1979 Borum Bobcat ski boat restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Heck, even I don't have a Thickness Sander!!! I do have a Couple of Planers and a 8" and 6" Jointer 3 Table Saws, 14" and 10" Band Saws, A 10" RAS, Lathe, half a dozen routers and sanders and about as many clamps as NurseMan. Problem is most of it's wired for 220 so trying to run it from an RV might be problematic. I quess you can get 220 out of some Generators.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody if ya do come down don't forget to bring all your tools because I'm sure I won't have everything we need in my garage ..

Had to take a break from sewing for a while . I sewed a couple panels wrong side up and had to step away for a bit ... :frusty: :rant:
So I had to start laying some planks ... Started with a with the hatch cover ..then on to the bow ...

Hand scraped Brazilian .. :D

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure what I would do if I didn't have all my clamps...Besides, I can't even imagine paying shipping on those:eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The Wood, WOULD, look SWEET!!! I say go for it. I'll take vacation time and come help!!!! 16hr drive. I'd have to drink a lot of Big Reds! :D;)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Had to take a break from sewing for a while . I sewed a couple panels wrong side up and had to step away for a bit ...

Dont feel bad, I some how had to manage to turn regular vinyl into magic growing vinyl during but last bout with pleats!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The old singer ,, I have taken the Kenmore back to moms house and set it up for her ... Its working ok but I have not done the cleaning it really needs . Been using the #18 needles and have broken 2 so far .. Had to make a make shift thread tree stand thingamajig because the way I had it set up before it was getting hung up every now and then , Then I had to reset the tension after that ... Getting the hang of the no reverse thing . I need to find one of the smaller pulleys for the motor as you suggested to slow it down .. I may post some pics of what I have so far over here . I don't want the girls to see them until there all done . They have been busy taking care of there grandma after she broke her arm ...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Okay so I see that the great minds have come together on another project to turn what would be a great restore into an awesome restomod. Oh yeah I'm gonna be tagging along. This will be interesting.

On a side note my father in law reupholsters church pews on the road. He has a pretty good little workshop a Mercedes transit style van, but I'm pretty sure most of his woodworking tools are 110 volt. He does have a generator that can run some 220 tools. I can see it now a fleet of vans all black with a red stripe, and anywhere there is a boat restoration problem the I-team shows up to lend a hand! Hey it could happen.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I can see it now a fleet of vans all black with a red stripe, and anywhere there is a boat restoration problem the I-team shows up to lend a hand! Hey it could happen.
I don't have a mohawk or gold neck chains, but can I be BA?
I pity the fool who don't {insert iboat's approved rehab procedure** right

Really more like Murdoch :facepalm:

Can't help w/ the Singer, but I'm sure you'll knock the vinyl work out of the park for the ladies. Are those woodflooring planks solid hardwood, or laminated? LOTS of those floors have a nice top 1/3rd of the plank's thickness layer from the tongue/groove up, but the bottom 2/3rds are a plywood lamination.

I recently found a GREAT local resource for mahogany, walnut and cherry planks 10-12" about 8ft long 5/8-7/8" thick, thru Craigs. So look around, might find some really good wood for this project. Reclaimed or hurricane salvage cypress would look good too. IIRC though cypress often has fairly twisted grain so it can be tough to work w.

Good luck w/ the continued demo here and the vinyl work.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah jb , those planks are some engineered planks I got to put in my house from H/D .. I see a guy here on c/l that has mahogany and such . I'll have to keep an eye out . I do have a buddy that pull 100 + year old logs out of the water and makes wood flooring and trim with it .. I should give him a call and see what he has laying around ..
I love it when a plan comes together !!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Okay so I see that the great minds have come together on another project to turn what would be a great restore into an awesome restomod. Oh yeah I'm gonna be tagging along. This will be interesting.

On a side note my father in law reupholsters church pews on the road. He has a pretty good little workshop a Mercedes transit style van, but I'm pretty sure most of his woodworking tools are 110 volt. He does have a generator that can run some 220 tools. I can see it now a fleet of vans all black with a red stripe, and anywhere there is a boat restoration problem the I-team shows up to lend a hand! Hey it could happen.

Welcome aboard !
Would be nice to see that van pull up to my yard and finish these seats for me ... :D

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Oh, Samuel...you've got a bad case of MBS!! I'd send ya some of my meds, but since they didn't/don't work on me, can't see why they'd work on you...Furthermore, I know I'm just an old girl, but I have the sure fix for your trailer...you fellers just over-think everything...tilt your head the other way...never know the difference!! Oh my, she is sure gonna be purrty!!

bear_69cuda

Commander
Brutha Sam,

I really dig the new project! Such sweet lines on this hull. I also agree the wood looks killer go for it!

I'm signed up...

This boat will be scary fun with a 175!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Lisa , not sue if the meds can handle such an ailment .. But they might put me in, lets say , a more creative mind set . :eyebrows:
And as far as the trailer ... I knew you would come up with a simple straight forward solution to such a complex problem ..
And thats why I heart ya so much !

Brother Bear ! glad ya stopped by ! Yeah I was wanting to do another cool project and I think this one should be a lot of fun ...
Sure hope the 175 checks out ok . I have not had the chance to dig into it yet ...

Well I didn't get as much done on the girls seats as I had hoped this weekend . I had to build an outdoor canine containment area ,aka , fenced in dog poopy pen ..
Got em all cut out and about half way sewn ..

See nurseman's not the only one with clamps ...
And amongst all the clutter are the beginnings of some boat seats ..

Back to the grind tomorrow to start a fresh new year !!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm, seems like I recollect that color combination from somewhere????? Hmmm!!!!!! As always.. Quality craftsmanship. What's the maximum Stitch length on that Old Singer??

Status
Not open for further replies.