Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Agree on the popcorn ceilings ... The most hideous spray finish ever invented ...
I prefer mine like this ..:pop2:I have been debating on changing my painted trim to stained trim for a while ..
I think in another 5 to 10 years I may make the call ...:D

Pusher

Lieutenant
That's enough to wear a guy out. I'm just trying to get caught up with To-Do's and I'm almost out of vacation doing it! You're making good progress though. It's handy you decided to pull the carpets after doig the ceilings.

Sphelps, do you ever get the feeling that the next step in home design will be to eliminate mouding? It seems like the standard floor kick, large victorian moulding, and sharp corners are all going away. If someone designs a way of transitioning withought moulding I'd probably be on board.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pusher they have drywall trims that do that! We use them on some contemporary spaces sometimes. The drawback is that they don't do well unless the cleaning crew is careful!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep and if the drywall is too close the the floor mop water tends to wick up the wall and start to mildew .. Thats why we pick the rock up a little off the floor and use caulk to fill the gap if required ..

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have been away for a bit... First, BOOMER SOONER!!! Second, everything is top notch as usual!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Boomer Sooner! Hope to get back to it in a few weeks Cor. The house is taking a bit longer than I hope, but is looking nice. I was in the shop the other day and thought I would love to be out here instead of painting in the house! Looking forward to getting her wrapped up and splashed!

chevymaher

Commander
Boomer Sooner! Hope to get back to it in a few weeks Cor. The house is taking a bit longer than I hope, but is looking nice. I was in the shop the other day and thought I would love to be out here instead of painting in the house! Looking forward to getting her wrapped up and splashed!

You and me both. You doing a heck of a job and that is a good looking boat now.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hello all, hope things are going well. I am just about back, the house is almost done other than new base board.......can't find my profile so I am going to have some made. I have a few punch list things to do, then move furniture back in. I am slowly getting back to Fuggly. We had sleet and ice today, so I worked at home for a while then did some real homework!

service manual 1.jpg

I am trying to decide if I want to use the 1.98 ratio drive that came on the 120hp or the 1.65 ratio that I have. The 1.98 looks to be in better shape, but I kept reading online that the 165hp I am putting in her came with a 1.65. The service manual actually list both of those ratios as optional, and the 1.84 as standard. Anyone have any thoughts? dumb question on here!

Looking forward to getting back too it this weekend!

Attachments

• service manual 1.jpg
    service manual 1.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i dont see where the 1.98 ratio would hurt, i mean honestly they rate engines but how many actually hit that max rating?
you might find yourself changing the prop

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would recommend you find an on line prop calculator and run the numbers with different pitch props. Most 4 cylinders came 1.98:1 and the V6 with 1.65:1 not sure what the inline 6 came with. You want WOT to be at the max RPM range of the engine.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I did run a prop calculator on it, but that of course depends on hull performance, which is a total guess right now. I think I came up with a 23 pitch that gave me the correct WOT. I think that is why the "standard" ratio shown in the manual is the 1.84 ratio, one size fits all. But maybe the other two are list depending on your hull configuration / weight?

The funny thing about prop pitch, is two can have the same pitch and perform completely different. Our local prop shop has a loaner program where they will give you a couple options to try. I did that with my other boat last summer, and 3 different stainless props of the same pitch were like night and day. One pulled down the WOT rpm a bunch, one over-reved and one worked nicely.

The more I have thought about it, the more I am leaning towards running with the better of the two, the 1.98. I can always swap it out later.....maybe I am overthinking this....imagine that!

Ice and freezing rain here today. I wish it was nicer so I could move things from shop to shop and get back to working on her.....of course I would be working if it was nicer lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Finally getting back to it today. I have been sitting here trying to figure out what to tackle first. I think I may try to finish up the last little bit on the seats and get them put up and out of the way. I still need to touch up the epoxy some and put the spar varnish on the bases. I also need to mount the hinges, not looking forward to that. The piano hinges I have aren't drilled, so it will be some quality time with the drill press!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys, not a lot today other than trying to figure out where I was and what I need to do. I did sand down the epoxy on the seats today and put on the first coat of spar varnish. Its nice to be back working on the boat and not remodeling the house!

Attachments

• photo286181.jpg
    photo286181.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 1

Pusher

Lieutenant
Anything boat related is a good thing. I'm extending my fence just to fit the 12' boat behind it. Definitely worth it! Keep it up. Your boat is going to be awesome when done. I think we're all rooting for you at this point.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Mike I will give you a call now that I am back to boat work! Thanks Pusher, I am looking forward to getting her wet!

Today I switched gears and hauled the drive into the shop. I ran a pressure test per the sticky in the Mercruiser section. That was after looking for my tester for an hour....need to organize! It checked out fine, so I have decided to just put a water pump in and run with it.

I think changing the water pump was a good idea, this thing hasn't ran in forever!

Yes that is a dirt-dobbers nest! and all the stuff on the cardboard fell out of the pump housing. The new pump seems to have some minor differences. One was minor, threaded bolt instead of a screw thread that secures the two parts of the housing together. The one that is an issue is the new area of the base that has the o-ring is about 2.350" and the old one is about 2.250". So the new one will not side into the lower unit correctly. I need to do a little research tonight and check to see if I ordered the wrong one. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Everything else looks the same.

Attachments

• photo286230.jpg
    photo286230.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 1

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
opps did some research and guess who ordered the wrong water pump :facepalm: Oh well given the pit of money, what is another 25$!