Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So I have another project.....I got the idea....or inspiration, while surfing around on youtube. I came across this episode of Stacey David's show......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hmmm....what do you ave up your sleeve.....????

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I thought, "that thing is so ugly, its kind of cool". I have been looking for a quick fixer upper to have on the water next summer. Miss Morgan is awsome, but not so much if there are more than 2 of you. So I was on craigslist and came across this, 1971 powercat. I thought "That is so ugly its kind of cool". I almost clicked on the back button, but then I saw the hull configuration......a catamaran set-up..sort of.....so I went to look at it, pretty amazing shape for the age. The guys who had it, got it when they bought a 69 caddy convertible from an estate sale. After some haggling, I hauled it home.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I thought this might be a fun hull to check out, I have no idea how she will ride, but it looks like a cool setup. 20141026_152315.jpg

zool

Captain
That type of setup give a real stable platform underway, Arch...you can pile a bunch of ppl in there, even the Omega Moos...if you felt so inclined :D..whats the inside like?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I was looking at her from the side the other day and thought "she looks kind of like a DUKW amphibious truck....hmmm,...maybe I could splice her together with the jeep.......naaa one project at a time! So over the next few weeks I will be poking around on this and getting ready for surgery.....:)......'grinder.....vice grips.....sawzal...." I think the patient will make it, lol!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Powercats have a HUGE following, so if you fix it to flip it, there is a market.....

BTW the pix of it didn't post..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Corgen, you are starting to sound like my freind Mel.....she was the first to say,"um what did you buy? explain this crazeyness of yours to me....." Women! :)

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Subscribing to this one too. Good luck on the rebuild!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
JB, I think I got the pic fixed, still don't have the hang of things around here since the update. I did notice they are popular, they have some pretty cool hulls.....I think this is the Ford Econoline van version, lol!

Zool......um.....Omegamoos????? I'll scuttle her first! You will be amazed at the hot chicks this thing will pick up! (hey that guy with the ugly boat gives away free drinks........) One has to have the right bait!

As for inside........its all there, orginal gauges, controls etc. Seats, well they would make a termite cry, not much but mulch and vinyl. As for the deck, I ask the car guys who had it about that. "its got a soft spot, but you can just patch that right? BBBBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAA". So we have a "replace the deck project. My guess is the transom too, but who knows. First step is to see if I can breathe life into the 4 banger....if not maybe something with a little more hp....:)

Last edited:

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tagging along if you don't mind. Lots to learn here !!!! I like Fuggly, I'm weird like that... What can I say. Well, I could say a lot, but... bring on the Fuggly !!!!

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
20141026_152355.jpg

That is one of the most attractive classic boats I've ever seen! It has that west coast, aluminum jet boat look. I'd put a late model, high horsepower 4 stroke on it. I know exactly how I'd build that. Nice find!

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
wow I love this boat can we call it a try or atleast a cat. very cool Ill be watching

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very Cool Arch! So It's an IO 4 banger? It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of the bushes and the barns. Always something new, even though it's old, that I have not seen before. :thumb::popcorn:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Nice find, Arch:
I love it... Signing on for this one....

Hope all is well,

PMC

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I thought, "that thing is so ugly, its kind of cool". I have been looking for a quick fixer upper to have on the water next summer. Miss Morgan is awsome, but not so much if there are more than 2 of you. So I was on craigslist and came across this, 1971 powercat. I thought "That is so ugly its kind of cool". I almost clicked on the back button, but then I saw the hull configuration......a catamaran set-up..sort of.....so I went to look at it, pretty amazing shape for the age. The guys who had it, got it when they bought a 69 caddy convertible from an estate sale. After some haggling, I hauled it home.

Arch, this boat is right up my alley!!!! I like to call it eclectic tastes....!! I just like something that no one else has.....kind of like motorcycles, why have a Yamaha R1 just like all the other thousands out there or you can have a KTM Superduke!! There is a few more boats out there that if I can get my hands on I would be in itchy glass boat heaven ..1964 Johnson Deluxe, Lone star metor....those types... I have no doubt you will make this gal pretty!!! mind if I tag along?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don't think its fuggly at all ! I'll bet it's as stable as it gets . Looks like a very fun functional boat !
Btw is that the bilge pump discharge up on the front . Seems like an odd place for it ...