Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Glad your back at this one too zool ! So after the fairing are going to cover the hull with cloth /epoxy ?
I'm debating on doing that to the bottom of the Wagemaker ...

zool

Captain
Sam, Ive been back and forth on that over and over.after reading many wood boat building forums.....and just like here, a portion of the ppl say yes, another portion say no, and they usually progress into arguments over the benefits, drawbacks, fights over whether CPES is a magical mystery elixir, or a medicine show scam..lol

I have noticed a trend with some of the professional builders towards not using glass or even resin to coat the wood for various reasons.

So i decided to just use the DPLF epoxy primer as a sealer after skim coating the bottom with the fairing mix to fill in some grain irregularites. Then building it up with the K36, then block sanding it straight again, then just 2-3 coats of the rusto with magic hardener i picked up, and call it a day.

Basically, the boat will be used a few times a year to set and retrieve the floating docks and guidlines at the lake, the flat bottom and wide beam will be much more stable for standing and leaning than the 10' tinner i use now, then stored in the barn.

I am planning on filleting and tabbing inside the hull at the edges and corners, and the main structural rails, then finishing the inside with some nice wood, maybe mahogany, cedar, or even teak so it looks good just sitting in the corner all year ;)

In the end, the need to get this bottom finished, flipped and out of here to make room for the checkmate was the deciding factor...

zool

Captain
I dont have much time today to do any boat work, but i grabbed an hour or so to skim a portion of the bottom, maybe i can get back out there later tonight to skim some more.

1st I ran the orbital and 100 grit over the whole hull again to clean up some droppings i had during the last session, nd flatten some runs and draped on the verticle sides from the wet mix. Once the 410 is mixed in and cured, it sands real easy.

View attachment y4m8S_96b6a4w5ywq6G5jlm2JSTf-fg1UC_7oNkZUvJxvrybsMBjMEP1h0U-lkD9dlqcrmvz3ReeY9Z9atQGHa2DviTp3RuHj19y

I dug out the widest squeegee I had....wider is better for less work later. I mixed up a somewhat drier mix of resin and 410 and started at the seam and worked it towards the nose. The trick is to keep dragging it forward as it starts to dry, then stopping before you get too many pinholes as it dries. Most of what goes on here is just for initial leveling and sealing an is essentially sacrificial.

View attachment y4mgIiYeRQuLYcwCtezsIxq-F9j4BFrbEDLp5HdwN2_J-7UJ3bbm_DmBJqj95S8Xs09qkPbvQ3_Yn4KlAPQvTmHHsqfWAZ8-BMTU

Long even strokes in one direction will fill it all in, while dragging the most from the high seam spot, to about a foot away creating a slight valley between the seam and the open field in the bow.

View attachment y4mrCmKGWdqOBW9ej_yN6wceTowTPIWgAD5i-C1FAOzjRbzX1zX9RdPbqO22LuYnskvP3sqO4cMPImt89njOMRyYlp1u6nrAlhlR

The seam will be ultimately bridges across after the front cures and new mix is dragged from the bow to stern, one side of the keel, then the other in 2 sessions.

View attachment y4mFARp4Jp96PyZYwCKz8DXrJ7m9YPCuxCjzv3kTFn0dn2yEhvMBoHqNtcX70E1MEbvqFzLr3arizdr0JGCUUsgF70ItcGt-7SrU

Just letting it cure for a while.

zool

Captain

zool

Captain
Gotta order some fairing filler from USC for under darker colors for the sides, the 410 is fine on the bottom and under white, but the green can heat up in the sun and expand the burst the bubbles in the microlight. Still deciding on a white or green bottom.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not filleting this weekend we got an arctic blast coming. My friend wanted me to meet him on LBI and go for a boat ride:eek:. I told him the high was going to be in the 30s He if funny.

Looks like a boat, nice work. I am envious of your wood working skills, I was barely able to make the seat base and frame for my Sea Ray and thankfully it is all covered by vinyl. LOL

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Gotta order some fairing filler from USC for under darker colors for the sides, the 410 is fine on the bottom and under white, but the green can heat up in the sun and expand the burst the bubbles in the microlight. Still deciding on a white or green bottom.

