Cox Craft 85 Gutted and Rebuild.........ing

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat loaded and half way down. The water pump dropped its guts over the road on the way down and of course the water pump is part of the timing belt......10 hour repair.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok....I need help in the correct product selection in the following items please,

Polyester resin. Which one? As in which type of resin rather than a brand name (I am in Australia after all)
Cloth grades and quantities, multiple hull repairs, new stringers floor and transom.
Plywood grades, quantities for stringers floor and transom.

I'll need pots and stirrers, chip brushes and rollers and all sorts of consumables.

Boat is 17ft long and it had a 5 stringer system with the keel stringer only 3-4 inches high.

If you can point me in the right direction that would be awesome!

Cheers from Oz

fritz691

Recruit
I have redone a few boats and I must say you are doing a fantastic job on this boat. And if you want it to last you always end up doing it better than the quick job they do when they make them. I completely redone a Sturrey 18 ft that came to Canada from the USA .I ended taking the whole top off to redo the stringers.Fiberglass is very itch, I but servived . It took me about a year before I could put a motor on it , then found out the motor was no good .My wife said go buy a new one so I ended up putting a 115 Merc outboard on it .After completed , it could handle any wave I hit. way stronger than when made. I wish you all the luck at finishing your pride and joy as mine was. Happy new year . ( Since then I have moved up to a 30 ft crusier and looking forward to more pics of your boat as it is being done)
Ted
North Bay Ontario
Canada

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
What all exactly will you we doing? This will help us to help you with quantities needed. You'll want to get a Un-waxed Ortho Laminating Polyester Resin. You'll also want to get Cabosil, and some 1/4" chopped Milled Strand. If you want to make your own Faring material some Glass Bubbles will be needed as well.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
What all exactly will you we doing? This will help us to help you with quantities needed. You'll want to get a Un-waxed Ortho Laminating Polyester Resin. You'll also want to get Cabosil, and some 1/4" chopped Milled Strand. If you want to make your own Faring material some Glass Bubbles will be needed as well.
Hey woody, long time no hear.......I've been away from home for nearly a year and have since moved lock stock and barrel over a thousand miles to my current location.

So I've found a supplier for all the f\glass components and some bits and pieces. They can supply me with 20mm honeycomb composite panels for all the structural components, stringers, deck, bulkheads and transom at nearly the same cost as marine ply.

Here is the list I'm putting together

3 x 20 litre unwaxed ortho vinylester and catalyst
roll of csm (what weight is best for light structural repairs and waterproofing?)
How much 1708 (or equivalent) strong structural repairs like stringers, decking and transom.

I'll get a number of 1 litre (or so) of as pots for resin during the wetting out of the glass.
Stirrers rollers gloves clamps (all hail nurseman!) etc.

Cabosil for PB and loose glass.

Am i missing much?

As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers from The Darling Downs in Queensland!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey woody, long time no hear.......I've been away from home for nearly a year and have since moved lock stock and barrel over a thousand miles to my current location.

So I've found a supplier for all the f\glass components and some bits and pieces. They can supply me with 20mm honeycomb composite panels for all the structural components, stringers, deck, bulkheads and transom at nearly the same cost as marine ply.

Here is the list I'm putting together

3 x 20 litre unwaxed ortho vinylester and catalyst
roll of csm (what weight is best for light structural repairs and waterproofing?) 15 yds of 1.5oz CSM
How much 1708 (or equivalent) strong structural repairs like stringers, decking and transom. 10 yds of 1708

I'll get a number of 1 litre (or so) of as pots for resin during the wetting out of the glass.
Stirrers rollers gloves clamps (all hail nurseman!) etc.

Cabosil for PB and loose glass.
5lbs of cabosil.
Am i missing much?

As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers from The Darling Downs in Queensland!

See above. Glad you're all settled in from your move and getting back to work on the boat. Hope you get her back on the water soon!!! We'll be watching so just let us know when we can be of assistance!!!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
See above. Glad you're all settled in from your move and getting back to work on the boat. Hope you get her back on the water soon!!! We'll be watching so just let us know when we can be of assistance!!!

Thanks woody you are the man!

I've just finished rereading your "Fabricating Decks, Stringer and Transoms" on your link at the bottom of your posts.

Rereading it with fresh eyes and perspective as someone about to embark on the major repairs required so this time i was your student. I'll refer to it constantly throughout the next few phases.

Thanks again, be safe

Cheers from OZ

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks woody the list is a great start. I'll be ordering in a week.

So I have moved the boat to it's new home. A friend of mine has offered me some space in his shed. Power and a breeze facing north too and the roof is high enough to not get too hot in the summer days heat.

Transom to come out soon then the big grind will begin. Pics as each stage starts, cause we all know that it's not true unless you can see the pics.

Its already 2016 here so be safe iboaters!

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
8uacSBtejew6YETQCX8zAQbZKHMU4xhcylN6nBpNprM2_od3wERJ0cY0Y0HfJ00XX91mzu0kUDLzrtAzIMaOQwTYzde_yFc5cvVLLRXDaNraQT56zFl8_B_PSDdatkWOiE94lqAowr6K4-U1Eo-JLOdlgaDA5f47WHi_UJp5TRWn2PV-271vUMHZIzzmb1vDlFyV_DvAsbhWlFgqQAZ2IcHVLc4eX6BYl8EEbqXSPPgXRyz0-ZYDnM1oGpEYYiZritfhceZTNXHcxG9tBbPLuJb97NvA8TOlwBQ6zyZDAnmi-zDPPN6n7Dz5ZJmnGpxsuBUf_Tvc4d1X2S8lEkQDu-OPh4Y1YKgxyDMA265uvgUv6wDZPhtC4rFvpJSMdtH1cn4rV3_znafwk_YK7wuxL7ZGFmJTk5QM-RxYEnLEuBO9iJ9U-Jvmor0W1zyOtIaAbSWyauMdpz-Mr3hecCgQsf1cKdswmZksVdtXZTL49X_pNGOmNT_G--XjDT3oixJVtxtShFcPBN3OgHMuCE2DCxwWq97doVwP8rB5anyCQFdO10Q0aljnXtkTQ-0zlvf0HHX2-ho7K3y1oT8fNtRGpgv-u4cq87wktrRKa4K3TvROGy8fAVrO=w1267-h950-no

mLS3kexbQA6QmDWz8
https://goo.gl/photos/mLS3kexbQA6QmDWz8

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
20190828_105954.jpg Hello...long time no boat action

Got motivated and started cleaning the boat with the high pressure after the old girl was almost absorbed by the overhanging tree...

more updates to follow

Barra