"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok gentlemen ,we will just agree to disagree on the subject . It don't matter how ya get there as long as ya catch some fish when ya do ! :) :focus:

I felt good enough yesterday to add some temporary supports under the hull and along the insides of the rub rails for climbing in and out of the boat ..

Much better for climbing around .
Also this may help for anyone trying to straighten the hull or get a twist out prier to glassing in decks . Run a string diagonally from each side of the hull .
When the string just tuches each other you know it's set pretty true .. The same concept you would use setting a door frame ..

If I get to feeling better I may do some grinding today idk ...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Hope you get to feeling better. It's always hard to get motivated when you are also fighting off some kind of crud. The string idea to check for hull straightness is one I'll be filling away for later use. Very ingenious in my opinion.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks well supported now! ^^^^^^I agree, the string idea is ingenious! Hey, I can see at least one other project boat in the background in a couple of your pics, and I think that's pretty cool.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have 4 total sitting out there but one of them is going on c/l real soon to be given away . One is my son in laws , and the other is a cool gofast ski boat in waiting for restoration .. :joyous:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got things cleaned out a bit . Surprise surprise ! A big nest of bull ants !

Have a great week everyone !!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Been thinkin, researchin, and drawin!!! Found out that 8" radius is the minimum Teleflex recommends for bending the steering cable. Soo if you can mount a Rotary system to the CC you MIGHT make this work just not sure of your dimensions... You prolly already got this figured out!!! Nice job on cleaning her out!!! Doncha just love ANTS!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
8" is a pretty tight radius .. I think I could work with that . The metal rod at the end would be the tough part to push through . Unless the end that goes to the helm can snake through easier ...
Luckily I got all the ants out unscathed !! ;)

Finally threw down on some new PPE today .... Can't wait to try this new full face respirator out !

Got a pack of the disposable clear shields with it also ... :painkiller: :joyous:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kicking some butt there Mr. Phelps! Like the new rags. Hope your feeling better.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Back long ago I used to have to wear one of those when in production work. Very dusty work. I used the canister type filters with the plastic cap and a felt pre-filter. Every hour or so during a break I would remove the pre-filter and knock all the dust build-up off. End of the day I would dispose of the felt. Those costly canisters lasted much longer that way and agree those disposable tear-offs are more than worth what they cost.

BTW, you look good in it! Hope you're feeling better too.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lookin good Mr Phelps!!! Nothing beats the full face respirators...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Sphelps look at plastic electric conduit the 90 and 45 are long sweep

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! feel a little better but haven't kicked it out the door completely yet ..
minch your right the grey electrical conduit would probably work the best ...
Have a great Friday all !!

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even sick you are moving at warp speed compared to what I'm getting done, looking great

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice progress. Wish I would have put up the extra couple of bucks for the full face respirator then I could of looked that cool too :lol:. Keep up the good work!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Managed to get to some grinding .. Got about half of the zolatone or whatever it was sprayed on the sides of the gunwhales ground off . Tough stuff I think I went through 4 or 5 24 grit disc on just the one side . Full faced respirator was awesome ! Nice not having to wear safety glasses .. When the lens gets dusty just lightly hit it with the air compressor and all is good !

I figured I would start at the top and work my way down to the bottom of the hull .. Saving the stringer demo for last ...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Excellent progress sir! That full face mask should help to keep the skeeters off of ya too...

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Looks like you made some good progress.. Don't ya just love grinding..LOL
I need to break down and get one of the full face mask when I get back on mine..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great hearing from ya Decker ! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods ! Yep I wish I had spent the extra cash on the mask a long time ago . Got it through our company safety supplier so was able to save a buck or two ..

Nurseman , our skeeters are big enough to wear mask down here ! :eek: But fortunately it's been really cold and they been hibernating . Never got above 65 degs today ! Burrr ! :cold:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Nurseman , our skeeters are big enough to wear mask down here ! :eek: But fortunately it's been really cold and they been hibernating . Never got above 65 degs today ! Burrr ! :cold:

AAAUGH!! Poor baby. Our projected high for the week is 20, maybe. But then I haven't seen a skeeter in 6 months, ha ha!