So are you referring to this product:
A.SM Fairing Compound USC
Blend of multiple fillers that when mixed with epoxy resins are ideal for multipurpose fairing, filling and sanding. Good for fine and large surface filling that needs a easy sanding, creamy putty.
(Color: Light Red/White)

B. Will this burst like you mentioned? USC

3M Glass Bubbles
These hollow glass microspheres can be added to any epoxy and polyester resin. These bubbles will make a lightweight, easy sanding putty for minor surface filling of cracks, holes, etc. (Color: White)

C. Like B; USC
Phenolic Microballoons
(BJO-0930)
These red/purple color phenolic spheres when mixed with epoxy resins will create a low density paste compound which will sand easily and improve strength/flexibility of the cured resin. Better for large gap filling.

Thanks, don't want to have to do it again ya know.

zool

Captain
Not filleting this weekend we got an arctic blast coming. My friend wanted me to meet him on LBI and go for a boat ride:eek:. I told him the high was going to be in the 30s He if funny.

Looks like a boat, nice work. I am envious of your wood working skills, I was barely able to make the seat base and frame for my Sea Ray and thankfully it is all covered by vinyl. LOL

Going for a boat ride in November usually means helping bring it to the ramp to haul out for the season :)..I always ended up doin that alone while a friend would wait at the ramp in a warm truck!

zool

Captain
So are you referring to this product:
A.SM Fairing Compound USC
Blend of multiple fillers that when mixed with epoxy resins are ideal for multipurpose fairing, filling and sanding. Good for fine and large surface filling that needs a easy sanding, creamy putty.
(Color: Light Red/White)

B. Will this burst like you mentioned? USC

3M Glass Bubbles
These hollow glass microspheres can be added to any epoxy and polyester resin. These bubbles will make a lightweight, easy sanding putty for minor surface filling of cracks, holes, etc. (Color: White)

C. Like B; USC
Phenolic Microballoons
(BJO-0930)
These red/purple color phenolic spheres when mixed with epoxy resins will create a low density paste compound which will sand easily and improve strength/flexibility of the cured resin. Better for large gap filling.

Thanks, don't want to have to do it again ya know.

The SM compound is what Im using under the green, but on yours it wont matter if your not painting your boat a dark color like red, blue, black, green, ect.....even light colors are fine under the low density mixes. The problems mostly happen on top decks in dark colors with constant heavy sunlight causing alot of heat buildup.

3m Bubbles is similar to West 407 and I believe the its a little dense than 410., microbaloons are more dense and will be fine under color.

The lower the density, the easier to sand and mix.....to prevent dripping and running on verticle surfaces, you add a little cabosil to the fairing compound to dense it up a bit and add some strength.

zool

Captain
*Yawn* I guess its warm outside now :)

I spose its time to get back to some boat work.....I did get some stuff done on the CM, ill update that when I get a chance, But I have an itch to get this one in the water soon...

Ive been busy with car work for a while so I think its time to turn the tide..

Hope all is well with everyone, havnt been logged on lately, but ill catch up.!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Glen-L has lots of neat designs. I am pondering their Party Boat as my next project. But for now I'm enjoying my little PM38, although that's not a Glen-L design. I'm looking forward to see the progress on your skiff. Looks like you are doing a great job on her!

zool

Captain
Thanks Arch, Kev, Pek...good to be back ;)....

Been catching up on the threads i follow....didnt realize how far behind I was!....

Fuggly is looking awsome Arch!, and Peks PM38 came out great!

And kevin, your build is an inspiration to me...it inspires me to NEVER retore a W/A LOL...way too much glassin!

I only have 18 more cars to work on out back, then I can get serious here again :eek:

zool

Captain
Thanks Mikey, Good to see ur doin well......The Flamingo looks great, especially with u and the grandkids aboard :)