Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

tallcanadian

Captain
That’s going to suck, having to pull that motor again. However, and it won’t make you feel any better, it’s better that you noticed it now. 😉

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
TC it actually isn't too bad....I'm guessing a hour or two to get her out and a few more to get her in. I am dreading what I find under it,lol! Hopefully it is something simple, guess we will find out!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Still not back to Fuggly, but getting closer. I have been studying the service manual and I am wondering if the leak might be above the engine. Haven't looked yet, there are several return hoses that go to the reverse lockout valve and hydraulic trim sending unit that are accessible from the top. I didn't replace these lines since they looked like pretty much no pressure lines. I think they are a nylon air line type plastic tubing. That was the other reason I didn't replace them, I wasn't sure what the spec on the line is. If someone knows, please point me in the right direction.

Anyhow, after reading the testing section, sounds like they can be under several hundred pounds of pressure. Also if pressure is lost in that part of the system it will keep the reverse lockout valve from working. I need to study it more (meaning with a cup off coffee, not a beer :D ), but as I am understanding it, the reverse lock out keeps the drive from pivoting up and loosing thrust while in reverse. I may have that wrong, but I think that is right. I do remember that reverse didn't work very well the few times I used it. I am wondering if something in that area bought the farm and puked out the fluid. Hopefully I can spend some time soon trying to sort it out.....summer is coming! :eek::eek: :D :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I also have a friend who owns a ton of heave equipment......I may have to bring him in to help, he loves hydraulic fluid lol!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Lol that is pretty cool! Looks like she could use a little work!

Yeah, I think it needs quite a bit of work. It is listed as a 1963 OMC Dual Deluxe. It has two rather interesting looking V4 engines, 88HP each. But supposedly it has all the original emblems and everything. Can't figure out if the hood over the engines is missing, or if there never was one. Looks neat though. It is in SC and they are asking $3000. It is tempting but no idea how hard it would be to find parts for it if some would be needed. They were apparently only made for one year if the seller has that info right. Anyways, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought it resembled your boat. It's been listed for a while so it may be gone by now.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
No hijack I think that is pretty cool. I am really digging the dash that is cool! The engines look like outboards turned on there side. That would be a great project to restore, but I bet finding part would be a challenge to say the least!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No hijack I think that is pretty cool. I am really digging the dash that is cool! The engines look like outboards turned on there side. That would be a great project to restore, but I bet finding part would be a challenge to say the least!

Ah, I bet you're right. I didn't think of outboard engines. That could very well be. I'm going to pass on it, so if anyone else is interested and it is still available, go for it. But I also really like the look of it. It would look really good properly restored.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hello all, its time for an update. I have been busy on some other projects, but got back to finishing up Fuggly this weekend. We had a number of punch list items that came up on the shake down cruise. The water pump had a slight drip, so I ordered one of those. The bigger issue was a leak in the hydraulics for the tilt trim. I spent Saturday studying the new service manual I got for it (Mercruiser service manual, volume 1). It actually shows all of the components for my particular system, including the hydraulic cylinder that actuates the sending unit. Apparently they only made them a few years. Also found a NOS hydraulic cylinder and sending unit.

That is pretty much the good news. Bad news is I located the leak on Sunday. It is coming from where the hoses screw into brass bulkheads in transom plate. So in order to access the leak to see exactly where it is leaking and repair it I have to put the ENGINE! Which means I have to pull the drive also..... :facepalm:

Not exactly what I was hoping for. I played musical chairs with boats, cars and tractors last night. Hopefully tonight I can get a work bench set up and pull it out one evening this week.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sad to hear that Arch.

We really need to give thanks to the days our boats, vehicles, house and health are not an issue for the moment. I absolutely know what you are talking about though...

Wish you luck and better days...

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Damm that is bad news about pulling the engine. I'm not jealous of you today, the day you splashed yes but engine pulling day nope.

Hope it goes smoothly (as it possibly can). Looks forward to updates

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Man, that sounds like a lot of work. I have never worked on a stern drive so I have no experience. But look at the bright side. Think of how good it will feel putting things back together after finding and fixing the problem. Good luck!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Aw Dang! Sorry to hear that. It seems to be a theme this month.

Cheers......……………...Todd

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
HI all, well today is the day. I finally got everything organized and some free time to start pulling the engine......I have been setting here for 20 minutes thinking am I really doing this again, lol! Well its not going to fix itself, so I guess I better get after it!