Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
BUT my wife is also guilty of it as well. She over looked it while helping me look... :cool:

You might be able to get a group rate at the local Sunshine community. :eek:

I do the same thing all the time.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Been buried at work, EVERyONE wants something NOW all of a sudden....... I is all together except the remote oil filter bracket and an lines. I went on vacation starting yesterday sort of....work followed me till this afternoon. I have been working for the last week and a half on the stuff around the acreage that I had been ignoring! I am off to the lake for about 10 days, then I hope to get the bracket finished up to break it in. Then some lake time in Aug. Just been pulled in about 10 different ways lately! Normal life gets in the way! Why couldn't people want stuff in March when I didn't have anything to do lol!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Enjoy the time off and don't forget to put your phone in the toilet tank until you're ready to go back to work.

Put the Plastigage in an easy to find spot because Fugly may be misplaced while you're gone. Fug will be with the Plastigage and that illusive hose. LOL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, I think the answer to your question about why can't people want things in March, that is because that too is a sub-sentence of the Murphy's law syndrome. When you have nothing to do, nobody needs you to do anything. But the minute you have more then enough to do, everybody wants you to do things as well, and they want it done yesterday too. Ha, I don't make up the laws, I just read them... I too understand that section of the Murphy's law as well. Seems feast or famine.

But now forget about everything and enjoy your precious time at the lake. Amazing how such irritating things drift away when you are on the water.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hope everyone is doing well! Good to see Wood is on the mend!

The lake was good, I was burned out on about everything including Fuggly. I do have a tip for everyone. Galaxy S9 phones do not float......:facepalm: Most expensive part of my vacation lol! Still trying to recover my data, hopefully I can get that done on Monday.

Went back into the office on Thursday and it was a fire drill naturally. And of course after being gone for 10 days the yard looks like a jungle. We had a wind storm while I was gone so spent last night picking up branches, nothing big just lots of little ones. The I spot sprayed sand burs.....nasty little stickers. This morning I sprayed what needed round up with round up....it was freaking hot at 10 am! Just took Miss Morgan to the car wash and scrubbed her behind the ears. I fired up the AC in the Hangar and plan on at least making a template for the remote oil filter bracket today. Tomorrow I have to mow....good thing I have the 34HP Zero turn......I'm going to need it! Or the brush hog on the Kubota lol! So slowly back to Fuggly, but I think the last thing I have left is the oil filter bracket and making up the AN lines for it. Then we can fire it up and see what happens!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know what you mean about "coming home" scenario. Seems the vacations are great, but it is almost like you have to pay the get-back-to-work price and try to get everything caught back up again. The vacation feeling quickly fades away and the humdrum sets in. Isn't life great!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I usually have to pay for mine before I go on vacation lol! Only reason my return was a fire drill was because of a deadline on Friday. I originally turned down the project, they wanted me to have it done before I left....no way that was happening! These deadlines keep getting dumber. The client came back and asked if we could have it done a few days after I came back and that is what we did. I had a guy in my office work on it while I was gone, and all I had to do was check the drawings and we had to correct them Friday.

I did get the template done today....I might try to fab the bracket in the morning before it gets hot. I can always bounce around on the mower later in the day. At least I get a breeze then!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Schedules are just nuts these days .. Everyone wants things done in a day .. Night shifts ,covid , hard to find anyone willing to work .. QC goes down . I spent most of last night fixing humps and bumps because all my help are idiots ! I almost quit Friday .. Was headed to the elevator with my finger on the call button and my other finger on speed dial to the boss .. Took a few breaths turned around and huddled the troops for a few minutes for discussions ..
OK rant over ...
Glad you were able to get away for some lake time Arch !
I'm past due I think . :joyous:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Luckily my guys are still on point and we are busy as hell but i have experienced those days sam, arch it builds up while ya gone don't it , probably one if the reasons i don't vacation, i know whats waiting and prolly not come back lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Finally had time tonight to finish up fabing the bracket. I need to get it painted, mounted, then make up the AN lines and I think we will be ready to see if it starts!

