw7aGFqZQPecYw

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really great job of fitting the deck. All the more impressive that it was done in a brew and boat session!
Cheers

zool

Captain
Then I made a 6 wire harness and snaked it behind the lower front cleat and through the front bulkhead. I have to pick up some harness clips to hang it up and out of the way of the foam board.

y4mf5JEovnOdHzTjxYslY98D2J43qRnwaVIFHNvDTwOBGG_kks9J81rFF7vdL_F5zif0A6Ri6x9Vm0PpsCpaVq6ZHGlAZQPYMztbmRdr9LxNhN1DamPo89iosEqGP6UlGyLvdzzmCPAJWB5DkP3plKfozRXNcmK4geq76QHgUgN73bqMS283zVNQlx6Flut03lVySQh2FBrZSTnJSyEI3nCvw

y4m2r2QkChMNgmRZDDepFZNznxVIPbmNTjC3wsVAzjzBooPUGwSbu79oCMRE3ypCoF0dhERi_PNGfYvBK4fjSb0LzTfO48icKu9KxxixS1E5FF1JxGaQhfBTEvDLgTWSJrpgKciESzd3BTPfBLtkBEQ4u3UNhKYCAXuZXYaus8yic1lOh7K3RMaWlNBE5y2x3U2GymGc2uaVK-qQOyM1aS1fw

y4miJmGJm3LTQCERQ2ce4BP-SlM5tnFYwPwMweSjpC7hDTRV77EG_alpb1LCgEM5zW6fKj_LYKeLb9MWwIfur7vCKuindkdOQbVES7yMx94EELJUo_prZvaqRvcmdsv_2ipO-KPTK8nEdrilVOQ1jMKOiPMGaCEsm1d_hzX3WH5e2Z1PTAzKywpUTXu_OREnFwJFB3nFMu8PVm6-dlsPQRaWQ

So I ran 3 sets of 14g wire, one set will go from a switch on the port rear seat for front nav lights, one set for a power bus under the bow for whatever, and one set for future use from a rear switch...

zool

Captain
Really great job of fitting the deck. All the more impressive that it was done in a brew and boat session!
Cheers

Thanks Pcola, With the heat, humidity, and skeeters today, the brew went down like water! Its good to be back in the AC...

zool

Captain
Everything is looking great Zool !

Thanks Sam, I havnt checked yet to see if you started on the woody project yet...Its hard to catch up on all the threads when im gone for a while...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seems like all I get to do is start projects !:lol:
Been to busy at work to do any boat work lately . Any spare time has been working on the yard and my driveway the last couple weeks .. Picked up a new to me tractor . That made the yard work much easier . Been wanting one for a while ..

zool

Captain
Seems like all I get to do is start projects !:lol:
Been to busy at work to do any boat work lately . Any spare time has been working on the yard and my driveway the last couple weeks .. Picked up a new to me tractor . That made the yard work much easier . Been wanting one for a while ..

A tractor is the way to go for sure, I just keep rigging mine for the past 10 years....its turning into a frankenstein but it keeps goin!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work Zool! I laid out Miss Morgans deck the same way, works great. Why is it my wiring harness seems a lot more complicated than yours lol!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The Zool-Meister is making some good progress!!! I'm looking forward to Splash Day!!!

zool

Captain
Nice work Zool! I laid out Miss Morgans deck the same way, works great. Why is it my wiring harness seems a lot more complicated than yours lol!

Thx arch, I started out with just 2 wires, but that was way too simple lol...plus I would probably regret not putting extra in, I know a phone charging port up front for the Admiral would become a must...and maybe a floor light...the extra switch wires will be necessary if I add a horn.