Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man I hate those stubborn slotted fasteners, almost always have to make a custom tool, then heat and beat for 3 days before they magically just pop loose. Hope you get it after a few days off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Arch, Why can’t you mig weld a nut to the plug (weld inside the nut) and use a socket to immediately remove it?
Cheers

Option two came to me after an adult beverage. Not sure why I didn't think of this before. Put a 3/8 or 5/16 nut over it and weld the ever......living.....bleep out of it with the MIG through the middle of the nut. Then apply ample torque to it while it is hot.

Mmmmmm! I see yer always thinkin'. Try reading. :boink: :bolt::peep: I hope you're smiling. :D

Water pump pulley looks lined up now. :smile:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
See that is apparently why I need to go to the lake.! :facepalm: Thank you Pcola...sometimes I get wound a bit tight and miss things, apparently it takes a while to sink in....maybe the cast iron is in my head :D I think I totally missed that post!

One thing that I did think about was the thermal shock of the steel expanding in the iron block. (again over thinking) But really the amount of heat it will take wont be much. I thought about some preheat but, I don't think it warrants it with what the MIG will put out. If you put that much in you wont have a nut left. I feel better now for some reason! Thank all of you for your ideas, this is what it is about. Now I can come back and deal with the Offending Component. If anyone else has other ideas just chime in please.

We also now know that GA will sleep better not having nightmares about mis-aligned pulleys lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I want to say again thanks Pcola! My brain must have not been in gear, I tonally missed it!

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arch,
Sure thing. I guess I should have used all caps. I was so quiet I made no tonal difference.
Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pcola....you should lol! And next time I will make sure it is totally and not tonally

I am an architect and we do everything in all CAPS. Ask Sam, he is a contractor and will vouch for me! I actually hand wrote a letter one time and asked our receptionist to type it up back in the day. It came back all caps......which I meant for it to be typed in a normal business format....but like I said we do everything in caps and she took it literately! I am still trying to figure out why we do things in all caps, the only good reason I have is most of the letters are more discernible....I's don't look like L's etc. So feel free to type away in caps!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
My Aunt is an English teacher......I drive her nuts between the all caps and our architectural acronyms lol!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I wonder quite often what architects are thinking ... :rolleyes:
Do not scale drawings .. yeah right ! :lol:

Last edited:

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think all caps must be standard. Even way back in the 60’s my first lettering template was all caps. That may be why we all moved from templates to hand lettering to AutoCAD with all caps?
Cheers

GA_Boater

I think caps are easier to read on blueprints. Are blueprints even used today?

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The welded nut thing works well. I have removed several broke studs that way. They were flush and in motoers I didn't want to pull. I would tap the trigger, wire brush clean and repeat until I had a "stud". Then I would weld a nut and while hot it would come right out. Never tried on a tapered fitting like that. That screw head looks whooped. I would still give the hand impact driver a quick shot first. Once you weld you can't go back but if the weld is clean it should work fine

briangcc

Commander
I think caps are easier to read on blueprints. Are blueprints even used today?

I'll date myself now....blueprints - NO.

Prints - Yes...depending on the customer.

And yes, I know very well what a blueprint is - dad was a NYS Registered architect. I grew up with the circular pencil sharpeners where you would put lead into a pencil (stylus) and twirl it around to sharpen it. Copies were made on bluish paper with darker blue being the drawn content.I work in an Engineering/Manufacturing company and even the days of prints is dwindling.

GA_Boater

But back to the newly found offending component...get it out yet there Arch??? :)

Instead of having a beer, he's pouring can after can into the motor hoping it will relax and give up the plug. Or Arch is at the lake having beer after beer to relax because of the newest offending component. :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Engine, what engine? Just me and the beer here at the lake lol!

Ah the lead pointer, I still have one of those!

I miss blueprints, they were easier on the eyes than black on white we have these days. I swear the line weights were better also. I hate staring at the black and white prints all day. And yes we still used them, my office always has them on the walls floor, where every! I don't think architecture can ever be paperless lol! Its funny sometimes you end up looking at 3 drawings at the same time.....its hard to do that on a computer. It is funny o, you can look at a mistake all day on the screen, print it and it jumps right out at you!

I do think I will try the impact driver first then proceed to welding if that doesn't work.

Right now sitting on the deck is more fun.....might have to get the kayak out later and make motor sounds!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, could you transfer the "blueprints" actually black print, to Diazo prints? When I was in school we made what they called Oslet prints. Which I can't find anything remotely like that name, even on the net now. But diazo printing was actually the same type prints we used. White paper, blue lines. I still have a total complete set of casting and machine drawings I made for a simple drill press vice.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone miss someone knocking the ammonia bottle off the blueprint machine? That was pretty harsh as soon after it hit the floor. But, blueprints were easier on the eye.
Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Oslet, I think was a trade name, I think they made blueline machines. Blue prints were usually made from either mylar original, which I would guess that is what you had or from paper with the original printed on bond paper. Actual blue prints should have a white paper background, although it was never totally white. There were a few other odd things out there, I have actually seen the reverse where the background is blue and the lines are white. I think my local print shop still has a blue line machine.

GA_Boater

I believe blue prints started disappearing with the advent of CAD. When I worked in the petro-chem world, CAD drawings were plotted and depending on the contract, drawn blue or black on a white sheet, Blue plotting gradually going away and black on white became the norm. Black ink had larger ink tanks.

Back to Arch making motor sounds in his kayak and other boaters giving him funny looks, especially when trying to get on plane with a windmilling paddle! :D