Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Oh NO! We haven't pestered you with "When's the splash?". Have we?

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arch, you must be getting really good at dealing with frustrations! In my old age I may be getting better. After my garage through-wall ac backed up, drenched the wall and ruined several cases of ammo, I got it out and measured the max opening at 14.5” tall and 24.5” wide. I finally found a replacement at Lowest that they said was 14”by 24”. After making my own sheet metal sleeve to help any water leave by way of the exterior, I wrestled the unit up and tried to insert it. No Go! It measured 14.875” tall. It only took me 10 minutes to cool off and start demolition. It now works even better than the one that was there when we bought eight years ago (that had rusted through the bottom).I can’t wait to hear unFuggly run!
Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok engine is back in, engine mount nuts are where they are supposed to be....and the engine is aligned! Now to start hooking things back up! I actually spent more time driving around looking for 4 fine thread nuts than I did putting the motor back in. You would think a $1000 manifold would come with all the hardware!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Actually I have to correct that statement. It came with bolts for the connection I am talking about. I forgot I found NOS studs for it......why I decided it needed the studs....OCD I guess lol. So I did get the hardware, I just changed it and forgot to buy the nuts lol!

GA_Boater

Arch - You should put all the stuff you can't find in one box to make it easier to find when you need it the next time. :stupid:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You seem to forget that Murphy HAS to be there anytime you are doing anything. It is the law!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got the drive in tonight. I was trying to get it in last night.......and it seems the planets didn't want to line up. I looked through my manual and seemed to have everything right....I am something of a pro at it now anyhow! I watched a video on it tonight, guy with a British accent....one coment he had was some times you had to give it a kick in the bellleeeeppppe" or something to that effect. I forgot it can get a bit hung up on the o-rings on the shaft. so got it in, about 1" from being pulled up tight and smacked it hard with my palm. Went right in. I was going to put the new stickers on but ran out of time. I will do that tomorrow and post a pic....don't want to do that without her makeup on!

GA_Boater

Jolly good show, Old Chap!

Achris says to use Size 9 persuasion to get the O rings seated.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
"anti-clockwise" cracks me up every time I hear him say that lol! You don't here that much in OK lol!

GA_Boater

Chris is Australian from Perth. I like his vid about gimbal bearings. Actually all his vids are excellent.

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep, Ive done that on a few transmissions. Thinking I know i got it all right, why wont it go home. Sometimes I have been collected enough to go back and think through it but... Usually I loose my temper and a frustrated boot sends it home. Now I use a hunk of oak, that i sawed a handle onto, when i need gentle but firm persuasion. I worked with a distinguished guy years ago that told me the palm hammer would give you knots.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Chris is Australian from Perth. I like his vid about gimbal bearings. Actually all his vids are excellent.

Hes a wealth of knowledge! You gotta wear your big boy underpants when you head over to the merc forum tho... bound to get your feelings hurted lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here is a bit of an update. I was wanting to work on the oil filter bracket this evening.....however it was HOT and humid. The Hangar has AC....the other shop with the fabricating equipment in it does not.....I was planning on adding that this year.....then a virus jacked up my budget. Anyhow I chose to stay cool. I got the stickers on the drive, hooked up the U pipe on the manifold for the exhaust (why does Mercury like fine thread bolts and studs...turn 1001.....1002). I also searched in vain for the new rubber exhaust hose that I have that goes from the manifold to the J pipe without luck, I'll find it next week. And got the carb on and the linkage / lines all hooked up. I hooked up a few odds and ends wiring items and had to call it. Not much left to finish hooking up the engine tomorrow. The temps are supposed to fall off Fridayish. Might just wait till Saturday morning to build the bracket, this one is actually fairly simple compared to the last. I think it will actually just be one piece, maybe a gusset or two at the most. Here are a couple update pics.

20200630_202246 (002).jpg20200630_201233 (002).jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch,

"I also searched in vain for the new rubber exhaust hose", If you really want to find a lost anything, buy a new one and it will be found laying right in front of you. I think that is Murphy's law #2. At least I think of #2 when it happens to me...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yeah that is what happened with the plasti guage! At least I don't really need this part, just wanted to replace it while it was apart. I'm sure it will show up later sometime!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, true story. I was looking for my chainsaw and couldn't find it. And that went on for a few days. I thought one of my sons came and "borrowed/kept it" That happens more then you would think. But I asked and they each say no they didn't have it. So needing to do some cutting, I went and bought a new Stihl Chainsaw.

I took it home cranked it up and low and behold literally right in front of my face was my chainsaw sitting in the plastic chainsaw case in the breeze-way that I over looked a few times. Old age is a beach!

BUT my wife is also guilty of it as well. She over looked it while helping me look... :cool:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
checkin in where we at? :) i came to see splash picks and mph photos and was dissapoint!