I used the old block for reference but mocked it up in the boat......so it SHOULD fit lol. I am starting to think I should start a business making brackets :D

I did lots of measuring upside down and luckily nothing is really tight at all on this. I put the filter further back than it had to be to give me a bit longer AN lines so that they had gradual bends. Last thing I need to do is fight with them at this point. It will make sense when it is hooked up!

After measuring, doing some tracings on the bolt bosses on the old block, I put together a quick CAD drawing. I was too lazy to head up the office and plot it on my big printer, so I did some paper splicing for the template :D Here is a series of pics, hopefully it makes sense, if not it should once I have it hooked up.

20200725_150637 (002).jpg20200725_155542 (002).jpg20200727_183418 (002).jpg20200727_185509 (002).jpg20200727_195545 (002).jpg20200727_195554 (002).jpg20200727_200138 (002).jpg20200727_200145 (002).jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I am mounting it to the automotive engine mount bosses if anyone is wondering. I left room for a mechanical fuel pump also, just in case I decided to go away from the electric.

GA_Boater

That old block keeps coming in handy. :smile:

Once you get it installed and start her up, check for vibration. With a fairly long bracket and the weight of the filled filter, etc., the bend may flex. A couple of small inside gussets would take care of that.

Sitting here bored in COVID Haven, I don't mean to question Arch, The Bracket Man. You're doing great work!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks GA, the vibration has crossed my mind too, I have been debating that. I didn't have the right hardware tonight but I think I will bolt it up and see how it "feels" tomorrow. Loosing the oiling has been on my mind.....loose that and the magic smoke will escape the engine in a hurry! That is the reason I spent a chunk on the AN lines....hate to screw it up with my bracket!

We are all good here, all I have to do is put on my grinding space suit, and I can go out in public with no fear lol!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
arch, I like your manufacturing of brackets. You seem to do things the right way. And since you do like doing such things, have you ever watched "Bad Obsession Motorsport" and their project Binky? I think you would love watching those two guys. They are all the time building brackets and such.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks GM. I just want them to work, and not to look like the engine mounts on a jeep I have. They are made from galvanized water pipe, angle, and bar stock....all neatly cut with a torch and gack welded together with a coat hanger or bailing wire. To bad I can't take credit for them lol! I just would like these to blend in and look appropriate.

GA_Boater

Trying to come up with a snappy comeback on the Jeep motor mounts and it's hard. I need more time! :doh:

Sounds like a winter project now that you practiced on Fugly.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
For about $100 I can get a complete conversion kit from Advanced Adapters.......sounds a lot easier to me that building them lol! Especially if you get the drive line alignment out of whack.....which I think it is. The jeep is several winter projects lol......I don't think there is a driveline piece that doesn't need completely overhauled. I have it sitting on about a dozen carpet tile samples to keep the dripping oil off the floor! They work great by the way, carpet soaks up the oil and the plastic back keeps it off the floor.

GA_Boater

The good news - Fuggly Jeep can't sink! And no glass work. :D

I'm keepin you from work or fabbing the oil lines. Maybe both. :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got about 2 hours tonight and made some progress but no paint. I picked up the hardware after a meeting today....Ace loves me lol! After slightly over drilling the holes on the block mount, which I should have done to start with (bet I was only off 1/32" on the 3rd hole) I mocked up the bracket. Fit nicely, and I think it is plenty stiff. It is 3/16" plate.....and I will keep an eye on it, but I think it will be fine. One thing that I had been trying to ignore was the fact that it makes the perfect spot for another bracket.... :facepalm: It seems Mercury designed the wire coming out of the cannon plug to line up exactly where the dipstick wants to be. I have been ignoring this for a while thinking I would just put some fuel line on the wire as a wear surface......makes me twitch thinking about it. Anyhow I ended up fabing a simple bracket for a mounting point to guide the wire around the fuel pump. I still need to trim the end of it off, round it off with the grinder and drill a mounting hole. I think I will be happy I did that when I am in the middle of the lake asking myself.....what is that burnt electrical smell :eek: A little trimming tomorrow night and I should be able to get it painted.

20200728_185738 (002).jpg20200728_185759 (002).jpg20200728_185943 (002).jpg20200728_200429 (002).jpg20200728_202052 (002).jpg