"Save The Manatee "

zool

Captain
Looks great Sam!....wether you do the accent color 1st or last doesnt really matter, but like Arch said, its less work to do the accent color 1st, even if you have to sand a little overspray off, and i think the stripes look "crisper" when inlaid then on top, looks less like a decal without clear. Mine is gonna be trickier cuz im not flipping it so i gotta do alot of overhead painting.

But since its only 29 deg here, not even thinking of doing it now :eek:

I envy your clean, empty garage space too!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Bad day for my Gators but a good day for painting I suppose ...
IMG_2258 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2264 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2266 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2271 (800x600).jpg

First coat very little OP .. Second coat a bit more OP ... Not enough for me to worry about though ..
Turned out ok I reckon ... I really like this paint so far .. Just 2 coats covers very well .. Gunna take it off the trailer tomorrow then a trailer rehab is in order ..
Now that it's out of the garage I think I will clear some space and build a cradle of sorts for the Wagemaker ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Zool , it's only clean and empty in the pictures ... :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Kc ! I guess I should have rotated the pics before posting . :facepalm:

chevymaher

Commander
Color you wanted not withstanding. That turned out nice and is a good looking boat now.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Same that looks fantastic! Trailer rehab.....I always seem to turn that into a major project! Looking forward to seeing what you do to it.

Sorry about your Gators, I caught a bit of the the game. My Sooners rolled so I was a happy guy! There were some good games yesterday.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys !
Arch , not a big trailer project I hope I do want to make it a little longer and strengthen or replace a couple of cross braces that are bent . Don't plan on any long trips with this boat . It's only about 3 or 4 miles to the ramp I use and that's prolly 95% of the time .
On a side note I do not recommend using the 3-M Platinum tape to mask anything off ... Every bit of glue was left on the stripes that I used it on .. The reg edge lock 3M did fine with no residue at all left at about half the cost .. Gunna take a little effort to remove the glue ..:mad: I tried a spot with some goof off that worked only so so ..
Mineral spirits worked well . I just need to be careful until the paint cures ... MS didn't cut this paint at all when I tried it for clean up .. Best for clean up was Xylene ..It work a little better than acetone ...

chevymaher

Commander
I found the yellow tape works the best. Blue tends to come loose. Yellow sticks but the glue doesn't do that.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I used 3M's 401 green tape on Fuggly, its specifically for automotive paint. I have also used the 3M general purpose tape and had good luck. I am wondering if there are some solvents in the paint that wasn't comparable with the paint? Cleaning up tape gu always sucks.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Prep solvent/wax & grease remover works great for removing tape residues
3M yellow auto body tape works great and its solvent proof so it wont leave a sticky mess
The green is better for taping curves but it also costs more
In my 20+ years doing auto body the yellow 3M is the best bang for your buck
Dont use the tan big box store masking tape they generally dont hold up to solvents
THAT LOOKS AWSOME!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
This stuff might come in handy for using poly over foam .. I could see building live wells and such out of foam then using poly so you could gell coat ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
seems to me it could assist you on anything you made a foam core with , cool stuff wonder how $ it is