Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I haven’t had a regular set of prints in a long time . Everything is on procore , bluebeam , and the hated Bim 360 .
Some are easier to navigate than others .. I like regular prints better that is unless I gotta carry em up 6 flights of stairs ..
On large projects we use a Hilti robotic layout machine that we we feed the cads into . My son is in charge of layout with that .. It’s amazing what he can do with it once set up on 3 points .. Now it it would only strike the wall lines down So I wouldn’t have to bend over it would be perfect LOL !

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Don't get me started on Procore Sam....that damn thing sends me reminder emails every 30 minutes.......Blah blah blah submittal is ready for review.....Step one, down load. step two print. step 3 redline, step 4 scan step 5 upload. "I miss send me 3 copies and I will mark them up, have your runner come pick them up."

Well I "surfaced" from the lake today. I had the chance to hide out for an extra couple of days so I did! Weather was great! When I got home the missing engine mount parts were in the mail box. Heading to pick up an impact driver tomorrow and getting back to it tomorrow evening. Hope everyone is having a great week!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
:lol: yeah i get daily punch list reminders till Im sick of seeing them ..I prefer bluebeam just because its easier to make detail blown up prints i can give to the guys in the field ..
Glad you had some lake time . Getting away is always a good thing ..

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m just happy with it being Saturday every day and not having to keep up with all my Architect project managers and contracting officers. Now it’s just me and my Admiral.
Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
20200603_174339 (002).jpgOffending component removed!

Back to being productive! I got it out with the impact driver, no heat. I did have to beat on it for a bit before it gave up. Looks to me as it has just been in there a while and froze up. Someone must have tightened the snot out of it. Anyhow that drama is over. Glad I took a step back, and thanks for all the ideas! Now unfortunately I have to mow the yard, not work on the boat. But fingers crossed I should have it in the boat this weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
lawn mower is kind of a required component lol! Should be back to boat things tomorrow night. Didn't want to have to use a machete to get to the shop!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Don't ask me why, I knew how well that impact driver worked, but I bet I haven't used it in 20 years. I bet it gets used sooner than that next time!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So after mowing I went out to the shop for a bit. Don't ask me why but I got to thinking about how the front motor mount bolts on. We are all good on port.....but the starboard mounting flange on the block is AWOL. I assumed they used accessory mount locations for the Mercruiser engine mount. That looks to be correct on the port side but the flange and mounting holes on the starboard side are missing. I am guessing either the blocks were cast Mercruiser specific or the new one I have didn't come with whatever bolted there in a car application. Good news is there is another flange on the block I can use, I just need to weld / heat and beat an adapter bracket into shape to mate the block to the engine mount. Probably another good reason for me to have taken a break. I think I would have blown a fuse if I realized that last week lol. :bounce:It will slow things down a bit, but I don't think will be that big of a deal other than a little extra work. I am glad I noticed it tonight, need to check to see if I have the steel for it or need to pick it up this week. It should be kind of interesting to fabricate.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you compare the blocks? Merc didn't have special blocks cast, but maybe early and late blocks are different.

Checked early and late 250 6's and the mounts are the same. Now the 292 uses the side mounts like a car in an oddball arrangement with a tie bar.

You have the spacer block for the starboard side?

spacer.png

Attachments

• spacer.png
    spacer.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 1

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have the spacer block. I will take a pick later today of the two blocks. The new one is simply missing the mounting flange that the other one has. I didn't think to look and was surprised in the difference. I am just glad I can fab something up and solve the problem in a few hours. Who knows, I am betting it was for an accessory this block didn't have when it was cast.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
20200604_130200 (002).jpg20200604_130148 (002).jpg So here is the problem, the two 3/8" holes in the top picture are where the mount attaches. Notice the "ear" is missing in the second pic. The horizontal piece that sticks out from the block is there, just not 'ear". The piece that is there is over 5/8" thcick and has a half inch hole in it. I am wondering if that was a lifting point for assembly? I also have two 3/8" bosses in the head right above it. I am sure those are for mounting accessories.

I plan on making a new ear, having a horizontal plate that ties it back to the 5/8" thick piece and another vertical brace that goes up to the two bosses to help brace it. Might not be the sleekest solution, but I think it should work. I realized last night since it has 4 mounting points, and the assembled engine weights around 550#s with the manifold, it is really only supporting around 150#s or so. I wish I had thought to check on the accessory mounts, but I didn't. Anyhow I think it will work or I guess it could break! I don't care at this point I'm just running with it and we will see what happens!

Attachments

• 20200604_130148 (002).jpg
    20200604_130148 (002).jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200604_130148 (002).jpg
    20200604_130148 (002).jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Arch - Ya re-thinkin' about that 4.3 ?

I was mixing up port and starboard when looking at the block pics and parts drawings. :facepalm: This is wearing me down and I'm not dealing with all your offensive components!

You should be able to fab up a mounting block bolted to that lug and flush to the timing cover face of the block. About a 1/4 of the weight is carried by each mount as you said, so it should be strong enough with the added brace. Maybe the brace isn't needed and the lug is strong enough, but belt and suspenders won't hurt.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I actually checked to make sure I was right on the orientation lol! It happens!

I am guessing this bracket will be over built, but beats under built! Heading out to the shop in a bit to pick up some of the mess before I get started with this. I think I am going to make cardboard templates, then fab the steel off of those.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well I cleaned......wait cleaned is to strong of a word....re-organized my mess into steel fabrication mode. I also mocked up the mount and figured out where it goes. I am feeling better about this now, it may take a while to fab (mainly because I don't want it to look like 2" angle stick-welded to part of an old bumber, lol) but the mock-up validated my thought process. And I also realized that one of the 3/8 head bosses has held half the weight of the engine, that is where the front lifting eye goes. So between the lower flange and the two bosses I think we will be in good shape. Pain, but it is my fault...see a trend lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So I had a bit of time this afternoon to start thinking through the bracket(s) Yep it is looking really redneck....

20200605_163428 (002).jpg
Hopefully the final version will look less redneck. Don't ask me why I care 99% of the world wont see it or even know. Anyhow this mock up did give me a good path to what I need to do....cut, cut, cut, tack weld, grind, weld, grind...file....etc. This is the point where I wish I had a vertical metal band saw or a plasma. Which I could have if I hadn't bought Fuggly lol!

I started to rough it in with card board, but the the thickness in this is critical. I have to dodge the water pump hose and the oil filter to get a fairly strait path to brace the mount from the head. I have the remote oil filter kit, which I was planning on installing later or next fall. Turns out putting it in now will make all this fit much better, but of course creates a new project. :facepalm:

I need to pick up some hardware and rummage through my steel stockpile to hopefully find some pieces that will let me refine the the concept a bit. Having dinner with my parents tonight.....and it is hotter than hell so I think I will hit it first thing in the am and see what we come up with!

GA_Boater

After painting it's gonna disappear. Good thing you put the remote oil filter adapter on, it looks tight.

Fan pulley alignment looks perfect! LOL