"Save The Manatee "

jbcurt00

Staff member
Enjoy the vacation in 2wks. Wish mine had been longer, we really enjoyed it.

The Admiral is back in Ormond Beach, but she'll have to fly home when it's time, no Florida road trip in my future :(

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ... Really looking forward to the trip . A buddy of mine at work that does a lot of fresh water tournaments has hooked me up with some lures to try out down there ... I don't fish much fresh water so just a bit lost on what to use and where .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well make sure you enjoy what ever type fishing you can get in. I've never fished salt water and know absolutely nothing about it. Heck I couldn't tell one fish from the next in salt water. And I hear those fish have huge TEETH too. :faint2: But fishing is fishing and any type has to be better then no fishing... Enjoy your time off sphelps... I'll be waiting and watching for your updates on the boat after R and R is finished... :thumb: :fish2:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys ... Really looking forward to the trip . A buddy of mine at work that does a lot of fresh water tournaments has hooked me up with some lures to try out down there ... I don't fish much fresh water so just a bit lost on what to use and where .

Hey Sam,
Have a great time. Worms always work.lol!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
gm, Fresh and salt water fish all look the same in the frying pan .. :hungry:

Kc, Plastic worms are in the bag of goodies my buddy gave me ... ;)

I did get some more grinding done this afternoon .. And ya know as I worked my way up the starboard gunnnel from the transom . And just about up to the bow.. I just paused for a moment .. Reflecting on where I'm going and looking back where I've been . Standing there no one around . Just me, the grinder in hand .. Looking down at my white dust covered tyvec suit with my work boot busting through the footies . Briefly looking to the side as my yellow lab.. well.. sits there licking himself stopping for a moment to scratch a flea... then back to licking .. All in one motion . I look up and see the sun starting to set through the trees and over the salt marshes .Wonderful is the orange glow ... A layer of grinding dust settling on the Borum looking like fresh fallen morning snow glistening on some mountain top that I've never witnessed .
I feel that I have made my peace with grinding . If just for a brief moment in time ......... :joyous:
Good night all ... :sleep:

zool

Captain
I have a significant grinding session ahead of me too right now...it just doesn't seem quite as majestic as you describe lol....but the torn tyvec suit is spot on! My vision has the torn tyvek suit, worn flap disc, and tight quarters........no salt marsh or mountain top....but there are the 2 oversized, inbred Poms....but they're just inside keeping my couch seat warm til I return ..

I don't think ill ever make my peace ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
gm, Fresh and salt water fish all look the same in the frying pan .. :hungry:

Kc, Plastic worms are in the bag of goodies my buddy gave me ... ;)

I did get some more grinding done this afternoon .. And ya know as I worked my way up the starboard gunnnel from the transom . And just about up to the bow.. I just paused for a moment .. Reflecting on where I'm going and looking back where I've been . Standing there no one around . Just me, the grinder in hand .. Looking down at my white dust covered tyvec suit with my work boot busting through the footies . Briefly looking to the side as my yellow lab.. well.. sits there licking himself stopping for a moment to scratch a flea... then back to licking .. All in one motion . I look up and see the sun starting to set through the trees and over the salt marshes .Wonderful is the orange glow ... A layer of grinding dust settling on the Borum looking like fresh fallen morning snow glistening on some mountain top that I've never witnessed .
I feel that I have made my peace with grinding . If just for a brief moment in time ......... :joyous:
Good night all ... :sleep:

And on the 7th Day, he rested!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok , got all the way around the gunwhales and transom ... Cut out the old stringers so all thats left is the bottom ... They used dimensional lumber looked like maybe 2 layers of csm tabbed in a few inches and that's it . No bedding at all ..

A god send after grinding off all of that zolatone aka " The Devil " !
Debating on laying up a layer of glass over the whole hull .. I located a new supplier in town and want to see what they carry in stock . I know they have 1708 ...

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok , got all the way around the gunwhales and transom ... Cut out the old stringers so all thats left is the bottom ... They used dimensional lumber looked like maybe 2 layers of csm tabbed in a few inches and that's it . No bedding at all ..

A god send after grinding off all of that zonolite aka " The Devil " !
Debating on laying up a layer of glass over the whole hull .. I located a new supplier in town and want to see what they carry in stock . I know they have 1708 ...

Sounds like you are going to do exactly what I did with my grinded out tri-hull. I covered the entire hull with poly resin and CSM for the initial layup. And as I install the stringers and bulkheads I will then cover them with the 1708. Should be stronger then initial manufactured then... Your project even look kind of close to mine... I'm following along to get more ideas... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep gm they are a little similar .. They both started out rotten and itchy ! :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welaka but we may swing by New Smyrna Beach on the way back ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey you could pull one of your boats up and show me how to do some fresh water fishin ! That part of the river from what I hear is spectacular !

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I,m about 95% done grinding the inside of the hull .. There is light at the end of the grinding tunnel !! :joyous:
Nope thats just where I grinded through the hull in one spot .. :facepalm: I don't know what kind of moron the po was but I swear there must have been 20 screws going through the bottom of the hull . I did notice a few cracks in the hull under the glass . I guess with all the stringer tabbing and all that will be installed I can fix whatever needed when I flip to work on the bottom ...
I picked up a few supplies yesterday .. 5 gals poly resin with hardener 10 yrds 1.5 csm and 11 yrds 1808 biaxle . The place I picked it up uses about 3- 55 gal drums per week so his resin is always good and fresh ...
I.m gunna have to do something to get the boat under cover before I start any major glassing . I could put it in the garage but then the MFG would be outdoors ya know ! I'll figure something out .... :playball:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sphelps, I think I may have you beat in the Uh Ohs with grinding through hull. I had so many that I was wondering if it would stay together to rebuild at one time. And that IS the reason I covered the entire hull with poly and CSM before doing anything else towards rebuilding. I think it will float now, but really wonder if it would ever at one time. I am following your project to see what you are up too. That grinding is the pits. But once done, things literally start to look better. But you have to clear away all that white power that is everywhere first to see... Keep up the great work... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep gm , I was actually thinking to myself that I went this far without grinding through. About 30 seconds before I did it ! :redface:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yep gm , I was actually thinking to myself that I went this far without grinding through. About 30 seconds before I did it ! :redface:

Yea I honestly know what you are saying. I grinded one whole day and thought, wow, I didn't make any Uh Ohs! And the next day, I couldn't grind anything with out grind through. In fact I thought there was something wrong with the angle grind...because it couldn't be me.... :facepalm: Ha I'll be watching your efforts to see your great work... :thumb:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Getting too hot down here for freshwater...been targeting these little girls...got this one last week. She came off the gaff as soon as she came over the side, threw the treble stinger hook into my lower leg, with the main hook still in the corner of her mouth and proceeded to go ape-poop around the center console..that was fun, said no one ever!!! But, I got her home for dinner so I won....until lock-jaw sets in from the rusty tetnus laden hook, hahahaha!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Now that's 1 fun catching and eating fish!! Good for you friderday! And Sam only 1 hole thru the hull..That's a record setting number. Only 1. A neighbor came by way back on my boat and says...Ohhh there's a hole in your boat. LOL! Yup...no biggy just another fixin.
That mahimahi, we call up here or dolphine is so pretty when it comes up fresh out of the water. Colors like the rainbow.!