"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok , I needed a fishing boat for our area salt marshes and creeks so i picked this beauty up for 30 bucks .. :facepalm:
It's got a clear title so I guess that's worth the 30 bucks ..So that gives me the old classic MFG , the really cool Borum Bobcat , and now a nice stable tri-hull fishing boat .. I,m sure I'll need plenty of help and idea's to bring this one back from the brink of extinction ..
Here is an introduction video ... I really should hire an actor I,m not the most well spoken guy ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQX7prGIf9c&feature=youtube_gdata
Oh ,and I have already given her a name ...." Prop Scar " :joyous:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Well,.............At least the demo work has been done,...

I see lots of grinding in your future,...........

How big of a motor is it rated for? And what are your plans for a motor??

I see an opportunity for a big tiller and a wide open fishing platform!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A couple of layers of 1708 on those gunnels will stiffen it right up! Gonna be fun to start with a clean canvas and really make it what you want! Count me in for this one as well!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Teamster, not sure what it's actually rated for but I have a 50hp Evinrude that will probably go on there if I don't run into something else along the way .. Idk about the tiller idea. but it would sure open up a nice platform ..
Nm , welcome aboard again ! Yep also gunna add some wood support along the inside of the top edge of the gunwales . That should help stiffen things up also ..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
What year model is it?

From just the few seconds I watched of the vid, it looks very "floppy". I suggest looking for a pic online of one that is stock and study the structural aspects like raised decks and storage built against the sidewalls, those thin gunwales are not the stuff open-deck boats are made of.

Should be a nice boat when you get it done.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I see a nice fishing boat coming out of this one. It is very close to my tri-hull Tom Boy boat in its design. I have the same flimsy sides but I have plans to solve that problem. I am building rod boxes on both sides, similar to Pro Bass Panfish Special boat designs. That will fix her up very nicely. I am going the stick steering route as well so I can fish and move from one seat in the front... I will be joining in with your latest project if that is okay... My biggest problem is, I have a "can do" attitude and always have had that mindset all my life. I can see nice boats in most every old dilapidate boat I come across. I don't make the connection with work effort and material cost determine my ambitions and that IS a curse... But I love rebuilding most anything back to better then new... Your latest project looks great to me as to what it can become!

zool

Captain
Hey Sam, don't u rest? :D

looks like Manatee used a front platform, and side gutter system to stiffen the hull, this is an older 15.

maybe u could work something similar back in yours....make a great crabbing rig

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Swamp rocket, 50hp!
Should make for a nice beat'r-up fishing rig. You know, one of those functional work boats. "She aint pretty but she sure catches fish.

The 1st boat I had when I 1st joined the group was similar in design and shape and was going to use it the same way as a knock-about fishing boat until I came across the 14' Lund. Would have cost more to repair that one than it did to buy the Lund.

Anyways, that boat had sides that were very thin and flexible also so what was done by the manufacturer was as you said in the video was to build boxes down each side, glassed in, which they then filled with flotation foam. You could easily do the same thing. As I recall they had only used 1/4" ply to build those structures so it didn't add a lot of weight but did add a lot of strength.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
I heart!! The Larivee had the back corner boxes and the gutter system. You'll figure it out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Kc. Thanks !
Jig , it's a 1975 15'-6" ... Glad ya asked because I did not remember and I forgot where I stashed the title .. Found it ...
gm, Welcome aboard ! The rod locker idea sounds like a good plan ...Maybe combine that with a gutter .. Hmmm ....
Zool , I do catch a nap every now and then .. :D I really like the way that one is set up .. I have the drain holes on each side in the back so I bet it was set up identical ...Heck that ones got a 90 hp on there ...
Bonz_d , yep the fish don,t care what the boat looks like ! She'll get a paint job and all but i.m not gunna fret when I run up on the first oyster bed .. :eek:
Lisa , thanks I just hope it turns out as nice as the Larivee!!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Really! I can barely keep up with the mess I have now let alone add another boat to the pile.:facepalm: You must have a serious drive and work ethic to tackle all that you do. My hats off to ya. Looks like a great project, and I'll be tuning in for the ride.:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just kinda happened that they all hit at the same time ... A few days of grinding kryptonite will prolly take the wind out of my sails !!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
splelps, if you're like me, and it reason sounds like you are, I get great satisfaction out of rebuilding so many older things and bringing them back to life. I guess that comes from not having a penny so many years ago and having to do everything for myself, if I wanted to continue using such. Back then it seems a total PITA, but looking back, it was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The things I've learned over the years has made life so much easier and cheaper these days. AND the fact that I can't afford to hire others to do the work for me still... I will be watching your new project closely... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep gm , when ya can't afford to pay someone to do things ya have to figure it out on your own ... And it's kinda fun usually !
Everything but grinding glass that is .. Speaking of which I started doing some this afternoon when I got home .. Just starting by knocking the old rattle can paint job off and hitting some of the old tabbing on the port side gunwales ..
Will poly stick to the old looks like zolatone splatter or will that all need to come off .. I have a feeling I already know the answer.. :facepalm:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Were it mine, I wouldn't trust the poly to stick to anything other than clean glass... Enjoy your grinding!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yea it,s tuff grinding but I guess it,s gotta be done .. :grumpy: Think I'll make a h/f run tomorrow and grab some 24 grit disk . All I had on hand was some 36 grit .
I'll probably just leave it on the trailer and add some more bunks and supports until the new deck goes back in ..
How am I gunna run the steering cables for a c/c .. I can put a raceway in for most of the wiring but the steering seems a bit problematic ..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
sphelps I ran a 4" pvc from cc to rear and used double 45s plenty of room to run steering and controls, battery cables. You probably would be fine with 3"

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a tricky one you will have to have some offset for that steering, I have a friend with a older bay hawk center console, I can run by his house and see if I can tell how his is run